Calgary Transit CTrain Service Disruptions

• 3 weeks later...

April 14-16: Anderson and Canyon Meadows stations closed 

Temporary service change

Affected route(s): 201 

Affected station(s): Southland, Anderson, Canyon Meadows, Fish Creek-Lacombe

In effect: April 14, 2017 - April 16, 2017

Over the Easter long weekend (Friday, April 14 through Sunday, April 16) Anderson and Canyon Meadows stations will be closed. Shuttle buses will connect passengers between Southland, Anderson, Canyon Meadows and Fish Creek-Lacombe stations.

Reduced parking at Southland Station

A portion of Southland Station’s parking lot will be closed to store equipment for the maintenance work. More than half the lot will remain open, and the full lot will reopen for Monday, April 17.

Here is how you can get to where you're going from:

Why is this disruption necessary?

At Anderson Station we are replacing a switch, repairing a road crossing and replacing lighting. At Southland station we are doing maintenance work on the track bed to ensure tracks are level and in line with platforms.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/service-updates?nid=73579

And this is why...

Two men are in hospital after getting thrown from a bucket lift truck while working on overhead power lines on an LRT track.

Paramedics were called to a tunnel at 42 Ave. and 1 St. S.E. at about 3 a.m. Sunday. They say the men were working on some overhead power lines.

“The truck that the were travelling in may have begun to slide down an incline, causing the bucket to strike some overhead infrastructure, causing them to be thrown from their bucket approximately 20-feet down onto the ground,” said EMS spokesperson Stuart Brideaux.

A man in his early 30s had head and back injuries, while a man in his early 20s had head, back and arm injuries.

“Both were considered to be serious at the time of transport, but stable and non life-threatening and each were taken to the Foothills Hospital,” said Brideaux.

Officials are investigating the incident.

http://www.660news.com/2017/04/23/two-men-thrown-bucket-lift-truck-onto-lrt-tracks/

These guys are EXTREMELY lucky to be alive. Lots of damage caused to the overhead because of this. 

• Like 1

I noted there are 4-car SD160s running revenue service today (Sunday) on the Red Line - was on 2222 as one of the end cars of a 4-car consist. Is that related to compensating for the reduced frequencies stemming from the above incident, or is it the beginning of weekend 4-car service?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TimmyC62 said:

I noted there are 4-car SD160s running revenue service today (Sunday) on the Red Line - was on 2222 as one of the end cars of a 4-car consist. Is that related to compensating for the reduced frequencies stemming from the above incident, or is it the beginning of weekend 4-car service?

No, due to the service distruption.

That consist came off the tail track at Tuscany. Initially only three consists came out of Anderson this morning and 1 or 2 consists from OBMF.

A shuttle bus was sent to Anderson garage to pick up operators to transport them to Tuscany tail track to take those trains off the tail track to service the northwest.

2 S200s were supposed to come out but didn't make it out because of those operators going to Tuscany.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed they've made a few interesting changes to the shuttle routes and naming for the upcoming downtown closure.

There are no more references to 'Blue Line shuttle' or 'Red Line shuttle' on any of the posters at stations or the disruption map, they're just named after the two terminus stations. I did notice with last weekend's disruption at Heritage, none of the buses were using the Red Line shuttle signage, only the station codes. Maybe in the future either the station codes or the Red/Blue Line Shuttle codes could be converted into PR codes so both could be used at the same time. :)

But they are still used on the shuttle maps:

Red Line shuttle no longer uses Macleod Trail in both directions, but instead, when travelling southbound, takes 4th St SE and then heads through the stampede grounds (with a shuttle stop next to the Saddledome!). New stops on 9th Ave & Macleod Trail, and 6th Ave & Macleod Trail. Closer to City Hall than the SB shuttles used to get when using Macleod Trail, lets them stop in the same place as Blue Line shuttles in both directions, and probably helps traffic on Macleod around 7th Ave.

Blue Line shuttle is similar with a new stop at 9th Ave & Macleod Trail. I don't know why they aren't using 3rd St SE since they have to double back from 4th St to get to 5th Ave anyway. Maybe the road is closed or they want to give the buses more room to get over several lanes? The new bus bay at Bridgeland is also in use for the first time. There's really only space for one artic in it though, so that could be interesting...

Some really good changes, I look forward to seeing how they play out.

• Like 1

They should install gates that lock with the crossing signals at all level pedestrian crossings,  except for 7ave.

14 hours ago, LRT said:

A bit of a late reply but that like the 5th death that I can remember at the south end of Whitehorn since they opened that end of the station. 

1 hour ago, thager said:

They should install gates that lock with the crossing signals at all level pedestrian crossings,  except for 7ave.

If they had locking gates then people could get trapped on the tracks. 

In my opinion they should just keep everything the way it is because safety measures get abused anyway.