Calgary Transit CTrain Service Disruptions

To my understanding a U2 consist had a disc brake fire last night some time. Ended up getting parked at Tuscany tail track.

THEN.... another U2 consist had another disc brake fire earlier this morning at the beginning of service. It also was parked at the Tuscany tail track right next to the other one.

Two trains on the Somerset-Fish Creek leg today. The trains, after drop offs at Fish Creek, continue north past Fish Creek and use the interlocking to switch tracks with operators at both ends of the train. Interesting procedure!

Also, I just got here and I am already noticing almost everyone getting confused about the location of the shuttle bus stop. Everyone went to the north bus loop first instead of the Kiss N Ride.

Edited by Nicholas Blonski

Two trains on the Somerset-Fish Creek leg today, with operators at both ends of the train. The trains, after drop offs at Fish Creek, continue north past Fish Creek and use the interlocking to switch tracks while the operators remain at their positions at all times. Interesting procedure!

Also, I just got here and I am already noticing almost everyone getting confused about the location of the shuttle bus stop. Everyone went to the north bus loop first instead of the Kiss N Ride.

Interesting. Those interlocks are never used so its nice nostalgia.

Two trains on the Somerset-Fish Creek leg today, with operators at both ends of the train. The trains, after drop offs at Fish Creek, continue north past Fish Creek and use the interlocking to switch tracks while the operators remain at their positions at all times. Interesting procedure!

That questionable wording suggests there are There are 2 operators per train and operators remain in one end, one cab the entire work day.....which is not the case..

Only 1 operator is assigned to each key and operates the train in both directions A second operator, the same operator for every key, boards each train at fish creek station as they come in. The main operator carries on south of the interlocking. The second operator pulls the train through the switches and onto the platform. The main operator walks to the south end to relieve the second operator.

• 2 weeks later...

Some sort of work going on down town closing all of 7 th ave on may 15-18 the sign at Dalhousie days prep work for 4 car ctrains......

Correct. New put switches at city hall, track circuit upgrades, traction power upgrades to name a few. Nearly 4 pages of stuff being done within that weekend. Begins friday of may long and every thing is regular business tuesday morning, minus 11 trains that start from 69th and tuscany instead of oliver bown and anderson.

A truck flipped, from the marks along the barrier it looked liked it contacted the wall around the far end of the platform, spun/flipped and landed on the south side of Crowchild. Looked like a pretty high sided truck so may have crossed over the barrier into the Ctrain row as it was flipping, back into the road.

Was out for about an hour and a bit this morning taking some photos of the C-Train shuttles for the planned closure this weekend. Every single bus I spotted, I think 17 or 18 total was a bike rack equipped articulated bus. Good to see, I don't recall seeing this before on a planned disruption, maybe it's happened before too?

6086.jpg

I saw all three of 6061, 6062, 6063 today. I was impressed that not a single non-bike rack bus was out on the shuttle at all today (at least this morning). Same can't be said for some of the other recent C-Train shuttles, I do recall some of 6001-6060 making it out there. Good that an effort is being made for sure, I agree.

• 3 weeks later...

30 minute delay on the NE line this morning, as a northbound train struck and broke a crossing arm near Marlborough station.

Honestly, pardon my informality but how the hell do these things happen?

I think I will take a guess at this one... Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that the crossing arm was more than likely hit by another vehicle which put the crossing arm into the path of the train.

I'll 2nd that.

30 minute delay on the NE line this morning, as a northbound train struck and broke a crossing arm near Marlborough station.

Honestly, pardon my informality but how the hell do these things happen?

Broken gates or pretty much any thing else on the track can cause serious damage to the trains safety components and other components under the train so the train stays put until it gets checked out by an electro mechanic.