Calgary Transit CTrain Service Disruptions

Not sure what time the following incident happened, but when I got to Brentwood yesterday afternoon around 1700 to start my peice of work, I noticed a U2 consist at the inbound platform empty. SO I went over to get a closer look and noticed that the pantograph on the lead car (#2002) was down, but the pantographs on the other two cars were still up. Upon closer inspection I noticed the pantograph was damaged at the upper middle part. To me it looked like the carbon (If they have one?! ) was damaged / broken. I believe there is like a strip of carbon along the top of the pantograph, but I had never looked that close at one before. At about 1719 when I was starting work on my route 20, I glanced back and the U2 consist was gone. Anyone have any more info (And corrections) on this?

You're pretty much bang on - operator heard a bang, substation went down. They finally got the substation back while the train had pantographs down, raised them and got the train to Brentwood. Cracked carbon shoe on car 02 pantograph, along with damaged catenary (a chicken and egg scenario). Lead car pantograph isolated and train returned to Anderson. Some service delays due to single-tracking and reduced speed through damaged catenary area until Enmax completed repairs.

Lovely... There's at least one every year during Stampede....

I would have to presume that the "0-1" is a suicide or someone being so blitzed out of their minds from the drunk fest that is Stampede that they don't get the fact C-Trains can kill?

Jon

http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/fata...ion-163982.aspx

On July 17, 2010 at approximately 1:15 am, a 17 year old Calgary man was struck by a southbound LRT Train as it entered into the Canyon Meadows LRT station. The victim suffered fatal injuries and died at the scene. The Calgary Police Traffic section is investigating and is asking anyone who witnessed the collision to contact them at 403-567-4000.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some guy got hit by a out bound train at Sunnyside Station at the tail end of the morning rush, he fled the sceen bleeding according to witnesses. He later returned to the sceen and probably went to a hospital to get checked out. Trains were backed up in the NW and South all the way to Southland and some 201s turning back at 10th street. The acceident train is at Crowfoot tail track right now.

"we are expecting huge delays on the northeast line due to an earlier accident with a train. Customers traveling to McKnight westwinds please disembark at Marlborough station and transfer to the route 57 north or a ctrain shuttle bus when it becomes available. "

:lol:

Edit:

At approximately noon today a fire crew on return from a call were flagged down by bystanders to attend to a victim of a C-Train-pedestrian accident at 36 Street and 26 Avenue N.E., just North of the intersection. Fire personnel rushed to the victim's side to render aid but the young man was already dead. Calgary Police are now investigating the incident.

"we are expecting huge delays on the northeast line due to an earlier accident with a train. Customers traveling to McKnight westwinds please disembark at Marlborough station and transfer to the route 57 north or a ctrain shuttle bus when it becomes available. "

B)

Edit:

It was a suicide.

• 2 weeks later...

10 minute delay on the ave due to a mechanical difficulty. This 202 has been sitting at 3rd street for 10-15 minutes now.

Edit: 5 minutes later its now a 15 minute delay.:lol:

Edit: 10 minutes later and its now a "major" delay. 202 still sitting here.

And hopefully final edit...half an hour later trains are now moving again.:rolleyes:

Finally a SD160 break down...

Not to blame them (as it is part of learning), but there's a lot of very junior brand new inexperienced LRT Operators out driving trains that might have driven during Stampede but seem to be getting a lot of day shifts and afternoon work since the last 2 weeks. It seems that there are more breakdowns and other issues appearing whenever brand new LRT operators start driving on their own regularly.

My train was 20 minutes late!! A U2 had it's brakes stuck on at city hall interlocking, what a mess!!!

So, it was City Hall...

Was on 2102 and had just got onto 7th Ave when our motorman announced we would be delayed because of a train stuck at City Hall.

Got off, took the opportunity shoot 2102 and the consist it was in.

I figured if the problem was at City Hall there should be at least 2 other Crowfoot trains on 7th Ave, as I had to be Lions Park for around 18:00.

Sure enough, caught a westbound Crowfoot train. We only made it to the next intersection where the motorman announced we would be stuck there for 10 minutes or so because the train ahead of us had broken down... which would seem to have meant a train stuck at 10th St?!

It did take about 10-15 minutes and we did get underway. Didn't see a single eastbound/ southbound train moving. At Lions Park was a train sitting, and continued to sit for 5-10 minutes after I got off before leaving.

Don't know why our motorman said there was a problem ahead of us, when apparently the problem was behind us at City Hall. Unless something else happened, or there were issues with backed up trains.

Signal A153 between Shawnessy and Fish Creek IB failed in the middle of rush hour today, all trains had to bypass to go by it. Some trains were delayed going in and out of Somerset.

So, it was City Hall...

Was on 2102 and had just got onto 7th Ave when our motorman announced we would be delayed because of a train stuck at City Hall.

Got off, took the opportunity shoot 2102 and the consist it was in.

I figured if the problem was at City Hall there should be at least 2 other Crowfoot trains on 7th Ave, as I had to be Lions Park for around 18:00.

Sure enough, caught a westbound Crowfoot train. We only made it to the next intersection where the motorman announced we would be stuck there for 10 minutes or so because the train ahead of us had broken down... which would seem to have meant a train stuck at 10th St?!

It did take about 10-15 minutes and we did get underway. Didn't see a single eastbound/ southbound train moving. At Lions Park was a train sitting, and continued to sit for 5-10 minutes after I got off before leaving.

Don't know why our motorman said there was a problem ahead of us, when apparently the problem was behind us at City Hall. Unless something else happened, or there were issues with backed up trains.

Not sure why he would say that, there was a big back log of trains, if 10 street was full there may of been a traffic jam of trains.

Not to blame them (as it is part of learning), but there's a lot of very junior brand new inexperienced LRT Operators out driving trains that might have driven during Stampede but seem to be getting a lot of day shifts and afternoon work since the last 2 weeks. It seems that there are more breakdowns and other issues appearing whenever brand new LRT operators start driving on their own regularly.

I agree, but this break down had an experienced operator and the electromechanics had issues driving it back to OBMF.

A lot of times other motormen not involved in the breakdown are the last to know exactly what happened and get told to "make PA's".

A lot of times other motormen not involved in the breakdown are the last to know exactly what happened and get told to "make PA's".

It's also a lot easier to tell passengers that the train ahead of you is broken down, then to explain that 'We can't move westbound because an eastbound train is broken down, which causes a backlog of trains westbound because the 202s at 10th Street can't leave eastbound, so the westbound 202s can't get into 10th street and block the avenue for the 201s westbound."

It's also a lot easier to tell passengers that the train ahead of you is broken down, then to explain that 'We can't move westbound because an eastbound train is broken down, which causes a backlog of trains westbound because the 202s at 10th Street can't leave eastbound, so the westbound 202s can't get into 10th street and block the avenue for the 201s westbound."

Great idea except it doesn't work for those passengers who are on their ipods. I just say usually say I don't know the degree of the delay (which most times is true. You just never know how long) and if I find out anything new, I will keep them advised. It is better to communicate with them then to have grey handles pulled or passenger emergency buttons going off.

They could put in a better system for station announcements and also have more accurate announcements. That would help. So many times we've all heard the person making those announcements to be giving the wrong info or just being way too loud.