Jump to content

Winnipeg Transit and area


BCT-3122-D800-10240
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

How do "work busses" work?

Work buses are buses that stay out very late in the evening (2am) or pull out very early (3am) to take drivers to and from the garage, sometimes they are fixed route sometimes they can go on any street, there’s a work bus for every single area in the city (ex. W201 is Assiniboia-St. Vital work bus), they used to be public as far as I know but not sure if that’s the case now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Those Spirit drivers are probably pulled for the neighborhood shuttles and 11 Assiniboine Park, and given that none of those are running this year, there's no real sense in pulling them off.

I’m pretty sure that the 11s that run from Assiniboine Park to the Forks replace the Shoppers’ Specials, which (if I recall correctly) also don’t run Canada Day according to the paper timetable, though those aren’t running on Sundays either with the reduced schedule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw an 18 this morning that wasn’t showing the “Social Distancing” P/R, only “18 CORYDON… ASSINIBOINE PARK.” I’m guessing that drivers has come to the realization that we all have by now, that being that social distancing on mainline routes is impossible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

Saw an 18 this morning that wasn’t showing the “Social Distancing” P/R, only “18 CORYDON… ASSINIBOINE PARK.” I’m guessing that drivers has come to the realization that we all have by now, that being that social distancing on mainline routes is impossible?

Probably just forgot to punch the P/R in. Some don't really care about putting P/R messages in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

Saw an 18 this morning that wasn’t showing the “Social Distancing” P/R, only “18 CORYDON… ASSINIBOINE PARK.” I’m guessing that drivers has come to the realization that we all have by now, that being that social distancing on mainline routes is impossible?

Lots if drivers don't use it anymore. Thank god. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am finding the buses I'm riding are too busy to maintain any semblance of social distancing. It's not clear to me what Winnipeg Transit is waiting for to restore service to (summer) weekday levels. If they're waiting for 100% recovery of ridership they're waiting waaay too long. It would be interesting to know how far ridership fell from normal, and where we are on the ridership recovery curve.

If social distancing translates to something like 50% of full loading, then 50% of pre-pandemic loading would suggest a full service schedule is needed. 

As for the public relations message alternating with route and destination text on the signs... I've lost my tolerance for the extra delay in finding out just what bus I'm looking at. It's a great feature that Winnipeg Transit can quickly add or subtract such messages but it is a nuisance for regular riders.

 

 

... It's very hypocritical of Winnipeg Transit to preach "Practice Social Distancing" ad nauseam while simultaneously actively preventing riders from practicing social distancing with inadequate capacity...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, DavidW said:

I am finding the buses I'm riding are too busy to maintain any semblance of social distancing. It's not clear to me what Winnipeg Transit is waiting for to restore service to (summer) weekday levels. If they're waiting for 100% recovery of ridership they're waiting waaay too long. It would be interesting to know how far ridership fell from normal, and where we are on the ridership recovery curve.

If social distancing translates to something like 50% of full loading, then 50% of pre-pandemic loading would suggest a full service schedule is needed. 

As for the public relations message alternating with route and destination text on the signs... I've lost my tolerance for the extra delay in finding out just what bus I'm looking at. It's a great feature that Winnipeg Transit can quickly add or subtract such messages but it is a nuisance for regular riders.

 

 

... It's very hypocritical of Winnipeg Transit to preach "Practice Social Distancing" ad nauseam while simultaneously actively preventing riders from practicing social distancing with inadequate capacity...

Today I saw 380 on the blue full almost to the front door and the driver didn’t even pass up or call for a standby bus 

From what I’ve been reading ATU is trying to get transit to bring back regular service but a person who works for the city’s emergency department said that ridership is still at the point it was when ridership fell from normal, I do want to know how they determined that as from what I’ve been seeing is not true at all 

Transit could’ve done a phased approach to bring service back to normal like certain routes that tend to get packed go back to regular schedule and the routes that doesn’t need full service back stays the way it is, also transit could’ve done a better job at finding ridership like actually surveying riders and get their opinion 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

 transit could’ve done a better job at finding ridership like actually surveying riders and get their opinion 

Isn't that what the Transit Master Plan is for?

And I have to agree with DavidW here. For anyone with low-vision issues, the social distancing PSAs on the electronic destination signs gives riders less time to read the route number and destination on the bus. Miss the sign and you'll miss the bus, with possibly a 30 min. or more wait for the next one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

I am finding the buses I'm riding are too busy to maintain any semblance of social distancing. It's not clear to me what Winnipeg Transit is waiting for to restore service to (summer) weekday levels. If they're waiting for 100% recovery of ridership they're waiting waaay too long. It would be interesting to know how far ridership fell from normal, and where we are on the ridership recovery curve.

Last I saw, they were still claiming that ridership is down 70%, though a quick look at WT’s Twitter feed shows that not to be the case, with ridership seeming as high as ever on routes such as 11, 18, 21 and 47 and complaints piling up as a result. I might have to start taking the bus again in the fall when classes resume, and I’ve already decided that I’ll walk the extra few minutes to Ness to take the 24 if ever I do need to take the bus downtown due to inadequate Portage service. When people tweet at them about the inadequate service, they reply the same way (“we’re monitoring ridership levels and will increase the number of buses in service as needed”), but if they’re monitoring ridership like they say they are, then why haven’t the aforementioned routes and others seen increases in service?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

I’m saying for right now like does everyone think it’s a good time to bring back regular service 

I think it’s an overdue move with social distancing becoming near-impossible and almost everything having been reopened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm worried there is a long lag between when ridership increases and when numbers are compiled and reported. It may be as bad as waiting to the end of the month before doing the statistical analysis.

This, combined with what is likely an absurd criteria for restoring service (probably with no consideration for social distancing), and Winnipeg Transit's laser focus on the balance sheet (completely ignoring any consideration of customer service) means it'll take a public revolt and a lot of screaming and yelling at them to get service restored...

That they're getting away with poor service (and layoffs) probably puts smiles on administrators' faces.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...