BCT-3122-D800-10240

Winnipeg Transit and area

Someone asked when DART began. I don't remember tht, but i know that Dial-a-Bus concept began in 197576 as there was a 1-year after report.

Winnipeg (Man.). 1976. Dial-a-Bus Demonstration Project: first year of operation. Winnipeg [Man.]: City of Winnipeg, Streets and Transportation Division.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/dial-a-bus-demonstration-project-first-year-of-operation/oclc/74811113&referer=brief_results

Thinking about the virus craziness and how other agencies have back door boarding these days, I could've sworn I heard somewhere that the vast majority of our buses with the exception of very new ones in the last two or three years lack the ability to have the operator manually prop open the back door. Am I remembering right and is that really true? It would explain why we haven't done so if true.

Even the ATU is campaigning for it and you'd think that if that was really the case then they'd know about it.

1 hour ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Thinking about the virus craziness and how other agencies have back door boarding these days, I could've sworn I heard somewhere that the vast majority of our buses with the exception of very new ones in the last two or three years lack the ability to have the operator manually prop open the back door. Am I remembering right and is that really true? It would explain why we haven't done so if true.

Even the ATU is campaigning for it and you'd think that if that was really the case then they'd know about it.

Back in the days of MCI Classics and D40s, someone apparently got caught between the doors after something happened with the McKay gate, and got dragged by a MOVING bus. In Edmonton, same thing happened, but that person didn't survive.

The back door mechanisms and locks on Winnipeg Transit were probably instituted and left that way, specifically because of that type of accident that occured. Granted its a few decades since it happened... but theres always that safety factor, of someone potentially geting caught in the back door, which is why Winnipeg Transit probably locked the back door access and prevented the bus from moving, until back doors cleared. 

That being said though... can't they just hand out N95's and enhance shields on the buses, to mitigate the issue?

38 minutes ago, Taylorover9001 said:

How would you pay, if you're not coming in the front?

Most other cities have foregone fare payment entirely. (Which poses issues of its own)

Does anyone know what the spring schedule change brings, other than the introduction of the BLUE line and 600s feeders replacing the 100s routes?

44 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

Most other cities have foregone fare payment entirely. (Which poses issues of its own)

Does anyone know what the spring schedule change brings, other than the introduction of the BLUE line and 600s feeders replacing the 100s routes?

I certainly wouldn't mind riding the first BLUE bus on April 12th for free. 😁

The 23 Broadway-William, 29 to Beaumont, 47 Transcona-Pembina, 60 via Chancellor Matheson, 65/66 via Donald/Smith, 78 via University, 91 all-day, among other things. 

13 hours ago, armorand said:

Back in the days of MCI Classics and D40s, someone apparently got caught between the doors after something happened with the McKay gate, and got dragged by a MOVING bus. In Edmonton, same thing happened, but that person didn't survive.

The back door mechanisms and locks on Winnipeg Transit were probably instituted and left that way, specifically because of that type of accident that occured. Granted its a few decades since it happened... but theres always that safety factor, of someone potentially geting caught in the back door, which is why Winnipeg Transit probably locked the back door access and prevented the bus from moving, until back doors cleared. 

That being said though... can't they just hand out N95's and enhance shields on the buses, to mitigate the issue?

If I recall the Winnipeg incident correctly that individual was carrying a bag or bags of groceries. Very hard to keep the rear door open when your hands are occupied by carrying something. That's what the front door is for.

10 hours ago, MMP15 said:

Probably the usual seasonal stuff. I haven’t checked everything, but they’re reducing the 36 and 75, as well as making changes to the 31 and all three East End express routes.

With COVID, I'm surprised that transit doesn't run a reduced schedule. Keep enough to allow social distancing, yet cut some busses that are unnecessary. I'm thinking run a Saturday schedule Monday-Friday, and keep running express busses in peak hours on top of that. This could be a big opportunity to save money here, which could be used for the fall schedule change to add a couple extra runs to the routes that need it most.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 1:18 AM, Taylorover9001 said:

The 23 Broadway-William, 29 to Beaumont, 47 Transcona-Pembina, 60 via Chancellor Matheson, 65/66 via Donald/Smith, 78 via University, 91 all-day, among other things. 

The 23 replaces Monday to Saturday 29 service to City Hall. The 65/66 are still using the Transitway between Osborne Station and Main Street but will use Donald/Smith which turns into Princess/King between Rupert and Broadway.

4 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

The 23 replaces Monday to Saturday 29 service to City Hall. The 65/66 are still using the Transitway between Osborne Station and Main Street but will use Donald/Smith which turns into Princess/King between Rupert and Broadway.

Yes, I know that.

3 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

But the 23 Broadway service on Saturday is once every hour and still no Sunday service. So if someone who lives in the Broadway-Assiniboine neighbourhood needed to go to HSC on a Saturday thet'd have to wait a full hour if they just missed their bus. No Sunday service and that person would have to walk or take 3 buses (66 Grant, 11 Portage, 29 Sherbrook) to get there.

Easier to have someone drive them.

15 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

But the 23 Broadway service on Saturday is once every hour and still no Sunday service. So if someone who lives in the Broadway-Assiniboine neighbourhood needed to go to HSC on a Saturday thet'd have to wait a full hour if they just missed their bus. No Sunday service and that person would have to walk or take 3 buses (66 Grant, 11 Portage, 29 Sherbrook) to get there.

The Broadway/Assiniboine area will still receive more effective Saturday service and any Sunday/Holiday service via the Spirits, with the 1 providing connections with the 33 at Vaughan and Graham and the 2 providing such connections at Portage and Garry, though those will be cut effective with the fall change.

3 hours ago, LilZebra said:

It would only take 2 buses, not 3. Take the 66 and transfer to the 33 at Graham, or the 19 at Portage, or the 12 at William.

🤦‍♂️ 

I wish Transit was allowed to have a bit more autonomy much like the Winnipeg Public Library. As it is, their online support is essentially a rebranded 311, and you get responses that totally miss the point like that one.

Screenshot_20200402-100013~2.png

5 hours ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

🤦‍♂️

I wish Transit was allowed to have a bit more autonomy much like the Winnipeg Public Library. As it is, their online support is essentially a rebranded 311, and you get responses that totally miss the point like that one.

Screenshot_20200402-100013~2.png

This is Winnipeg, not Vancouver, or San Jose, or Europe/Asia. "Distancing" is not needed here.

• Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Taylorover9001 said:

This is Winnipeg, not Vancouver, or San Jose, or Europe/Asia. "Distancing" is not needed here.

You are wrong. Put your transit fanning on hold and stay home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As much as it may seem like a little deal comparatively to people with a clean bill of health, the reality of the growing pile of bodies globally paints a much different picture: old people with or without clean bills of health, young people without clean bills of health, or maybe a random Joe that got really unlucky or didn't know they had contributing conditions. I hate it as much as the next person over but it is very much a sad necessity in these times. Let China's government foot the bill for the damage and major inconveniences to our budget and society at large afterwards.

It massively stinks that this is all happening when SWRT2/BLUE is about to launch, and it'd seem that the city is still intent on going full steam ahead with April 12th as planned. But you would think one of the insiders here would have spotted XD60s getting some BLUE promotional wraps by now. Kinda throws a wrench into the first-bus party too even though there's a fair bit of room on an XD60. There's supposed to be a vote on a declaration of a local state of emergency tomorrow at council, so maybe that might be the move that allows other significant moves to happen like delaying SWRT2's opening day or authorizing maintenance dollars to rewire back door switches to physically open on activation for rear-door boarding. Everything else so far has been a half-measure in all honesty.

15 minutes ago, A. Wong said:

You have to be pretty oblivious and selfish to call this a "fake disease".

Stay informed: https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/index.html

And please, stay home.

100% agree with you. 

Prior to this virus, I ALWAYS took the bus, whether it was a joyride, or to get groceries, go to work, see friends, etc. 

Now ever since this virus has happened, I have caught the bus maybe 3 times in the past month. Walking is much safer if you live close enough to everything which I do. 

Since March 14th I've ridden the bus exactly once, and it was an XD60 at 8pm which carried me and three other people. We were well spread out in the bus. I boarded, sat, and exited with my hands firmly in my pockets so I wouldn't touch my face, or any hand-holds.

In some other cities March monthly passes were extended to include April at no extra charge. I certainly didn't get value for the 28-day pass I bought March 2nd, and I won't be buying another period-pass for a while yet. Maybe I'll put some ecash on my peggo for emergencies.

Note that Windsor, Ontario, has suspended all transit service indefinitely. Their mayor said if he was telling people no to touch playground structures he also had to stop people from touching bus interiors... 

11 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

I'm not staying home because of a fake disease.

I agree with you. I firmly believe what President Trump says that this whole Wuhan Coronavirus "pandemic" is squarely due to China and US Democrats interfering in the 2020 US election to unseat Trump.

If you take reasonable precautiions such as handwashing,  taking Oil of Oregano first sign of scratchy throat, etc...

No need to literally shut down most of this planet Earth in order to stop or slow down Wuhan-originated virus.

It comes down to accusing China and US Demoratic Party of a Communist takeover. Is this the New World Order or the Bible's Revelations come true? I'm not 100% sure yet.

When I got the 1968 Hong Kong flu at age 2 1/2 in November 1968 my parents didn't take me to no Hospital. No, they looked after me at home. For one night I was really really sick. Diarrhea, etc... But I didn't die. I'm still here.

But yeah, no gov't is gonna tell me to "Stay in place". Apart from groceries, I just gotta get out. You can't tell LilZebra (my soul name means "Youthful individuality") what to do. If it comes down to getting shot and killed over it, then so be it. Rather leave this sorry world to the others to deal with.

At this point, after waiting 39 years for rapid transit to form here and be left with one half-assed Bus Rapi Transit line. At this point I don't give a s**t.

12 hours ago, DavidW said:

Since March 14th I've ridden the bus exactly once, and it was an XD60 at 8pm which carried me and three other people. We were well spread out in the bus. I boarded, sat, and exited with my hands firmly in my pockets so I wouldn't touch my face, or any hand-holds.

I haven’t ridden a bus once since the 13th. It’s unfortunate that all this is happening so close to the Phase 2 opening, but if I have to wait a few months or even a year to ride it, so be it. I’ve already passed on riding one of the newest buses on a route close to my house. Not riding it won’t kill me, but riding it and contracting the virus while out and about might.