BCT-3122-D800-10240

Winnipeg Transit and area

Looks like Bowman wants Winnipeggers to go back to using Transit for essential trips only. https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/essential-trips-only-mayor-urges-winnipeg-transit-users-to-stay-home-1.5198231

There’s a schedule change coming up in three weeks that we still don’t know anything about. I hope that with these latest developments, WT won’t go back to the enhanced Saturday schedule and the inadequate service that it provided.

12 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

It was bad enough they experimented with it once, it would be worse if they did it a second time, after it already failed. Also, they can't take our human right of freedom away.

A factor to why they took a long time to go back to regular from reduced last time is the lack of drivers due to large scale layoffs, if we were going back to reduced I’d expect them to be more aligned with the province’s measures since there’s already a plan in place for different scenarios, not like see as we go type of deal. 

Also with school winter breaks potentially being extended into January it’s likely that ridership will drop significantly for that period of time which is also a signal transit may need to go to reduced service for that period of time. Schools are a big part of ridership right now and they will need more buses then regular service alone even if some buses are running empty, for example one time there was around 50 students getting off school at Glenlawn collegiate and jammed up a regular service 14 to sardines, and then a few days later they sent a fill to mitigate the problem. 

29 minutes ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

Schools are a big part of ridership right now and they will need more buses then regular service alone even if some buses are running empty, for example one time there was around 50 students getting off school at Glenlawn collegiate and jammed up a regular service 14 to sardines, and then a few days later they sent a fill to mitigate the problem. 

It’s a similar story on the 24. The last few times I’ve been on that route (riding inbound over the last quarter of the 3 PM hour, on an essential trip), at École Ness, the bus has gone from near-empty to standing room only. Just at that one stop (20168 EB Ness at Muriel). Add on any stragglers from Collège Sturgeon Heights Collegiate and any industrial workers switching from the 83 and it’s sometimes sardines at Moray.

What's really BS is that the province told Canad Inns that they couldn't run that drive-thru Christmas light show at the Ex grounds yet they're totally fine with letting Transit run as-is. Pardon my French, but I have a very hard time believing those lying sacks of shit at the provincial government saying it's all a-okay to have people from totally different households in a 40 or 60 ft box when the reality on the ground reveals that Transit keeps getting hit and then listed on the exposures list of theirs damn near constantly now. As DJ Khaled would say, another one. Another one. Another one.

As it stands I've used my November pass a grand total of twice, once for lunch towards an A&W, and twice on the way back from it. If things keep going the way they are I'm not even gonna bother with a December pass.

On 11/22/2020 at 6:56 PM, ConnorsCompShow said:

What's really BS is that the province told Canad Inns that they couldn't run that drive-thru Christmas light show at the Ex grounds yet they're totally fine with letting Transit run as-is. Pardon my French, but I have a very hard time believing those lying sacks of shit at the provincial government saying it's all a-okay to have people from totally different households in a 40 or 60 ft box when the reality on the ground reveals that Transit keeps getting hit and then listed on the exposures list of theirs damn near constantly now. As DJ Khaled would say, another one. Another one. Another one.

As it stands I've used my November pass a grand total of twice, once for lunch towards an A&W, and twice on the way back from it. If things keep going the way they are I'm not even gonna bother with a December pass.

Well, you're right lol - Pallister IS a lying sack of shit. And quite the potstirring, ham-handed premier as well... the way he's going, theres going to be riots in the streets in a matter of no time. All of those people out of work, or on strike, no Xmas or anything either - did he honestly ever read up on the Winnipeg general strike? Or maybe Ceaucescu of 1989s Romania? He hasn't a clue what he's creating in Manitoba and its kind of scary. Read up on the General Strike or Ceaucescu when you have time, you'd be amazed and scared by the parallels of him and Pallister.

And agreed, CanadInns really dropped the ball on this one too. Hate to go so much off-topic, but Manitoba is getting worse by the year & empowerment of these idiots to the point of acheiving complete irrelevance and obsolescence of Manitoba in the 21st Century. Its saddening. And as transit enthusiasts, we've been able to see just from transit service cutbacks, inaction and lack of (proper)  investment alone, the consequences of decades of Winnipeg and Manitoba politicians completely wrecking things for their own thinly-veiled personal interests & business concerns. Its ridiculous. And I totally share your sympathy, my friend.

• Like 1

Just one person's example but my transit ridership between 2019 (pre-pandemic) and 2020 (during pandemic).  "CWTS" is "City of Winnipeg Transit System," Winnipeg Transit's formal name. I last bought a period pass (28-day) in March 2020, which I did not get value for.  Since then I've used the eCash.

2019 versus 2020:

2019 January       63 CWTS buses
2019 February      70 CWTS buses
2019 March          90 CWTS buses
2019 April              99 CWTS buses
2019 May               98 CWTS buses
2019 June              97 CWTS buses
2019 July             108 CWTS buses
2019 August        106 CWTS buses
2019 September 102 CWTS buses
2019 October        99 CWTS buses
2019 November  105 CWTS buses, 1 taxi
2019 December    79 CWTS buses

(2019 total: 1,116 buses + 1 taxi)

2020 January      70 CWTS buses
2020 February     86 CWTS buses
2020 March         52 CWTS buses
2020 April              7 CWTS buses
2020 May             25 CWTS buses
2020 June            25 CWTS buses, 1 taxi
2020 July              35 CWTS buses, 1 taxi
2020 August           9 CWTS buses, 2 taxis
2020 September  34 CWTS buses, 4 taxis
2020 October        29 CWTS buses, 2 taxis
2020 November   10 CWTS buses, 1 taxi

(2020 [11 months] total: 382 buses + 11 taxis)