-----------------------------------------------------------------

At approximately 16:45, Calgary Police, Fire and EMS

responded to 7th Avenue and 1st Street S.W for reports of a

pedestrian hit by a C-Train. Fire crews confirmed that there

was an approximately 30 year old female under the train about

eight to ten feet from the front.

The conscious female patient had head and arm injuries and

was not trapped. Fire and EMS crews assessed her, placed her

on a spine board and pulled her from under the train.

Witnesses told fire crews that she may have been chasing

someone when she was clipped by the train.

Fire Captain Lorne Morgan said "she was very fortunate that

there was road work being done where she was clipped." The

excavation around the tracks allotted more room under the

train. Anywhere else, there would have definitely been a

different outcome."

Calgary Police are investigating.

Date: Mon Jul 21 17:30:19 2008

Subject: Pedestrian vs C-Train

-----BEGIN MD5 -----------------------------------

CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE

pedestrian hit by a C-Train.

Media has that one backwards a bit IMO. To me it should be "CTrain hit by pedestrian"......

pedestrian hit by a C-Train.

Wow the media screwed that up real bad, she was not a pedestrian, she was riding a bicycle and she ran a red light! She is very lucky that she is alive today...

Wow the media screwed that up real bad, she was not a pedestrian, she was riding a bicycle and she ran a red light! She is very lucky that she is alive today...

Citybeat is actually the city's own website that releases information (and sometimes mis-information) to the media. The person that released the info about that accident doesn't have anything to do with Transit.

Hopefully she gets charged for jaywalking. I have no sympathy for her. She only did disrupt the commute home for someting like 100,000+ people who use the LRT system to get home every rush hour. What does that cost in money....nevermind how about people's time?

I have no respect for these cyclists. Especially the downtown bike couriers who go against all traffic laws. So many of these cyclists around town really need to have their heads examined and make up their minds. Are they vehicles or are they pedestrians? They can't just mix and match their own rules to follow. If they are a vehicle, then they have to follow all traffic laws that cars follow as far as 4 way stop signs, red lights. When they are crossing the road, they are to get off their bike and walk it across. I refuse to stop my bus for a cyclist that won't walk their bike across after pressing a pedestrian crossing button. I also reserve the right to pass an cyclist with a bus because that bike will never exceed 20 km/h. I'll give them the whole lane but will pass them in the next left-most lane and keep passing them even if I have to keep stopping at each stop (like the route 3).

Citybeat is actually the city's own website that releases information (and sometimes mis-information) to the media. The person that released the info about that accident doesn't have anything to do with Transit.

Hopefully she gets charged for jaywalking. I have no sympathy for her. She only did disrupt the commute home for someting like 100,000+ people who use the LRT system to get home every rush hour. What does that cost in money....nevermind how about people's time?

I have no respect for these cyclists. Especially the downtown bike couriers who go against all traffic laws. So many of these cyclists around town really need to have their heads examined and make up their minds. Are they vehicles or are they pedestrians? They can't just mix and match their own rules to follow. If they are a vehicle, then they have to follow all traffic laws that cars follow as far as 4 way stop signs, red lights. When they are crossing the road, they are to get off their bike and walk it across. I refuse to stop my bus for a cyclist that won't walk their bike across after pressing a pedestrian crossing button. I also reserve the right to pass an cyclist with a bus because that bike will never exceed 20 km/h. I'll give them the whole lane but will pass them in the next left-most lane and keep passing them even if I have to keep stopping at each stop (like the route 3).

Problem 1: bicycles are neither vehicles nor pedestrians. The traffic system that exists today does not accommodate the needs of cyclists (or even pedestrians for that matter), merely private vehicles, and even then, poorly. Bicycles do not move as fast as cars, nor are their operators encased in a protective shell as cars, nor are they as visible as cars. So relying in the old "ride like a vehicle" adage can land a cyclist in a lot of trouble on busy streets because bikes are not cars. On the other hand, paving trails that constantly force cyclists to cross the paths of vehicle traffic has been standard practice in most western Canadian cities. Not to mention these trails can force cyclist into conflict with pedestrians.

I've found that riding both "visibly" ("driving" like a car) and "invisibly" (hopping curbs, using sidewalks, ignoring traffic rules etc.) work in different scenarios. The trick is being experienced enough to recognize how your should ride your bike, and when and where. Which leads me to the second problem...

2: the lack of cyclist education programs. Some adults, such as those you came across when driving, lack the experience and skill necessary to ride in traffic, and this is seen as ok. It isn't, and when both motorists and cyclists not entirely sure what to do, this causes a great deal of confusion and even accidents.

We simply do not have a system of accommodating and segregating all modes, and until there is, there will be tension between motorists and cyclists.

Problem 1: bicycles are neither vehicles nor pedestrians.

Bicycles are vehicles for the most part. The only time they can be considered pedestrian is when the cyclist walks with the bike across the street at a pedestrian crossing. If they ride the bike, they are not a pedestrian. The line between pedestrian and jaywalking is a thin one.

A lot of what is law for bicycles is laid out in the Traffic Safety Act. The problem is many bicyclists ignore the law and make up their own rules as they go along and cry about it later when they get smoked by a semi, car, or a train later on while doing something illegal on their bike.

When a bicycle is taking up an entire lane on whatever street it is in this city, it is required to follow traffic laws such as signaling, stopping at red lights and stop signs, yielding, etc. A lane is something like 12 to 13 feet wide. A full sized bus requires most of that space to be able to fit into a lane. In many places such as 6 Ave or 5 Ave, buses are required to take up parts of more than 1 lane to do a proper lane change. If the bicycle is in the right hand portion of the lane, cars can pass them within the same lane providing there is enough space and no contact is made between the two. With buses, you have to go over the next lane. The most annoying thing is when bicycles ride in the curb lane (where buses are forced to stay because all of our stops are located there). Who in their right mind would continue to follow a vehicle that does not obey traffic laws, never gets over 20 km/h and never signals?

When they press a crosswalk button, cars are supposed to stop for pedestrians at such crossings. Bicycles are supposed to be walked across with the cyclist not riding the bike. If they are riding the bike, then they are no longer a pedestrian and cars and other vehicles are not required to stop for them.

Bicycles are not allowed on sidewalks. They are allowed on pathways, but pedestrians have right of way there.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the CTrain will not be operating between University and Dalhousie Stations this coming Saturday and Sunday. Shuttle Service will be provided by the route 557 between Banff Trail and Dalhousie Stations. I doubt there is any stop set up for the 557 at Univeristy Station and as well, route 20 is currently detoured and does not run on University BLVD due to contruction.

• 4 months later...

A 3 car SD train broke down last night in the CP tunnel shortly after the hockey game, I was working in the 202 line last night when it happened. From what I heard people were stranded for quite a while, and people had to be unloaded in the tunnel from the broken car (car 2259) to the other cars, people were then unloaded at C track at Stampede station. I'll try to find out more about the incident.....

• 2 weeks later...

Inbound track of CP tunnel was shut down today until 15:30hrs. Trains were crossing over at Vic Park inbound then crossed back at City Hall Westbound, Also the parkade at 3rd Street East is being demolished just feet away from the westbound track...however that part of the track was still open..

A SD consist on Key 51 broke down this morning and caused a 10 minute delay on the 202. Another train "dumped" (penalty stop) at signal 03A (3rd street east station) this morning, I heard the signal "Christmas treed" so it was not the operators fault. He had to pull the train back to the platform.

A SD consist on Key 51 broke down this morning and caused a 10 minute delay on the 202. Another train "dumped" (penalty stop) at signal 03A (3rd street east station) this morning, I heard the signal "Christmas treed" so it was not the operators fault. He had to pull the train back to the platform.

So the signal got attacked by defunct Christmas trees?

Seriously though, what does that mean lol?

So the signal got attacked by defunct Christmas trees?

Seriously though, what does that mean lol?

LOL! Nice! Ok... basically it means the signal was showing lights incorrectly and not one of the signals we know and were trained. If we see a signal that is not in the books, we MUST stop the train immediatlyand call control to advise them and wait for instructions form Control.

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like another terrible accident:

At about 7:10 P.M. Wednesday February 18th, 2009, a male and

female pedestrian were crossing 36 Street at Marlborough Dr.

N.E. on the north side of the intersection when the

C-Train arms were activated and the warning lights and bells were

sounding, warning of a C-Train. The 34 year old female was

struck by a southbound train and suffered serious life

threatening injuries and transported to Hospital by EMS. The

male companion was not injured nor struck by the train.

Police are investigating whether the victim may have had

stereo headphones on at the time of the incident and whether

alcohol is a factor regarding the pedestrian.

Her condition is listed as serious life-threatening at this

time.

No one on the C-Train was injured.

And the update:

As a result of a collision with a female pedestrian and a C

-Train at 36 Street and Marlborough Dr. N.E. on Wednesday

February 18th 2009 at 7:10 P.M., the female victim has died

of her injuries. She is believed to be approximately 34 years

of age. Her identity will be released by the Medical

Examiners office at a later time.

Thats too bad this can happen, people should really be more attentive to there surroundings.

Took a look at the SD160 that was involved in the crash on 7th ave yesterday evening, the shear pins on the coupler broke and pushed the coupler under the cab and there is some minor body damage on the train (scratches and stuff) I believe the car was 2220 I'll have to confirm that later...

Took a look at the SD160 that was involved in the crash on 7th ave yesterday evening, the shear pins on the coupler broke and pushed the coupler under the cab and there is some minor body damage on the train (scratches and stuff) I believe the car was 2220 I'll have to confirm that later...

Yes i saw that on the news, both cars had adveritzement wraps on them

A minor train derailment on the weekend at Anderson north interlocking, train was re-railed in no time but there is a slow order through the interlock outbound at 40km/hr due to possible damage to the switches. Trains coming online Sunday morning were forced to go south then short turn at the motormans platform then head north.

There is also a slow order on the outbound track both directions (20km/hr) at the Dalhousie interlocks, as well as the Haysbro interlock outbound (40 km/hr) due to a dip in the track. These slow orders have been in affect for about a month or so...

A minor train derailment on the weekend at Anderson north interlocking, train was re-railed in no time but there is a slow order through the interlock outbound at 40km/hr due to possible damage to the switches. Trains coming online Sunday morning were forced to go south then short turn at the motormans platform then head north.

In less than a year, there's been at least 2 other similar derailments at Anderson North interlocking. Perhaps `Service 30` should pay more attention to those switches. They should know about all rail traffic in the area and have the switches set before the trains get there.

In less than a year, there's been at least 2 other similar derailments at Anderson North interlocking. Perhaps `Service 30` should pay more attention to those switches. They should know about all rail traffic in the area and have the switches set before the trains get there.

I could be wrong, but majority of the derailments that you're thinking of are in Anderson YARD, not the north interlocking as was the recent one...

Hopefully those service personnel are more careful at OBMF, they're all non-trailable hand throws there, unlike Anderson, where I'm pretty sure they run those spring & return and slap & stay switches all the time...

Edit: The latest derailment was once again in Anderson YARD.....the slow order is not related.

I came off of track 2 at AG a week ago and all the switches were set for me except the hand throw. I noticed the switch was closed and good thing I played with train sets when I was young (and now). I got out and threw it myself since service 30 was busy reading a newspaper. There was a train movement 5 minutes before I was scheduled to leave AG. Funny thing I heard nothing on the radio about the movement. The train that entered the yard at Anderson north did the rolling offline on ch 1, the controller should of made him do it on channel 3 so every one in the garage (and me!) could of heard it. As we all know as operators we are responsible for our own train and everything we do with it, especially reading switches in the yard driving trains is a HUGE responsibility and I love it!

My favorite derailment in the yard last year was when a operator ran the slap and stay switch and then another operator moved it back into the garage (track 1) and the last half went to track 2 and the train hit the wall and cause huge damage to the train :D

I could be wrong, but majority of the derailments that you're thinking of are in Anderson YARD, not the north interlocking as was the recent one...

It is true that most of those derailments are in the yard. I remember one from 6-7 months ago when an operator ran the non-trailable hand-thrown switch on the north side of the yard. This made A111C unuseable for the rest of the day. All the late PM onlines had to come online at A114C, short turn at the Motorman's platform and then head North.

About 5-6 years ago there was a derailment at Anderson Bus Crossing. A train was doing his offline at A117A. An outbound train left Anderson station heading towards the level crossing at full speed, but had a stop signal (red over red). That was the worst one that I had seen or head of. Just imagine for a second that you're doing your offline and all of a sudden you see an oncoming outbound train jumping the tracks and coming close to you. Keep in mind this was an IN SERVICE train that derailed too. Amazingly, that operator is still employed with Calgary Transit and continues to drive bus. The union got involved in the aftermath saved that guy's job. They asked to move the double tower signal back closer to the station. Managment ignored that request.

My favorite derailment in the yard last year was when a operator ran the slap and stay switch and then another operator moved it back into the garage (track 1) and the last half went to track 2 and the train hit the wall and cause huge damage to the train :huh:

Door 2 still has visible damage on it. The concrete on the outside around tracks 1 and 2 on which the bogies of one of the derailed cars ran on, still has the marks on it. As far as I know car 218 is still out of commision due to damage from that particular derailment.