Jump to content
BCT-3122-D800-10240

Winnipeg Transit and area

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, DavidW said:

I've been told the charging installation at the airport has been sold to Red River College... 

I'm really surprised. Winnipeg had so much promise for electric buses, especially since electricity is so cheap and clean there.

Yes, the technology is largely proven, although a bit complicated.

https://uspirg.org/feature/usp/electric-buses-america

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

914 is on the 90. 

I would love to see that especially during rush-hour. The 90's sister route - the 85 - still gets the occasional D30LF on Sunday. I sure hope that change isn't permanent as the 90 services at least 3 high schools and 2 elementary schools and that is not including the Transcona schools it serves during rush-hours. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

They sent out 944 to do a 48/180 run. Surprisingly it's working well so far but I'm not even out to Plessis yet.

That seems a little weird. Hopefully none appear on the 22 or 25 this afternoon!

2 hours ago, Viafreak said:

I would love to see that especially during rush-hour. The 90's sister route - the 85 - still gets the occasional D30LF on Sunday. I sure hope that change isn't permanent as the 90 services at least 3 high schools and 2 elementary schools and that is not including the Transcona schools it serves during rush-hours. 

I remember when I was in high school, the one 83 run that would get a D30LF was also the one that would handle all the students leaving at the end of the day. I haven’t seen small buses on that route on weekdays for a few changes now, but small buses and high schools are not a good match.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all of these artics, and they're still shoving 30 footers onto the major routes at the worst times... or worse yet, stacking artics on specific routes only. Maybe if they took artics to the routes that actually need them, there wouldn't be any passups anymore for WT?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

That seems a little weird. Hopefully none appear on the 22 or 25 this afternoon!

Watch, to make up for it there'll probably be a 60fter showing up tomorrow. If it happened to the 75 of all things on a 137/75 run, surely it could happen on Alex Taylor too! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, armorand said:

With all of these artics, and they're still shoving 30 footers onto the major routes at the worst times... or worse yet, stacking artics on specific routes only. Maybe if they took artics to the routes that actually need them, there wouldn't be any passups anymore for WT?

I’ll say this again the 21,22,24 and 25 don’t need artics u got all 4 that are run so close together That it makes no since to run an artic on these routes the reason blue line is getting artics is so u can run frequent service with lots of seats it makes since to run 60foot buses are the blue line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

I’ll say this again the 21,22,24 and 25 don’t need artics u got all 4 that are run so close together That it makes no since to run an artic on these routes the reason blue line is getting artics is so u can run frequent service with lots of seats it makes since to run 60foot buses are the blue line. 

I get that these four routes, as well as the 11 and 67, help each other out, but that only helps things between Polo and City Hall. A lot of the time I’m on the 21 (heading inbound at around 10:30), most of the seats are full by the time I get on (at Whytewold) and it’s carrying a crushload (sometimes right to the yellow line) by the time it hits Ferry. Most of those people get off at Polo, but still, if a bus is that busy running on a route with an 11-minute headway, wouldn’t deploying 60-footers be the answer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I get that these four routes, as well as the 11 and 67, help each other out, but that only helps things between Polo and City Hall. A lot of the time I’m on the 21 (heading inbound at around 10:30), most of the seats are full by the time I get on (at Whytewold) and it’s carrying a crushload (sometimes right to the yellow line) by the time it hits Ferry. Most of those people get off at Polo, but still, if a bus is that busy running on a route with an 11-minute headway, wouldn’t deploying 60-footers be the answer?

The 11 I would add artics but the 21,22,24,25 and 67 all help each other but the 11 at night could use a few 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

The 11 I would add artics but the 21,22,24,25 and 67 all help each other but the 11 at night could use a few 

Agreed. I boarded one at Polo last night, and there were about as many people who got on with me as there were people who got off. By the time we hit Overdale, it was still pretty full (I later saw that the one that was supposed to be 11 minutes or whatever in front of it was running late, which could explain why it was so busy.) Still, having 60-footers on the 11 at night could help, seeing as it’s the only route that goes that way at that time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

Agreed. I boarded one at Polo last night, and there were about as many people who got on with me as there were people who got off. By the time we hit Overdale, it was still pretty full (I later saw that the one that was supposed to be 11 minutes or whatever in front of it was running late, which could explain why it was so busy.) Still, having 60-footers on the 11 at night could help, seeing as it’s the only route that goes that way at that time.

I would extend the hours of the 21 longer to 21:00, which is when Polo shopping centre closes, rather than the current 18:30.

My question is: Where are all the passengers going? Work, the bars, visiting friends, grocery shopping, night school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LilZebra said:

I would extend the hours of the 21 longer to 21:00, which is when Polo shopping centre closes, rather than the current 18:30.

My question is: Where are all the passengers going? Work, the bars, visiting friends, grocery shopping, night school?

A lot of them looked younger, so I would assume they were leaving night classes at the U of W. That’s actually what I was doing, I boarded the 11 at Polo because I prefer to take the 20 up Academy to the mall and transfer in order to avoid the sketchy section of the 11. As well, I would imagine that a number of them were looking to transfer to the 24 or 79 at Polo, more likely the former. Would it be feasible to have the 24 run all the way downtown until 9:00 as well as extending the 21’s operating hours to that time?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

A lot of them looked younger, so I would assume they were leaving night classes at the U of W. That’s actually what I was doing, I boarded the 11 at Polo because I prefer to take the 20 up Academy to the mall and transfer in order to avoid the sketchy section of the 11. As well, I would imagine that a number of them were looking to transfer to the 24 or 79 at Polo, more likely the former. Would it be feasible to have the 24 run all the way downtown until 9:00 as well as extending the 21’s operating hours to that time?

They could add more buses on the 11 that runs from downtown to polo park only like how the 11 runs on sundays but I don’t know how that could work considering the 11 is already really frequent at weekday evenings 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

They could add more buses on the 11 that runs from downtown to polo park only like how the 11 runs on sundays but I don’t know how that could work considering the 11 is already really frequent at weekday evenings 

That would not help the fact that a lot of (maybe even most of) these passengers stay on past Polo Park. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was standing room only between Polo and Assiniboine Park on that one last night. Even then, there were few available seats between there and where I get off. So would increasing the frequency help the people who get off at or before Polo? Yes. Would it help the (many) people like me who go further? No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

That would not help the fact that a lot of (maybe even most of) these passengers stay on past Polo Park. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was standing room only between Polo and Assiniboine Park on that one last night. Even then, there were few available seats between there and where I get off. So would increasing the frequency help the people who get off at or before Polo? Yes. Would it help the (many) people like me who go further? No.

21 Grace Hospital all-day runs might help with that. It could also cut a few minutes off any Westwood branches as well, making service West of that a little bit faster.

1 hour ago, jhood135 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-region-transportation-plan-1.5455026

Soooo, they’re gonna be studying regional public transportation...

Steinbach, Headingley, Selkirk and St. Paul (west/east) obvious candidates. 

Next up? Stony (prison visitor ridership?), Stonewall, the Oaks, Niverville, Ste. Adolphe... 

Unless demand from the Interlake or Portage La Prairie is a factor, those with significant populations (Steinbach > Niverville > Winnipeg) or ridership potential of a P&R (Assiniboia Downs/Headingley along with East St. Paul) would probably be first on the list.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, armorand said:

21 Grace Hospital all-day runs might help with that. It could also cut a few minutes off any Westwood branches as well, making service West of that a little bit faster.

It might help with the issue of sky-high 21 ridership that I mentioned earlier, but we’re talking about evening service here. How would it make sense to have 21 Grace Hospitals help the 11? It would make no sense forcing the people who go past the Grace to take a slower bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

It might help with the issue of sky-high 21 ridership that I mentioned earlier, but we’re talking about evening service here. How would it make sense to have 21 Grace Hospitals help the 11? It would make no sense forcing the people who go past the Grace to take a slower bus.

Run the 21 every 20 minutes, from the Grace to Downtown until 9pm. 10-11pm on Jets/Bomber/concert days. Problem solved.

Just enough frequency & express, to reduce the crushloads on Portage & also provide higher incentive for St. James (one of THE highest riderships in the city, when you don't include the 82 and 83), to take WT & reduce traffic on the roads. Especially on the crucial ones like Portage & Ness.

Also, Ronald/Portage already exists as a 11/21/22/82/83/98 transfer. Would it really hurt that much, to transfer from 11 to 21 and vice versa, when people have been doing that with the 22 and other routes, for decades?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, armorand said:

Run the 21 every 20 minutes, from the Grace to Downtown until 9pm. 10-11pm on Jets/Bomber/concert days. Problem solved.

Just enough frequency & express, to reduce the crushloads on Portage & also provide higher incentive for St. James (one of THE highest riderships in the city, when you don't include the 82 and 83), to take WT & reduce traffic on the roads. Especially on the crucial ones like Portage & Ness.

Also, Ronald/Portage already exists as a 11/21/22/82/83/98 transfer. Would it really hurt that much, to transfer from 11 to 21 and vice versa, when people have been doing that with the 22 and other routes, for decades?

The 22/21 transfer makes more sense (i.e. if someone coming from west of the Grace needs to get off at, let’s say, Assiniboine Park, which the 22 does not observe). To me, what would make more sense is running the 21 and 24 until 9, 10, or even 11, then have the Portage West corridor served by the 11 for the last three hours or so of service. If ridership’s still crazy high along that section of Portage, maybe go to the rush-hour arrangement of Grace Hospitals and 22s until around 8, then have 21s run all the way out from then to 10/11 and 11s from then to the end of the night.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, armorand said:

Run the 21 every 20 minutes, from the Grace to Downtown until 9pm. 10-11pm on Jets/Bomber/concert days. Problem solved.

Hell would freeze over before we got context aware regular service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Hell would freeze over before we got context aware regular service.

Service to St. James is better than it is to some (particularly newer) areas of the city, but quite a bit worse than it is to others. Particularly at night when the 11 is the only route that comes out here. I understand the feeders not having express counterparts as is the case in the East and South Ends, seeing as ridership on the 83 and especially the 82 is non-existent at times, but the service that is provided at other times is inadequate. Even though Route 21 headways are reduced from 11 minutes to 7 after 2:00, that still isn’t enough. Every outbound 21 after noon is always packed. I wonder if there’s been any consideration to starting the 22 earlier in the afternoon. Why do Routes 22, 25 and 67 not start running for the afternoon until 3:30 when every other suburban express route (except the 137) starts at 3? If anything, the 22 in particular should start earlier than the rest.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The number of overlapping routes on Portage Avenue doesn't matter to whether or not it's an appropriate corridor for articulated buses. Transit would have to look at overloading across the whole service on the corridor, and make a determination whether or not additional capacity is appropriate.

The complexity of the service pattern on Portage, with locals, expresses, and super-expresses, and buses that branch off or terminate at various points from Polo Park to St. Charles makes studying overcapacity problems significantly more multi-variable. The complexity also hides problems.

Maybe they should just sweep it all away in favour of a frequent LRT on a traffic-free reservation. 😁

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DavidW said:

The number of overlapping routes on Portage Avenue doesn't matter to whether or not it's an appropriate corridor for articulated buses. Transit would have to look at overloading across the whole service on the corridor, and make a determination whether or not additional capacity is appropriate.

The complexity of the service pattern on Portage, with locals, expresses, and super-expresses, and buses that branch off or terminate at various points from Polo Park to St. Charles makes studying overcapacity problems significantly more multi-variable. The complexity also hides problems.

Maybe they should just sweep it all away in favour of a frequent LRT on a traffic-free reservation. 😁

While the draft Transit Master Plan certainly has its issues, turning Portage into a BRT corridor seems a smart idea, at least on paper, as it would simplify the route, as all buses would terminate at Unicity, and would more likely than not see the 60-footers primarily, especially if it ties into the SWRTC. With the current setup, I hear “‘Do you stop at Grace Hospital?’ ‘No, take the Westwood.’” or “‘Do you go to Wal-Mart?’ ‘No, take the St. Charles or the 24.’” quite a bit. However, even when you factor out the complexity of Route 21, WT is often hesitant to make necessary changes when they need to be made. Until the TMP is implemented, and that’s assuming it will be at some point, we may never see any changes along Portage.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...