BCT-3122-D800-10240

Winnipeg Transit and area

1 minute ago, matt548 said:

Yeah but for example 29 is planned to terminate at Beaumont stn, and its number won't change

Cause it’s a mainline route so they don’t wanna change that it starts out in central and it has to branches city hall and now Beaumont so if u make it the 629 then u confuse a whole bunch of people so it makes sense why they didn’t change it 

2 minutes ago, matt548 said:

Yeah but for example 29 is planned to terminate at Beaumont stn, and its number won't change

People will get  confused at the HSC like most people just ride it to portage and what about the city hall it doesn’t even go to pembina 

See what I guys don’t understand is there trying to make the routes numbered different from how they are cause if they stay the same they confuse people so if it’s labled as 600 series Ik it’s the  neighbourhood feeder and it will run to the BRT station. This is a good thing and most likely the blue line will be numbered as 199 for computer purposes and runs but it’s gonna have between dowtown and southpark station 3-4 mins during peak and every 10 mins during evenings and weekends. This will get st Norbert all day and night bus service and will help all the main line blue line buses stay on time by not having to go in to the  neighbourhood. Same with the feeder buses they won’t go downtown so they won’t be running late at rush hour 

7 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

Cause it’s a mainline route so they don’t wanna change that it starts out in central and it has to branches city hall and now Beaumont so if u make it the 629 then u confuse a whole bunch of people so it makes sense why they didn’t change it 

What about all the other route and route number changes? Those won't confuse people, eh?

16 hours ago, LilZebra said:

Maybe in pre-computer days where Humans managed things. But these days, with electronic schedules, a route must be identified at least to the computer that does the scheduling to tell it apart from other routes.

The BLUE is a route, just named BLUE instead of a number.

7 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

But by labeling it a 600 series u kno just by the number it’s goimg to a RT station 

The 95 goes to Fort Rouge, but it's not being numbered 695.

13 minutes ago, Taylorover9001 said:

What about all the other route and route number changes? Those won't confuse people, eh?

The point is that the 600 series goes to a rapid transit station to transfer passengers to the blue line the blue line will be signed as a blue line but for computer and infodev purpose will be numbered 199-1 and up 

Just want to add my 2 cents regarding the "idea wall" for the Transit Master Plan before everything closes down for the long weekend here.

I have added some of my own comments to the "wall" with some good ideas that were somewhat well-received, while others have no up or down votes.

When I UP vote something someone else has written, I am able to UP vote that same idea multiple times, like once or more a day, from various computers. So this voting system that is part of the "idea wall" does not really produce an accurate representation of the popularity of ideas for improving WT services and products.

What should have happened is that there should have been a registration process, so that one can only UP or DOWN vote an idea once, while still maintaining the anonymity of who is suggesting the improvements or providing "constructive criticism" to that idea.

By the way, you all have till April 20th to finish up adding your ideas, voting on yours or others, and commenting on others ideas.

I noticed lots of "LRT" ideas. But we cant prove one way or another whether its one person or many that are suggesting we "get an LRT".

From years and years of monitoring transit debate in Winnipeg, I know there are very few suggesting we move the CP rail yards (and others) and install and LRT due to the sheer immence cost of moving any rail Yard. The only people suggesting this is Shane Nestruck and Don Woodstock.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:51 AM, matt548 said:

lol he mentioned 666 because it's considered the devil's number 

and about 13, Edmonton and Calgary have route 13, why can't Winnipeg? 

also why is there no 23?

23 is my birthdate number, and I already have 66 as my birth year. So there. Too much of a good thing...

4 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

I have seen the crews for summer and there boring and really screwed up 

Translation, pls.

Has this got anything to do with Elon Musk's 'The Boring Company' by any chance?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

Translation, pls.

Has this got anything to do with Elon Musk's 'The Boring Company' by any chance?

All the work is chopped up there no good work anymore the amount of straight shifts is down and for senior drivers that’s not good for them who like 8 hour straight shifts

Love it when I check a stop, and it says the bus'll come in 3 minutes. 3 minutes later I check again, and it say 3 minutes. 3 minutes later, still says 3. WTF?

Also, 13+ minutes for a 60?

3 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

Love it when I check a stop, and it says the bus'll come in 3 minutes. 3 minutes later I check again, and it say 3 minutes. 3 minutes later, still says 3. WTF?

the times on the stops are only an estimate, there are other things that would make the bus late for example traffic and lights which the times on the stop wouldn't tell you about, there were times when I was waiting for the 58 at Osborne junction the stop says its going to come in 7 minutes and when it got to 3 minutes it suddenly went back to 7 minutes, things happen and so does the times on the stops. 

8 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

You should count yerself lucky, dude. Prior to 2012, headways on the 60 Pembina were 15 mins. (peak & possibly early evening). Then BRT happened and WT reduced service down to every 30 mins. That's why we have the almost useless (few riders) 99 now, because people were complaining about service removal from the northern part terminus of Pembina Hwy. to Jubilee (or Point Rd.).

Next year, when WT goes to the more efficient and sensible Feeder & Main line system, the 60 will operate every 10 (peak), 15 (midday), 20 (early evening), 30 (late evening) minutes apart.

SOURCE: WT 60 Pembina (Proposed April 2020 map and frequencies)

On 4/7/2019 at 7:05 PM, Taylorover9001 said:

I got an idea. Simplify the 95 (pls. WT, give this a new number) to travel the whole length of Taylor Ave., the River Heights part and the Tuxedo (West Taylor) part. East end terminates at Beaumont Stn. West end terminates at Tuxedo Park Shopping Centre. If you wanna go to Polo Park, I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to transfer to a 74 Kenaston, which is gonna have to operate more frequently or transfer to a 79 Charleswood Polo Park at Tuxedo Park Shopping Centre. That means the 95 will no longer go all the way to Polo Park Transit Terminal. But it also should mean(s) improved frequency on the 79.

The other route that is currently part of the 95, which serves the south Osborne part of Ft. Rouge can be renamed the Jubilee (like it was in the 60s and 70s) or continue to call it Morley.

The Jubilee bus would travel all the way down that street and not half way like it does now. It would continue to serve the Riverview Health Centre. The other terminus would end at Beaumont Stn. In between, the Jubilee bus could turn every which way in Ft. Rouge the way the current 95 does. Passengers could ride the Jubilee bus to go to Jubilee Ice Cream, err...BDI. Added service to Churchill Dr. Park.

Result is better connections to Osborne St. from Pembina Hwy. in the Beaumont neighbourhood of Ft. Garry. If you needed to go to St. Vital, from the Beaumont area, there would be no need to travel back to Main @ Stradbrook, as you could catch a southbound 16 Osborne or 58 Dakota Express from Osborne @ Jubilee.

Result is improved on time performance and less complexity. The portion of the 95 covering the Red in Yellow highlight is Deleted. The "new" portion would go all the way down Jubilee, AND also (if possible) serve Churchill Dr., then go back up north to continue as the route is now. Service to Riverview Health is maintained.

Winnipeg Transit - Route 95 - Tuxedo - Riverview - Mozilla Firefox_869.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

The algorithm Transit uses to predict the arrival time of late-running buses is wildly over optimistic about the time a late bus might make up. The computer code needs to be re-written.

My practice now is when I'm using the website from my phone and a bus is late from schedule I find a bus stop where the same bus is now "due" and note the number of minutes late it is there. That's a better forecast than the one Transit uses.

--

Prior to SW Transitway Phase I opening the Winter midday weekday headway of the 60 Pembina was 9.67 minutes (9, 9, 10). (Summer midday weekday headway was 12 minutes). 

In 1982 the Winter midday weekday headway of the Pembina route was about 4 minutes (and rush hour was a bus "every threeto four minutes").

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

The algorithm Transit uses to predict the arrival time of late-running buses is wildly over optimistic about the time a late bus might make up. The computer code needs to be re-written.

I feel people would be more angry about transit saying a bus is due in 7 minutes, and then have it show up in 5.

2 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

I feel people would be more angry about transit saying a bus is due in 7 minutes, and then have it show up in 5.

The algorithm should be something closer to "same number of minutes late as 15 minutes up the route, minus a safety padding of a minute or two". I don't know what the current algorithm is but its results somewhat resemble "half the minutes the bus actually is late". No bus 10 minutes late ever makes up half that time in 10 minutes of running (unless the driver is doing 80km/h in the 40km/h zones).

The result of the current algorithm is that the arrival information for late-running buses is always wrong (and always early) until the bus is a minute away. It gets less wrong as the minutes count down but isn't right until the bus is a minute or so away. 

It would be relatively easy to change the programming and make it more accurate earlier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

(unless the driver is doing 80km/h in the 40km/h zones)

Cop: You were going 68 in a 55

Me: Can you round that up to something a little cooler?

Judge: How the hell were you going 420 in a 55?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Cop: You were going 68 in a 55

Me: Can you round that up to something a little cooler?

Judge: How the hell were you going 420 in a 55?

WPS has to make that money somehow. :P

Seriously though, I'm amazed after how many years...? that Winnipeg Transit STILL can't get it right. 6xx bus routes, no direct feeders to Seasons with any reasonable frequency (feeders, not Route 74 going into spirograph mode down Kenaston), no Charleswood feeders to the mall either, or 95 reroutes to the mall, or any actual efforts to boost ridership in the South, minus just building the road to nowhere and assuming everyone will get out of the Cadillac's and hop right in... I mean, they will confuse everyone with the numbering scheme, and draw some more random lines on the map, but how about some ACTUAL concrete changes? Like David mentioned awhile back, a Crosstown South being brought back? A crosstown West from Waverley West to RRC, where it would transfer to the 77 (rerouted to RRC and boosting frequency significantly) or the Crosstown South at Waverley West, which South route will connect with the RT station before taking the Perimeter to South St. Vital? Plus I'm sure the drivers on the 77 would appreciate not having to drive all the way to Polo anymore. And thats just for the South of Winnipeg... the whole system needs a fresh look at it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LilZebra said:

You should count yerself lucky, dude. Prior to 2012, headways on the 60 Pembina were 15 mins. (peak & possibly early evening). Then BRT happened and WT reduced service down to every 30 mins. That's why we have the almost useless (few riders) 99 now, because people were complaining about service removal from the northern part terminus of Pembina Hwy. to Jubilee (or Point Rd.).

Next year, when WT goes to the more efficient and sensible Feeder & Main line system, the 60 will operate every 10 (peak), 15 (midday), 20 (early evening), 30 (late evening) minutes apart.

SOURCE: WT 60 Pembina (Proposed April 2020 map and frequencies)

I got an idea. Simplify the 95 (pls. WT, give this a new number) to travel the whole length of Taylor Ave., the River Heights part and the Tuxedo (West Taylor) part. East end terminates at Beaumont Stn. West end terminates at Tuxedo Park Shopping Centre. If you wanna go to Polo Park, I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to transfer to a 74 Kenaston, which is gonna have to operate more frequently or transfer to a 79 Charleswood Polo Park at Tuxedo Park Shopping Centre. That means the 95 will no longer go all the way to Polo Park Transit Terminal. But it also should mean(s) improved frequency on the 79.

The other route that is currently part of the 95, which serves the south Osborne part of Ft. Rouge can be renamed the Jubilee (like it was in the 60s and 70s) or continue to call it Morley.

The Jubilee bus would travel all the way down that street and not half way like it does now. It would continue to serve the Riverview Health Centre. The other terminus would end at Beaumont Stn. In between, the Jubilee bus could turn every which way in Ft. Rouge the way the current 95 does. Passengers could ride the Jubilee bus to go to Jubilee Ice Cream, err...BDI. Added service to Churchill Dr. Park.

Result is better connections to Osborne St. from Pembina Hwy. in the Beaumont neighbourhood of Ft. Garry. If you needed to go to St. Vital, from the Beaumont area, there would be no need to travel back to Main @ Stradbrook, as you could catch a southbound 16 Osborne or 58 Dakota Express from Osborne @ Jubilee.

Result is improved on time performance and less complexity. The portion of the 95 covering the Red in Yellow highlight is Deleted. The "new" portion would go all the way down Jubilee, AND also (if possible) serve Churchill Dr., then go back up north to continue as the route is now. Service to Riverview Health is maintained.

Winnipeg Transit - Route 95 - Tuxedo - Riverview - Mozilla Firefox_869.png

Good idea, except for the part where the bus has to fall off of the St Vital Bridge onto Churchill Drive (bike path?). Should be EB Jubilee, SB/EB Churchill to NB Morley.

It was nice the other day that two staff members of the TMP team attended the Funct. Transit Winnipeg AGM.

On 4/23/2019 at 5:52 PM, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

All the work is chopped up there no good work anymore the amount of straight shifts is down and for senior drivers that’s not good for them who like 8 hour straight shifts

Is that why practically every bus ride I take for the past few months, they're always switching drivers? Doesn't matter which route I take.

4 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

It was nice the other day that two staff members of the TMP team attended the Funct. Transit Winnipeg AGM.

Is that why practically every bus ride I take for the past few months, they're always switching drivers? Doesn't matter which route I take.

Not really just mean that work that used to be say a straight 90 got chopped up and now is 3 trips 90 one trip 44 and inbound 49 it’s dumb cause ur on time for the 90 then the 44 kills u so now ur late for the 49