Winnipeg Transit and area

What are "cater zone buses"?

each part of the city is assigned a zone for transit employees to get home so zone 1 west end/ st james, zone 2 fort rouge/ charleswood, zone 3 fort gary/ st norbert, zone 4 southeast, zone 5 Transcona, zone 6 northwest and zone 7 northeast. and cater is catch a transit employee ride kinda like a dart for transit drivers to get home. on week day zone 6 gets the drivers from north and brings them to balm to catch there bus home same with zone 4 bringing them from FRG to balm.
  • 2 weeks later...

With the UofM (and UofW) offering U-Passes this fall, expect to see a lot more D60LF during peak times.

Some of the buses are packed without the U-Pass system. It will interesting to see what the service levels are like come this fall. Winnipeg Transit did purchase extra buses for the increase ridership this fall.

So thinking about the moratorium on new buses, if that continues for a couple years and WT needs to obtain more used units, would they consider any LFS or VII? I realize from a parts/service perspective it would be best to try to keep an all NFI fleet. However I wonder if say 20 VII that were in good shape were available for a good price, would they consider non-NFI units?

Likely it will never happen, but just curious what others thoughts are.

With the UofM (and UofW) offering U-Passes this fall, expect to see a lot more D60LF during peak times.

Some of the buses are packed without the U-Pass system. It will interesting to see what the service levels are like come this fall. Winnipeg Transit did purchase extra buses for the increase ridership this fall.

I'm very interested in what routes will get more service. I'm dependent on the Osborne Village to UofM options (60 and 185) and since the Southwest Transitway opened the 60 in particular has been very reduced. With the U-Pass boosting ridership, will Transit add some frequency back to the 60?

At certain times of the day UofM buses are already jam-packed. More buses, and artics, will be needed.

So thinking about the moratorium on new buses, if that continues for a couple years and WT needs to obtain more used units, would they consider any LFS or VII? I realize from a parts/service perspective it would be best to try to keep an all NFI fleet. However I wonder if say 20 VII that were in good shape were available for a good price, would they consider non-NFI units?

Likely it will never happen, but just curious what others thoughts are.

I would think the chances of used Novabus LFS's or Orion VII's ever being bought by Winnipeg Transit are close to nil. There's always lots of chatter at tender time about whether or not Novabus will underbid NewFlyer, but when they aren't bound by tender rules and the choice is solely Transit Tom's, I can't imagine them buying something other than what they already know.

Note that the moratorium is on new diesel buses. (I would argue that it's even more narrow than that... diesel buses with Cummins current pollution-control device). XE40's wouldn't fall into that category... Neither would (new) LFS's if Novabus would offer an optional Volvo engine.

Note that the moratorium is on new diesel buses. (I would argue that it's even more narrow than that... diesel buses with Cummins current pollution-control device). XE40's wouldn't fall into that category... Neither would (new) LFS's if Novabus would offer an optional Volvo engine.

Would they consider CNG?

Would they consider CNG?

Hard to say. I've never noticed Winnipeg Transit express interest in alternative fuel options such as CNG. The interest in battery-electric is new. Before the XE40 pilot project there was forty years of buying only diesel.

• 2 weeks later...

Fare* and good news for East St. Paul:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/2016/01/25/liberal-mp-wants-to-expand-winnipeg-transit-to-rm.html

Feedback from the doorstep during last fall’s election has one local Liberal Member of Parliament following up on a plan to extend Winnipeg Transit into East St. Paul.

MaryAnn Mihychuk said consultation is underway with members of the largely suburban community, located roughly a 20-minute drive outside the north east corner of the city, in regards to bringing transit services to the municipality.

“Over 70 per cent of those that we speak to are in support, and would like to see the extension of transit up in the community,” she said during a recent interview.

“Our intention is to meet with transit, which is going to be the next step. Is it possible? How would the deal look?”

Any extended service would likely come in the form of a park and ride program, according to Coun. Jeff Browaty, who says Mihychuk contacted him about the project.

Does anyone know anything about 1465 Chevrier (Hofer's Transport)? Was looking at the City of Winnipeg clerks system at the Variance committee agenda's, and on Google maps, there appears to be three buses on property. Wanted to ask before I go fanning and find out they're something else entirely...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Transit fleet expanded

Winnipeg Transit is also facing higher operating costs in 2016.

The city will sink $25.6 million more this year to keep up with fleet expansion and maintenance.

That money will add 52 new buses to the fleet; 35 of those will replace existing buses, while adding eight for the Transit UPass program.

The city said the UPass program is still on the road to launching in the fall.

part of budget 2016