BCT-3122-D800-10240

Winnipeg Transit and area

Winnipeg Transit will test battery-electric buses from New Flyer:

"The SDTC project involves the development and implementation of four rapid-charge battery-electric transit buses and a high capacity charging station. These buses are targeted to be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2013 and will be operated by Winnipeg Transit in revenue service over a four-year period. This project will examine the technology and key operational performance issues including: the charging system, battery capacity, component life and reliability and the assessment of both operational and life cycle cost savings."

http://www.newflyer....0_26_sdtc_award

+20 ex-OC Transpo D60LFs

+31 2013 D40LFRs

+ probably 30 2014 D40LFRs

+ this

I should probably enjoy the D40s while they last...

Otherwise, this will be very nice to see and ride! Xcelisors too!!! Just hope that they spare it the white-stripe livery and give it either pure-NFI blue or an Rapid Transit vinyl wrap...

Anyone know of Winnipeg Transit plans to give Ikea additional service when they open in a few weeks? Luckily, I managed to score a job there (woo), and just want to find out whatever I can!

Also will be looking for the transit stops and preparations for Winnipeg Transit on-site when I begin work Monday. :)

A kid got hit by a car across from where I graduated High School, this afternoon, 3:30pm. The bus detours went up Berry onto Ness for an unidentified Portage express route (all I could see was the orange). Traffic was backed up severely on WB Portage around 5pm. Looking at the drivers time-display electronic device (in the upper left side of the drivers cab), the bus appeared to be 20 minutes late, very rare for my home route - Route 26. Took 15 minutes to get from Portage/Berry to Silver/Berry. It was actually pretty bad...

419 - 66

386 - 22

698 - 24, packed

376 - unknown, Polo

486 - 26

908 - unknown

365 still running - rode yesterday, seems they replaced the seating! Noticed 340 and 360 had the older 2000s style of seating.

Thanks BusMedic - the new job will help me to pay off debts, and maybe make that Calgary New Look charter... :D

Anyone know of Winnipeg Transit plans to give Ikea additional service when they open in a few weeks? Luckily, I managed to score a job there (woo), and just want to find out whatever I can!

Also will be looking for the transit stops and preparations for Winnipeg Transit on-site when I begin work Monday. :)

The Winter Schedule changes are out, and there are no major changes this time.

The only service to IKEA is the 78 (Kenaston Leg), and their were no updates to the schedule.

The next schedule change is next April. However, sometimes they do a mid-winter change (mid January).

It is possible to a offer a shuttle service say from IKEA to Polo Park, until the next schedule change.

Right now there is no service after 7pm (Mon-Sat) and no service on Sunday.

The Winter Schedule changes are out, and there are no major changes this time.

The only service to IKEA is the 78 (Kenaston Leg), and their were no updates to the schedule.

The next schedule change is next April. However, sometimes they do a mid-winter change (mid January).

It is possible to a offer a shuttle service say from IKEA to Polo Park, until the next schedule change.

Right now there is no service after 7pm (Mon-Sat) and no service on Sunday.

https://maps.google....014503,0.042272

Travel time - Supposedly 23 minutes. Add stops and traffic... lets say it will be 30. 15 minute Ikea layover gives this leg of the 78, a 45 minute frequency! Also will free up the U of M via Kenaston 78 route, saving it a few minutes (especially if the Ikea 78 branch is extended to cover Lowson and the Tuxedo Industrial Park, to free up the Kenaston branch). If it was extended, the frequency would have to be either 2 buses (30 minutes) or just the one bus (60 minutes). Still, the service to Ikea would be remarkably better, and any via Kenaston buses will have faster travel times!

Late night service though... no idea when shifts end there yet, but a last bus using one of the NIS 84 or 86 D30LFs around 11pm or Midnight would suffice. Get the last 40-foot Route 78 buses back to FRG, and just use the shorter ones as the employee shuttle back to Polo Park late at night.

Run-time: 7am-12am weekdays (30 day, 60 after 9:00pm), Saturdays (60 mins before 11am and after 7pm, 30 in between), 9am to 9pm every 60 minutes Sundays.

300 employees at Ikea, lets say 200 are working on a Friday. Divide by 10 into a public transit usage group, thats 20. 20 x 2.45 = $49 from employees one-way (if using just spare change). Customers and people hungry for Swedish food and cheap Hot Dogs (along with anyone wanting to travel to and from Polo Park for transfers to the 18-65-66-67-95), can fill in the rest :P. The service would definitely pay a good portion of itself!

While attempting to find steel-toed boots for my new job, spotted 373 NB on St James, Route 24. Nice to see it still running :)

However, since it was black out by then (6pm), also noticed that alot of the D40s rollsigns arent lit up at all (especially front) along with really dim interior lighting. Skipping out on replacing lighting for the last 1-2 years of these buses, perhaps, to save money.

Talked to a driver on Route 95 about Ikea, he mentions that they should create a St. Vital Centre - Seasons of Tuxedo - Polo Park route. How feasible is that?

73 Mall Express a good name?

I am not the author of these ideas, but I'll offer them here to see if they generate any comment or discussion. They are kind of a package.

1. Reroute the 66 GRANT and 65 GRANT EXPRESS off the transitway back to their original routes via Osborne Junction and the Midtown Bridge into downtown.

2. Cancel all service on the 99 (both branches).

3. Cancel all service on the 160.

4. Use released units from the 99 and 160 cancellations to improve frequencies on route 60 PEMBINA, and frequency and service hours on route 161 UNIVERSITY SUPER EXPRESS.

I'll go on 2-4 this post!

2) Turn the 99 Miseracordia into a Downtown Spirit bus route, that runs 24 hours (every 40 minutes late-night). Ridership will increase significantly! As for Windermere, cancel it.

3) Re-route the 60 to the Windermere Loop, and let the 160 have 24 hour service (let the 170 end after 1:30am, but leave one bus from the 160 to do a 60-minute RT frequency via the Windermere Loop 10pm-6am. 10pm-2am, 30 minute frequency). Then use extra buses for the 170 and 47!

4) The 99 (future Downtown Spirit 4) would increase ridership and reduce gridlock around Osborne/Downtown, and the 170 can take over the rest of Pembina after 10pm with the extra buses. 161 needs to be made more aware to University students, especially since I see 4-5 R78 Cambridge buses arrive at Polo around 7am with nobody getting on, then the R78 Kenaston show up and a dozen people hop aboard, me included.

Long post short: increase inner-city transit use (like we had pre-1990s), regain ridership, promote transit, cutback on suburban service for the south late at night, start up basic 24-hour routes and promote RT through the 161, using cut buses.

Speaking of the 78, Kenaston needs HUGE improvement...

New Route to the Airport (could replace service on 15-Sargent and 20-Academy)

Route will travel along Portage Ave to Empress / St James to Wellington Ave

This prevents vistors from seeing the sights along Sargent

More Express Service throughout the day (Mon-Sat, 6am - 7pm) along keys routes (i.e Henderson, St Marys, Regent, Grant, etc.)

This is similar service such as 162 - Richmond Express and 21 - Portage Express

University of Manitoba students have voted strongly in favour of a UPass. The University of Winnipeg students had previously also voted in favour.

Metro 19 November 2012.

The campaigning at the U of M proposed that all undergraduate students would have an additional charge included in their fees each term for a bus pass. The fee is subject to negotiations with Winnipeg Transit but the Student Union proposes approximately $85 per (four month) term. Only students who live outside the Winnipeg Transit service area, or who are unable to use Transit because of a disability, would be able to apply for an exemption from the fee (and exclusion from the pass). The Student Union also promised that additional Transit service would be part of the negotiations.

In the lead-up to the vote the Winnipeg Sun reported:

Winnipeg Transit estimates it would cost an additional $1.3 million -- for more bus routes, infrastructure and extended service -- if the U-Pass were implemented.

I voted yes for the UPass, as there was a very large campaign for it all over campus. I ride rt from U of M to Balmoral almost everyday to get to school so it'd be very beneficial. Plus with the plans to inplement the electronic fare system, I think it would be great. Not to mention the success of UPass in Edmonton and Vancouver. The Edmonton UPass seemed more useful because it can be used for all systems, not just ETS. Nonetheless, I think UPass is a great idea and many of my friends voted in favour for it as well.

As for the advertised 'more bus routes and extended service,' I was a little skeptical and told my friends not to believe too much. Eventually there would be better service but not right away.

I voted yes for the UPass, as there was a very large campaign for it all over campus. I ride rt from U of M to Balmoral almost everyday to get to school so it'd be very beneficial. Plus with the plans to inplement the electronic fare system, I think it would be great. Not to mention the success of UPass in Edmonton and Vancouver. The Edmonton UPass seemed more useful because it can be used for all systems, not just ETS. Nonetheless, I think UPass is a great idea and many of my friends voted in favour for it as well.

As for the advertised 'more bus routes and extended service,' I was a little skeptical and told my friends not to believe too much. Eventually there would be better service but not right away.

So help me god, they better put another few buses on Kenaston... I had to walk from Sterling Lyon to Tuxedo, to catch a bus home last night... made me mad.

So help me god, they better put another few buses on Kenaston... I had to walk from Sterling Lyon to Tuxedo, to catch a bus home last night... made me mad.

Winnipeg Free Press 21 Nov 2012:

A city spokeswoman said Winnipeg Transit may modify the No. 78 bus route, which makes existing stops just west of Kenaston and Lowson Crescent, right onto the IKEA site next spring.

That comment doesn't sound like additional service...

Yet, they have nothing but empty buses on the 183, 185, 39 and other routes (82). It's annoying how they give service to places that don't even need that much in the first place.

Well, maybe me and the other good 20 people (that I know) at Ikea that take the bus, can lodge a Winnipeg Transit complaint. I'll even accept hourly service til 11:30pm weekdays, just anything so that I dont have to walk along Kenaston up to Grant for the 66, or if that isnt fast enough, Tuxedo for the 79. Transit Management can't be that blind, that they can't see the potential of having Ikea and SOfT bus service. 500-600 employees, plus a fast food outlet (A&W), plus Ikea visitors? Can't it pay for itself that way? Plus it can't be that hard to find a D30LF for the evenings, can it?

Even an extra trip would help say 20:53 from U of M to Polo Park. That would catch anyone finishing around 9pm at IKEA. A low cost solution in the interim.

Of course I know little of the funding constraints on additional service.

Yes, this is a fact, found out from the manager myself.

Ikea (my work) and surrounding area's WILL get a bus loop in February, in time for the Spring transit change!

...anybody?

Alrighty then. *haybale passes by*

Spotted 419 on the 21 today, 696 with a picture, and Ikea might get its own bus route after all, from what I'm hearing from my co-workers and management!

While at my newfound job, I noticed a 200-series D40LF deadheading fast at Kenaston/Lowson around 10pm Monday night. Is this normal?

Riding a 400-series bus the other day (didnt get the fleet number), I noticed that the floorboard near the rear exit was cracked. How bad is that?

The 2am Route 11 end-of-service Crestview bus actually HAD people on it last night. Theres usually just one or two, it had nearly 7-10 sitting down on it last night! Too bad there wasn't any basic 24-hour service... that would've been nice.

And I use buspasses, along with everything being closed today, so I'll have to wait til tomorrow! Light Green or pure Red will do :D