Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

1 hour ago, Chris W said:

What will they be using on this On Request service? Will it be cutaways like in Edmonton or vans like in Niagara Region?

Probably D30LF's, just like regular DART's (this pretty much is DART, but modernized a little). Although recently for some reason, the DART's generally haven't been getting D30LF's.

3 hours ago, trebor204 said:

I was on the bus and couldn't  make out the signs

It had 'WR On Request' with a picture of a smart phone.

Maybe I'll try checking things out tomorrow.

Winnipeg Transit is piloting the new On Request service discussed in the Master Plan this year. I think they’re doing this on all the DART routes but I’m not sure. It’s been discussed at committee quite a few times over the past few months.

Essentially, the app will ask where you want to go and when, and will tell you when to be at the stop for an On Request bus to pick you up. The bus driver will have an iPad that calculates the route in real time with the requests made by the app. If someone in between makes a request while the bus is travelling, the iPad can update the route to pick up that passenger if possible. This is a big update from what Transit says drivers are currently doing, which is using paper maps.

What I’m not 100% on is where you can go with On Demand. If you’re going to a hub spot in the On Request zone, like a mall, then the bus will take you there. But if you’re travelling outside of the On Request zone, the bus will take you to a Transit Hub where you can connect with regular fixed-route service. I’m not sure how much this differs from DART but it definitely seems more user friendly, as well as more convenient for the bus drivers. I could see ridership going up on these routes if they play their cards right.

Here's what these signs look like.

WTRequest.thumb.jpg.4918d0657c09dfd57311df2679565e70.jpg

Basically it sounds like DART service will continue as normal, except instead of phoning-in and telling the driver where to go, you tell the app where to go. Then the drivers tablet will tell them where to go.

At the time of writing this post, the WT On-Request page does exist, but is essentially blank.

13 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

40-footers have been showing up on the DARTs quite a bit lately. Just the other day, I saw 365 on the 110.

huh. i guess its because of the heat

The details about the On-Request pilot project are finally available. As expected, it will operate in all three of the current DART zones. The app will be made available on Friday. Notably, the website says that “bookings are required before using the On-Request service to ensure there is enough room for everyone.” I wonder whether that means the 101 and 102 won’t observe their terminals anymore (the 110 doesn’t anyway). Full details can be found here.

1 hour ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I wonder whether that means the 101 and 102 won’t observe their terminals anymore (the 110 doesn’t anyway).

I would hope you can still transfer from a 16 to a 101 or 102 without reservation. The current cards for Fall 2021 for the 101 and 102 do say to meet the 16.

49 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

931 will have a promotional wrap for ORT too.

I thought I saw a wrapped D30LF at FRG while I was on the 16 today. That must've been it.

Some photos of the Bomber specials from yesterday.

P1100054_2.JPGvlcsnap-2021-08-05-20h10m33s342_2.pngvlcsnap-2021-08-05-20h12m09s225_2.png

vlcsnap-2021-08-05-20h13m59s893_2.png20210805_202345.jpgvlcsnap-2021-08-05-20h57m06s218_2.png
vlcsnap-2021-08-05-20h16m10s442_2.png 

From top-left, moving right:
- XBLUE
- X60
- X75
- XBLUE signed "BLUE SEEL STATION PARK & RIDE"
- XBLUE signed "X60 PEMBINA > STADIUM"
- Rear of XBLUE signed "BLUE SEEL PARK & RIDE"
- XBLUE signed "WINNIPEG TRANSIT > WORLD'S LARGEST > TRUCK CONVOY > FOR > SPECIAL OLYMPICS"

• Like 3

The Winnipeg Transit On-Request app is now available on iOS. It will not be fully functional until the service rolls out. Three things are noteworthy:

• No more terminals to connect with the 16. Everyone will need to call or use the app/website.
  • The app will only let you book immediate trips. (Not at a future time or date). This could be problematic for people that use 101 as their 2nd of 3 busses to get home, as you will have no idea when the bus will pick you up or drop you off until you book the trip. It is also in stark contrast to the current DART which asks that you “please call well in advance of your trip”
  • One plus side - Plaza station is now included in zone 101.

3 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

Everyone will need to call or use the app/website.

And those who do phone will need to call 311 rather than going directly to the driver. In any case, that change will make the DARTs harder to ride, if only marginally so, for anyone whose trip doesn’t originate in a DART area, even if it terminates in one.

19 hours ago, MMP15 said:

The Winnipeg Transit On-Request app is now available on iOS. It will not be fully functional until the service rolls out. Three things are noteworthy:

• No more terminals to connect with the 16. Everyone will need to call or use the app/website.
  • The app will only let you book immediate trips. (Not at a future time or date). This could be problematic for people that use 101 as their 2nd of 3 busses to get home, as you will have no idea when the bus will pick you up or drop you off until you book the trip. It is also in stark contrast to the current DART which asks that you “please call well in advance of your trip”
  • One plus side - Plaza station is now included in zone 101.

Same is also true of the Google Play side too (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=winnipeg.canada - rather basic package name there, Via Transportation). ORT 110 grows a bit in size to the east, but at the cost of ditching The Forks access. ORT 102 also has a Plaza Station style "island" of sorts for Paterson/Lagimodiere, but at the cost of completely ditching Royalwood (which was in a weird place of being pickups only but not dropoffs under DART). Not that I care anymore myself since July, but someone else might.

Screenshot_20210807-131756.pngScreenshot_20210807-131729.pngScreenshot_20210807-131947.pngScreenshot_20210807-131700.pngScreenshot_20210807-132656.png

Edited by ConnorsCompShow
app link

4 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

Winnipeg Transit 654 on today's 100-90.
IMG_20210810_160914_247.jpg20210810_162843.jpg

Reminds me of when the D40HF's were assigned to 162 and perhaps 160 occasionally back in 2014/2015 when I was attending school in the south end of the city. Due to the fact that the highfloors only had rollsigns, the 162 was displayed as the 62 Richmond Express Downtown! Man I miss those buses.

42 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

Reminds me of when the D40HF's were assigned to 162 and perhaps 160 occasionally back in 2014/2015 when I was attending school in the south end of the city. Due to the fact that the highfloors only had rollsigns, the 162 was displayed as the 62 Richmond Express Downtown! Man I miss those buses.

My friend had a D40HF when he did a 162 in the morning signed up just 62 Richmond Express 

1 hour ago, Viafreak said:

The high-floor D40's are probably my favourite New Flyer buses of all time. I've wanted to check out the MTHA's D40 for years, but a lot of unbelievable bad luck has prevented that. Would love to see a D40 on the BLUE, but obviously that's not gonna happen. When buses where on the 160, I assume they would've used the 60 Pembina Express sign?