BCT-3122-D800-10240

Winnipeg Transit and area

Hello Winnipeg! Just saw on the tube that you are at -30 C. And we think its cold here at around -15 degrees C. I hope everyone is staying warm inside. Is Transit running today?

Hello Winnipeg! Just saw on the tube that you are at -30 C. And we think its cold here at around -15 degrees C. I hope everyone is staying warm inside. Is Transit running today?

Traffic related delays are the only things affecting service.

Why don't school buses run in extreme cold? Is it just to avoid kids standing in the cold waiting?

Why don't school buses run in extreme cold? Is it just to avoid kids standing in the cold waiting?

If they're stored outside it can be due to diesel fuel gelling in the lines, at least around here. Otherwise yeah, too many kids are clueless when it comes to staying warm so it makes more sense to just cancel school.

From the Winnipeg Transit Website:

February Service Change

On Sunday February 2nd Winnipeg Transit will implement a service change. This change will see minor schedule adjustments to the route 99.

A minor change is being made to the route 49 route. The 49 has been running on a re-route for several months now and this revised route will be made permanent as of February 2nd.

Web schedules are available now.

I would really love to see extended Weeknight/Saturday hours on the 99 Osborne section... even if its til 11pm, I personally think it would be worth it.

No new routes or anything for awhile yet, I'm guessing? Or route extensions? Waverley West is starting to be big enough for 60-minute weekday service, in my opinion. Or even Route 28 with trips in both ways for rush hour...

Reminds me, never got to ask anybody. How feasible is a new Park n' Ride around roughly Inkster and Brookside/Route 90/Hwy 7? It could be used for commuters from the Maples and Stonewall. Extend Routes 28 and 31 to it, and rush hour service for those two routes would have more passengers, and take pressure off Notre Dame and Route 90. Plus with CentrePort Canada and new suburban developments just off of Commerce Road, with the developer complaining that he doesn't want transit service in his community... this would be a VERY suitable compromise!

I dropped in yesterday to Winnipeg Transit Customer Service (Osborne Street across from FRG) to pick up the updated timetables for Routes 99 (new schedule) and 49 (new map). They didn't have any. I think this is the first time in my memory that a change went in without Transit printing updated timetables beforehand. The counter clerk seemed a little exasperated by the absence, and she was unaware that the 49 had even changed.

I would really love to see extended Weeknight/Saturday hours on the 99 Osborne section... even if its til 11pm, I personally think it would be worth it.

Silly question, but who is going where on the 99 Misericordia via Osborne Village? It would be my observation that the 99 operator is one of the loneliest drivers in all of Winnipeg Transit. I think I would recommend cancelling the 99 completely (both branches), rerouting the 68 over the Midtown Bridge, and re-deploying the 99 platform hours to better 60 PEMBINA service.

Silly question,but who is going where on the 99 Misericordia via Osborne Village? It would be my observation that the 99 operator is one of the loneliest drivers in all of Winnipeg Transit. I think I would recommend cancelling the 99 completely (both branches), rerouting the 68 over the Midtown Bridge, and re-deploying the 99 platform hours to better 60 PEMBINA service.

Re-routing the 68 is actually a better idea! I just never really thought of that one... and with the RT/Grant routes duplicating service in Osborne, and lack of service down that street, the 68 moved across the bridge would be a really good idea! Where would its Downtown terminus be though... maybe the Eastern Exchange District area? To finally provide the growing community with service?

Found this in the CLKDMIS (city clerk) system tonight:

Agenda – Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works –

February 4, 2014

REPORTS

Item No. 2 Review of Transit Service in Amber Trails

(Old Kildonan Ward)

COMMUNITY COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATION:

On January 21, 2014, the Lord Selkirk-West Kildonan Community Committee recommended to

the Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works that the Winnipeg

Public Service review transit service in Amber Trails, including recommendations for transit

improvements, and report back to the Standing Policy Committee within 90 days.

Looking at the current Route 17 map (along with Google Maps on "Satellite" so I can get a look at density and local buildings), I'm thinking of only two-three things:

1) a Route 17 expansion further into Amber Trails

2) a rush-hour express service or

3) a new suburban feeder service

I have also noticed that Route 35 ends right before Amber Trails, at Leila and Ritchie (Stop #30941). They won't even need to create a new route if they could extend Route 35 into Amber Trails! Might need a re-name, but thats considerably cheaper than launching a seperate route, and it'll help to fill out the existing service.

What do you guys think about this? David?

Re-routing the 68 is actually a better idea! I just never really thought of that one... and with the RT/Grant routes duplicating service in Osborne, and lack of service down that street, the 68 moved across the bridge would be a really good idea! Where would its Downtown terminus be though... maybe the Eastern Exchange District area? To finally provide the growing community with service?

What the Transitway did was move a whole lot of service off of Osborne (60, 61) and Donald (62/70/37, 65, 66) streets and onto Main Street. Main Street (between Stradbrook and Graham) is now very over-served. Logically one should take something else off of Main Street to cover Donald. The 68 is the easy candidate. It could even take up the 99's downtown terminal at City Hall, or continue west on Portage to its current terminal at Maryland/Sherbrook.

I also think the 19 would be a possibility, but the transition from southbound Donald Street to eastbound Stradbrook is problematic. There is currently no left turn permitted from southbound Donald to eastbound Stradbrook. If transit can't have a bus-only left turn signal, there is a left-turn from southbound Donald to eastbound Lagopolis Way which feeds into an exit back onto northbound Donald, but Donald northbound is jammed with traffic in the AM rush so that left would be difficult. The other option would be southbound Donald to westbound River to southbound Scott to eastbound Stradbrook. Inbound is easier: northbound Norwood Bridge to westbound Stradbrook to northbound Harkness to westbound River to northbound Donald to northbound Smith to eastbound Graham to northbound Fort (continue on existing route).

The (residential) density of the Donald Street area too, vastly outranges the density of the Main Street area served by the RT system. It'd be a much better idea to bring back service across the bridge. And help to ease things too.

Spotted 673, 697 and another D40, ALL doing school charters in St. James. Pissed me off, because I want to try and get my last rides in before retirement on a route which would actually pick up regular passengers, without having to go Downtown to find one. :angry:

I guess nobodys amused by Rapid Transit anymore if they don't need their wraps... :P

It's my sense that the attempt to brand rt as a distinct service never really worked. I don't know if it was dispatch that spoiled it, or the way they schedule runs these days, or they just didn't have enough equipment to keep things separate but it was pretty leaky almost from day one, and has more-or-less collapsed since then, I've seen rt-wrapped buses on the 60 PEMBINA!

As I understand it, no further rt-wraps will be applied [Get your pictures while you can...].