Jump to content

Winnipeg Transit and area


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dare you to use that as an academic source for any sort of research or historical documentation. Seriously. I don't mean to be grumpy but can we please move past the hearsay and start posting usef

I don't know anything about 918 in particular but I have heard that Transit is considering retiring some of the D30LF's and cannibalizing them to keep the remaining units on the road.   911-925 (15

It's in the news that Executive Policy Committee of City Council has amended the 2018 City budget to eliminate the proposed transit service cuts.  The fare increase is still in the budget but the redu

Posted Images

16 hours ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

New ad wrap.. 348 on 47 a few days ago on Christmas Eve. This wasn't one of the ones that had wraps before there were rumors of a ban on full wraps some months back.

IMG_20201224_140752.jpg

A gambling addiction ad seems so fitting for Winni in the current state of things. Well, at least you folks probably don't get the condom and contraceptive graphic covered pink buses we get here with Planned Parenthood wraps.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MVTArider said:

A gambling addiction ad seems so fitting for Winni in the current state of things. Well, at least you folks probably don't get the condom and contraceptive graphic covered pink buses we get here with Planned Parenthood wraps.

Interesting that the GameSense wrap was on the 47 which goes by Club Regent (which is still closed)  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MVTArider said:

A gambling addiction ad seems so fitting for Winni in the current state of things. Well, at least you folks probably don't get the condom and contraceptive graphic covered pink buses we get here with Planned Parenthood wraps.

Why don't we just bulldoze the rest of Main St. and replace it all with casinos and strip clubs, to go along with the beer stores, pawn shops and everything else... I agree, Winnipegs looking worse by the year & these images and stories coming out of my birthplace aren't doing any favors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

As does MBLL's DrinkSense one, as well as the one Reliance Superior has (had?) which is funny since it's all images of the exact same guy over and over again down the whole length.

All the ad-wrapped buses’ interior ads are/were for whoever the ad-wrap is/was for (such as GoRVing on 184, Balcaen and Sons on 189 and Kiss 102.3 on 943). There are two LFRs (a 600-series and an 800-series - I don’t remember the exact numbers) that have or had the Reliance Superior wraps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 4:53 PM, Mark Walton said:

Are there any plans for a Peggo phone app analogous to Calgary Transit's myFare?

Nope. No app. No all door boarding, no fare pre-payment at stations on the transitway, and busses are not in constant communication with the servers so (a) debit/credit isn't an option and (b) online reloads take 48 hours. Peggo really is a "made in Manitoba" solution.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MMP15 said:

Nope. No app. No all door boarding, no fare pre-payment at stations on the transitway, and busses are not in constant communication with the servers so (a) debit/credit isn't an option and (b) online reloads take 48 hours. Peggo really is a "made in Manitoba" solution.

Maybe next up, we're gonna bring in "brand new" 30-year old MCI Classics as BRT buses, and bring back the fareboxes which don't even have spare parts or keys for it... 😂😂

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

Changes to Route 10 to accommodate an active transportation right-of-way along Westminster are on the cards. http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/ViewPdf.asp?SectionId=587781&isMobile=yes

That document also mentioned the idea of extending the 71 to Aubrey Loop, which I don't think is a bad idea. But it's no longer being considered though. The idea of having the Wolseley bus travel down Wolseley instead of Westminster isn't too bad, but I do not agree with removing it from Balmoral, unless the construction makes it completely impassable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

The idea of having the Wolseley bus travel down Wolseley instead of Westminster isn't too bad

Somewhat unfortunate, though, since Westminster Ave is the commercial main street in that area and is geographically more central than Wolseley Ave.

But the loss of service from Westminster and Balmoral does align with the master plan, so it would be gone eventually anyway.  The only transit service in Wolseley under the TMP will be an extension of the Arlington bus down to Wolseley Ave and then across Wolseley Ave to terminate at Misericordia.  With service every 15-30 minutes, I can't imagine this route being very attractive. It would usually be faster to just walk to Portage or Sherbrook to catch a more frequent bus that actually goes somewhere useful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, car4041 said:

Somewhat unfortunate, though, since Westminster Ave is the commercial main street in that area and is geographically more central than Wolseley Ave.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what affect (if any) losing the bus will have on the numerous small businesses along Westminster.

2 hours ago, car4041 said:

But the loss of service from Westminster and Balmoral does align with the master plan, so it would be gone eventually anyway.  The only transit service in Wolseley under the TMP will be an extension of the Arlington bus down to Wolseley Ave and then across Wolseley Ave to terminate at Misericordia.  With service every 15-30 minutes, I can't imagine this route being very attractive. It would usually be faster to just walk to Portage or Sherbrook to catch a more frequent bus that actually goes somewhere useful.

The original draft of the TMP had the Arlington bus terminate at Aubrey Loop, but as you mentioned, it was changed to the Misericordia. The stops on Westminster and Balmoral were very well used pre-pandemic, so who knows how losing that service would affect ridership. Would those people just take the 11 or 17 instead?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some observations from today's IRPW:

Sharma grilled Greg pretty good at IRPW about the state of Transit Plus after he said that in their opinion, TP/HT drivers are being treated with dignity and respect by their employers (despite hearing from a few people, including a TP/HT driver who was apparently suspended). Chambers had asked whether or not there was a breakdown somewhere between scheduling, dispatch, and services tendered, in particular that the services tendered part may not be always reflecting back to the scheduling/dispatching part of the equation. From Transit's POV, as long as the rubber is on the road for a certain amount of hours, within those hours it's on the vendors to hand out trip requests to their drivers and to insert breaks. They also cast doubt on it being a problem of a lack of resources in response to Chambers' follow-up.

The route 10 changes got approved. They needed more time to hear back from the advisory committee about an emergency distress signals proposal that first appeared a few months back in one of the community committees.

Item 4 was their catch-all; they started with electric buses, the aim is to try both those as well as fuel-cell ones and the dialogue was pushed by Bjorn more towards the generic "ZEB"/"ZEV" concept as opposed to battery-electric specifically. The funding plans for ZEVs will be thrown in with the WTMP in March. Should funding be approved, and should other government levels cooperate, the earliest the new set of rubber could hit the road for the new trial is 2022. 🙄

This spring, "on-request transit" becomes a thing for a 12-month pilot, and the biggest change will be how rides are booked: through an application or through a web browser, "or by talking to someone at 311 directly" (in essence, RIP the current DART lines, funneling everyone through 311/online is the idea here it seems). Their main worry with the current DART system is that if for some reason it got really popular in a hurry, drivers would be bogged down with taking calls and it would degrade service. They also believe that the current lack of an online or an ARM app is the main reason why people may not know the concept of DART is a thing (which I could absolutely see if you don't already live in a DART area and don't ever come across one of those signs).

They plan to mount a tablet in the driver's area to view incoming requests that come in from the new system. All 3 of the current DARTs will be converted over to start off. The app will be bilingual, service hours remain unchanged, no new 30ft purchases to go along with it. They want to have a minimum 5 minute buffer for requests to let requesters get their affairs in order and walk to what they call a "virtual stop", and users would get given a 2 minute warning notification when a bus is almost there. Navigo "bookings" won't be integrated into the pilot but it's something that's being explored.

Greg added on to Craig's bit about ORT and brought up they're going to review the practicality and possibility of using different types of vehicles totally, such as a community shuttle/TP/HT style bus which would alleviate noise worries. Craig also said that in theory, they could even flag certain users with mobility impairments that would cap the amount of walking to their "virtual stop" to something like 15m instead of the usual 200m/150m/whatever it is.

One other thing in there, there were some Sage Creek-specific suggestions from the residents' association for tweaks to improve service in the area, and it was ingested into the WTMP process, so that'll show up in the final WTMP draft in March.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

This spring, "on-request transit" becomes a thing for a 12-month pilot, and the biggest change will be how rides are booked: through an application or through a web browser, "or by talking to someone at 311 directly" (in essence, RIP the current DART lines, funneling everyone through 311/online is the idea here it seems). Their main worry with the current DART system is that if for some reason it got really popular in a hurry, drivers would be bogged down with taking calls and it would degrade service. They also believe that the current lack of an online or an ARM app is the main reason why people may not know the concept of DART is a thing (which I could absolutely see if you don't already live in a DART area and don't ever come across one of those signs).

One other thing in there, there were some Sage Creek-specific suggestions from the residents' association for tweaks to improve service in the area, and it was ingested into the WTMP process, so that'll show up in the final WTMP draft in March.

It's about time Winnipeg Transit finally explores the idea of booking DART trips online. While I don't live in a DART area, I would use the app to book trips for riding around. Something I've wondered is why the 101 isn't advertised at all at Plaza Station, or SB Pembina @ Plaza. Keep in mind, you can board the 101 at Pembina & Plaza, without needing to phone in. The website doesn't even list the 101 as observing that stop, even though it does.

Sage Creek should get improved service, sooner rather than later. At the very least they could run the 50 all day on weekdays, or maybe create a new all-day Sage Creek feeder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

It's about time Winnipeg Transit finally explores the idea of booking DART trips online. While I don't live in a DART area, I would use the app to book trips for riding around. Something I've wondered is why the 101 isn't advertised at all at Plaza Station, or SB Pembina @ Plaza. Keep in mind, you can board the 101 at Pembina & Plaza, without needing to phone in. The website doesn't even list the 101 as observing that stop, even though it does.

Sage Creek should get improved service, sooner rather than later. At the very least they could run the 50 all day on weekdays, or maybe create a new all-day Sage Creek feeder.

A few years ago there gonna be a route 52 that covered royalwood. Sage creek, island lakes FB_IMG_1610695052466.thumb.jpg.a1c6562333820e0c3f270c2b4e868f17.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

It's about time Winnipeg Transit finally explores the idea of booking DART trips online. While I don't live in a DART area, I would use the app to book trips for riding around. Something I've wondered is why the 101 isn't advertised at all at Plaza Station, or SB Pembina @ Plaza. Keep in mind, you can board the 101 at Pembina & Plaza, without needing to phone in. The website doesn't even list the 101 as observing that stop, even though it does.

Sage Creek should get improved service, sooner rather than later. At the very least they could run the 50 all day on weekdays, or maybe create a new all-day Sage Creek feeder.

A big issue with DART currently is that it doesn't show up in Navigo or other route planning apps. I suspect that significantly contributes to why people don't know about DART and why it is severely under utilized. I can see how it could be problematic to program into Navigo as the times are not fixed, but at the very least it would be nice if Navigo prompted users that DART is a thing if their trip starts/ends in a DART service area during the DARTs service hours, just so they're aware. An example of this is travelling to St Amant from Windsor Park on a Sunday. Navigo will simply say to take the 75 and walk from Bishop. However, even if the programmers at the City don't have to time to incorporate this into Navigo entirely, it would be good (and very very simple to implement) if a automatic message was generated alerting users that St Amant is in the DART 101 service area (or route 101 ORT or whatever they'll call it). Another big limitation I've found with Navigo, especially after BLUE was implemented is that it only searches for trips with a maximum of 2 transfers, whereas now with the spine and feeder concept, some routes will require 3 transfers (feeder from origin   -> first spine to a major center (u of m, downtown, etc.) -> spine away from major centre-> feeder to destination).

Overall, the IRPW presentations were informative, but I was rather disappointed by all the councillors saying "this is an important issue and things need to change" (particularly to items 1 and 2), but still just receiving the reports as information and not actually changing anything (they do know they have the power to do that... right?). Allard in particular just came off as cocky. As the chair of the committee, he shouldn't be referring to delegation to make BE IT RESOLVEDs right on the spot, as that is the job of the committee and not the delegates (although if Coun. Lukes was there she would have been up to the challenge).

Finally, as one of the Wosley residents indicated, the City of Winnipeg's engagement mechanisms are flawed and biased. For example, the route network for the Transit Master Plan was altered in this phase, however the public engagement surveys only asked about the rapid transit network. Another thing is found disappointed especially with Coun. Chambers being on the committee is that the Sage Creek report basically got steamrolled into the final TMP, and which point it will be too cumbersome to edit it and basically whatever the public service puts into there is what's going to happen. That was a missed opportunity to try to ask transit what potential feasible solutions are to this problem and then bring that back to residents.

All in all, there's some exciting things going on with transit, and it's great to see/hear this, but the job of the committee itself seemed useless today, other than to generate reports and blindly approve them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

A few years ago there gonna be a route 52 that covered royalwood. Sage creek, island lakes FB_IMG_1610695052466.thumb.jpg.a1c6562333820e0c3f270c2b4e868f17.jpg

Was this route going to complete both loops on each trip? Even worse, through Sage Creek in each direction?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ygk said:

Was this route going to complete both loops on each trip? Even worse, through Sage Creek in each direction?

Yes, it would go through Sage Creek in both directions. Route 50 already does both loops, but comes from Downtown, and currently runs rush hour only. This is Route 50.
R50.thumb.png.b3323010216428add76730533225abad.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

Yes, it would go through Sage Creek in both directions. Route 50 already does both loops, but comes from Downtown, and currently runs rush hour only. This is Route 50.
R50.thumb.png.b3323010216428add76730533225abad.png

Does anyone else find it funny that right now sage creek has peak service (50) and night/Sunday service (Dart 102) but no midday or Saturday afternoon service?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MMP15 said:

Does anyone else find it funny that right now sage creek has peak service (50) and night/Sunday service (Dart 102) but no midday or Saturday afternoon service?

Yeah, Sage Creek is definitley very odd when it comes to service (and lack thereof).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...