Welcome to the updated CPTDB!

If you prefer an older theme, you can change it back by scrolling to the very bottom and clicking on "Theme" on the bottom right. However, you can also change the background color/image by clicking on the "photo icon" in the black bar with your username at the top of the page.

Click the X on the top right of this box to dismiss this message.

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Winnipeg Transit and area

7 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

I call it "how to destroy faith in public transit in a city".

They like to interline stuff a lot now a lot of work now involves interlining my buddy once did a 29 that became a 60 that switched to a 55 and stayed on the 16 the rest of the night till 2 am 

Rode the 44 Grey London bus this afternoon on the FREE ride day. I know I could have taken the 47 Transcona Regent, but that was another 15 mins. wait from Concert Hall Stn.

That route should be turnedd into a suburban feeder for that part of town, 'cause gee whiskers ... it goes this way, then turns that way, then around this way. Enough to make my head spin.

yikes.jpg

If the downtown part were cancelled and it became route 444 or somethng like that it would speed up service and take one more bus route out of downtown.

16 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

Rode the 44 Grey London bus this afternoon on the FREE ride day. I know I could have taken the 47 Transcona Regent, but that was another 15 mins. wait from Concert Hall Stn.

That route should be turnedd into a suburban feeder for that part of town, 'cause gee whiskers ... it goes this way, then turns that way, then around this way. Enough to make my head spin.

yikes.jpg

If the downtown part were cancelled and it became route 444 or somethng like that it would speed up service and take one more bus route out of downtown.

I don’t know many people who ride the whole route but it does serve its purpose 

When you look at Winnipeg Transit's routes there are so many meandering routes and so many "C" and "U" -shaped routes. Winnipeg's arterial street pattern is quite irregular (vaguely star pattern, broken by three rivers (Red, Assiniboine & Seine) and two railway main lines) so a certain amount of backtracking and zig-zagging is to be expected but the current state often violates good design and common sense.

37 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

I don’t know many people who ride the whole route but it does serve its purpose 

I do it's quite fun actually

56 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

yikes.jpg

it's not that bad actually  at least it's better than 77

22 hours ago, DavidW said:

When you look at Winnipeg Transit's routes there are so many meandering routes and so many "C" and "U" -shaped routes. Winnipeg's arterial street pattern is quite irregular (vaguely star pattern, broken by three rivers (Red, Assiniboine & Seine) and two railway main lines) so a certain amount of backtracking and zig-zagging is to be expected but the current state often violates good design and common sense.

In the 1960s/70s when I lived there, most of the major routes were L-shaped.

I was on the bus today (Wed. June 5, 2019) around 4 pm and there was a system-wide announcement of a "Code 100" and that all operators were to pick up their bus phone (?) to listen to the voice msg.

What is this Code? Did WT have to "assist" a rowdy / dangerous person off the bus?

With regards to this story yesterday afternoon also around 4 pm (Tues. June 4, 2019), I noticed the buses were in the regular auto lane and the cars were in the Bus Only lane eastbound on Portage near the CBC Radio-Canada Manitoba bldg. Would have been nice to have WPS to help organize traffic better. My phone didn't have enough battery life in it to video it, otherwise I would have recorded a few seconds.

3 hours ago, LilZebra said:

I was on the bus today (Wed. June 5, 2019) around 4 pm and there was a system-wide announcement of a "Code 100" and that all operators were to pick up their bus phone (?) to listen to the voice msg.

What is this Code? Did WT have to "assist" a rowdy / dangerous person off the bus?

With regards to this story yesterday afternoon also around 4 pm (Tues. June 4, 2019), I noticed the buses were in the regular auto lane and the cars were in the Bus Only lane eastbound on Portage near the CBC Radio-Canada Manitoba bldg. Would have been nice to have WPS to help organize traffic better. My phone didn't have enough battery life in it to video it, otherwise I would have recorded a few seconds.

Code 100 all call is a when they want the operator to pick up the handset usually for dangerous situations where WPS are looking for someone and they possibly could be on a bus and the police need transits help if that person gets on a bus 

That's a different protocol than they used to use years ago when a missing persons report would be openly broadcast onto the bus PA system.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:50 AM, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

Code 100 all call is a when they want the operator to pick up the handset usually for dangerous situations where WPS are looking for someone and they possibly could be on a bus and the police need transits help if that person gets on a bus 

Ottawa calls that a "closed-air broadcast". 

Something interesting today: 

I was riding 55-17 tonight bus 109 and at around 7:40 2 police officers got on the bus at SB St. Mary’s at Marion and said we are just here to help, they remained on board until St. Vital centre and I don’t know what happened after that, they were pretty quiet other then asking when the driver finishes work. I was wondering is it just me that has seen this or has transit started asking police to be on board buses, I mean this is not like 1 or 2 stops downtown. 

Also has anyone else seen similar things? 

Heard a Code 100 "bus operators please pickup your handset within 30 seconds"at 16h05 today.

https://winnipegtransit.com/en/rider-guide/news/

The paper announcement poster I saw on a 47 Transcona bus today  listed routes that would have new scheduling, as well as one route, 44 Grey, with new routing. And yes, I'm pretty darn sure it was dated June 2019.

Yet upon checking the WT site for this new routing, it is not listed, only the scheduling changes.

What's up with that?

28 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

https://winnipegtransit.com/en/rider-guide/news/

The paper announcement poster I saw on a 47 Transcona bus today  listed routes that would have new scheduling, as well as one route, 44 Grey, with new routing. And yes, I'm pretty darn sure it was dated June 2019.

Yet upon checking the WT site for this new routing, it is not listed, only the scheduling changes.

What's up with that?

Yeah, I noticed that too, it might just be an error on their part 

In the area between Ft. Rouge Stn. and Osborne Stn. sits a few of those fancier transit signs. It's fairly far away and the vehicle is traveling too fast and my eyesight not as young as it used to be.

Does anyone know why they are being stored there, and what are some of labels on the signs?

If I were to point my camera phone out the window as we whoosh by at 80 km/h 🚶🏼‍♂️, wonder if later on in editing I could freeze frame it to see better details. Or are there people here (cough cough) who regularly visit the FRG (cough cough) who can do a photo of the "clump" while standing completely stationary (cough).

32 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

In the area between Ft. Rouge Stn. and Osborne Stn. sits a few of those fancier transit signs. It's fairly far away and the vehicle is traveling too fast and my eyesight not as young as it used to be.

Does anyone know why they are being stored there, and what are some of labels on the signs?

If I were to point my camera phone out the window as we whoosh by at 80 km/h 🚶🏼‍♂️, wonder if later on in editing I could freeze frame it to see better details. Or are there people here (cough cough) who regularly visit the FRG (cough cough) who can do a photo of the "clump" while standing completely stationary (cough).

Few of the signs from the old university of Manitoba terminal and few other ones and some transit inspectors shacks to