Winnipeg Transit and area

22 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

The GTFS data provided by Winnipeg Transit can be used to create a digital record of service. Every regular route (except DART in most of them), every stop, every run/trip. GTFS data from Winnipeg Transit is archived by a couple of sites, and goes back as far as 2011.

What sites are these?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dare you to use that as an academic source for any sort of research or historical documentation. Seriously. I don't mean to be grumpy but can we please move past the hearsay and start posting usef

I don't know anything about 918 in particular but I have heard that Transit is considering retiring some of the D30LF's and cannibalizing them to keep the remaining units on the road.   911-925 (15

It's in the news that Executive Policy Committee of City Council has amended the 2018 City budget to eliminate the proposed transit service cuts.  The fare increase is still in the budget but the redu

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

The GTFS data provided by Winnipeg Transit can be used to create a digital record of service. Every regular route (except DART in most of them), every stop, every run/trip. GTFS data from Winnipeg Transit is archived by a couple of sites, and goes back as far as 2011.

I have a nearly complete pamphlet collection going back to the early 1980s, with selected pamphlets back into the 1970s. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the collection up-to-date post-pamphlets...

1 hour ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

What sites are these?

https://transitfeeds.com/p/winnipeg-transit/23

http://www.gtfs-data-exchange.com/agency/winnipeg-transit/

Keep in mind, this is basically raw data that is on there - it needs to be processed to get much use out of it. But here's an example of what can be done with the data when it is processed.

80Page.thumb.png.bdb4990765a9baeb36ae83da5aea8adf.pngBlueStop.thumb.png.03bffb488deaafe81a5cf47fbb62f767.png
(*In some of the older schedules, from around 2013 and earlier, WT did not use the actual run numbers in the data. As an example, instead of "81-3", you'd have something like "24266" instead. I processed my own run numbers, but they aren't entirely accurate to how they actually are. But they aren't any less accurate than how they were before. Everything newer than 2014 has the real run numbers. Also, some of the older schedules have missing destination names, but that can be restored, though it is annoying.)

• Like 1
16 hours ago, DavidW said:

I have a nearly complete pamphlet collection going back to the early 1980s, with selected pamphlets back into the 1970s. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the collection up-to-date post-pamphlets...

Is downloading PDF's from the Winnipeg Transit website an option? For Edmonton I typically download the entire set twice a year... takes up a lot less space than a box full of maps and long term it is much easier to share electronically.

1 hour ago, T6H-5307N said:

Is downloading PDF's from the Winnipeg Transit website an option? For Edmonton I typically download the entire set twice a year... takes up a lot less space than a box full of maps and long term it is much easier to share electronically.

Yes it is, but who knows how much longer it will be before Winnipeg Transit axes those too. They also don't really have any schedule information. The newer ones, that are part of the new RT network, sort of do, in the form of headways, but as if it's actually going to be updated every schedule change. Long story short, processed GTFS data, and even paper timetables, are still better for preservation, when available. If I was able to, I would totally put up a website of the processed Winnipeg Transit data I have, which is made up of HTML files.

45 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Here's an extremely rare spot: apparently all the Red emergency plan routes are programmed in, and it seems someone, or one of the two supe cars behind it, figured out how to use them. Cycles through the route destination, then "RED SERVICE".

IMG_20200821_173410.jpg

IMG_20200821_173413.jpg

Awhile back, I saw a BLUE bus's side sign change to "E SOUTHDALE", before switching back to "BLUE U. OF MANITOBA" on Southpark. Maybe the cuts will be so extreme, that we'll be stuck with Red Service, and they're preparing for it (I'm joking of course.). Either way, it is really neat to see.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

559 570 are retired 

What will happen to the remaining D30LFs with Downtown Spirit noses (943 and 944) after the Spirits are canceled, anyway? I’d assume they, too, will be retired, seeing as they’re older than the 500s and without a rebuild?

7 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

What will happen to the remaining D30LFs with Downtown Spirit noses (943 and 944) after the Spirits are canceled, anyway? I’d assume they, too, will be retired, seeing as they’re older than the 500s and without a rebuild?

They'll still be around. They just take it off of keep it on till they get rebuilt!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

Was looking at the schedule and the 11s, 79 and bunch of routes are all switched up it will take time but I think we will get used to it 

The service cut cancelling the 79 after 1030pm isn’t terrible, as the 66 now runs to uni city until 1am (since swt2).

7D0D2A35-7759-42FB-9287-6BE46BCBA186.thumb.png.0191f28506c92919ff1e661239c5ffb5.png

saw this on global when they were taking about upgrading the perimeter highway interesting I see talks about a rail yard for LRT on the outskirts of the city by the west side and possibly running a median lrt line on portage avenue, first I even heard of this being proposed for rapid transit in Wpg 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
10 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

7D0D2A35-7759-42FB-9287-6BE46BCBA186.thumb.png.0191f28506c92919ff1e661239c5ffb5.png

saw this on global when they were taking about upgrading the perimeter highway interesting I see talks about a rail yard for LRT on the outskirts of the city by the west side and possibly running a median lrt line on portage avenue, first I even heard of this being proposed for rapid transit in Wpg 

I saw that in the report too. I can't imagine how much that would cost in terms for construction on Portage.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

6597661C-D208-4675-8CEC-63B31EDB31FD.thumb.jpeg.0d1e9b4d0c9ae0185b03f5aa56295059.jpeg
masks are mandatory on Winnipeg transit and transit plus starting tmr 

Greg should've said Monday instead because that's way too short of an advance notice seemingly to line up with when Superstore does the same thing. I'm glad someone managed to get the city to get their heads out of the sand at least.

• Sad 1
57 minutes ago, cslusarc said:

What is wrong with the Province, the City & Winnipeg Transit.   Masks should've been required since March.

These were the same people that told everyone that this whole virus crap was just a "low risk" back in February and to not pay any mind to it.

If there's anything we've learned, it's that "low risk" is a synonym for "you should be worried but we don't really want you to be".

On 8/23/2020 at 5:51 PM, matt548 said:

Aww that sucks

Ummm, why would retiring these ugly (in their current white paint scheme) non-air conditioned buses "Suck"? Glad to see 'em go!

On 8/24/2020 at 1:11 AM, bus is coming 1965 said:

They'll still be around. They just take it off of keep it on till they get rebuilt!

I wish they'd renumber the Salter route. 38 is such a downer to me.

On 8/16/2020 at 12:54 AM, ConnorsCompShow said:

And that's another Balmoral terminal that's going to sit around completely unused, after the mobile homeless shelter (DT 3) is given the axe too.

Is that why Uni students don't tend to use Balmoral Stn.? Yet I see most Uni. students get off and on at Portage at Spence

2 hours ago, LilZebra said:

Is that why Uni students don't tend to use Balmoral Stn.? Yet I see most Uni. students get off and on at Portage at Spence

People would board the 47, 160 and 162 at Balmoral Station all the time. I’d imagine most of the people using 10545 WB Portage at Spence would be transferring to the Portage corridor routes.