Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Ridership to and from the University of Manitoba varies seasonally with the University term schedule.  The student population May through August is much smaller than September through April.  I believe 60-footers are common on Route 36 during the Winter Session, and less so during the Spring/Summer session.

This is actually a misuse of 60-footers. The higher capacity buses should only be used on services that are already "high frequency"* and still need more capacity.  Route 36 is low-frequency, with buses around every half hour mid-day.  If additional capacity is needed on a half-hour headway, the headway should be reduced by adding more buses. Route 36 is a special case because the mid-day buses between the UofM's Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses are partly paid for by The University of Manitoba.

* Winnipeg Transit also doesn't have a definition of "high-frequency".  I would suggest a ten-minute headway as the high frequency target.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

Bus 835 has a problem with one of the windows. If you close the window, it re-opens about a minute later. I remember this bus or another one having the same problem a few months ago.

oh yeah i noticed that as well... 

not just #835 though...

Any word of when Polo Park Transit Terminal will be completed? It is still missing:

Electronic schedules

Printed schedules at each sop

A woman was texting away and walkiong on the TT "platform". She didn't fall  into the missing cement part where the sign for one of the permanent signs is supposed to be mounted.

7 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

Any word of when Polo Park Transit Terminal will be completed? It is still missing:

Electronic schedules

Printed schedules at each sop

A woman was texting away and walkiong on the TT "platform". She didn't fall  into the missing cement part where the sign for one of the permanent signs is supposed to be mounted.

Probably will see phase 2 Done first msg ur city counciler and say u Want it finished call 311 day ur elderly grandma or grandpa can’t tell when bus is coming 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 2:23 PM, DavidW said:

Just observed 885 on the 110 DART. I guess dispatch opted for AC over nimbleness today.

I saw 885 today near The Bay downtown, and Saturday evening on 160 or 170 route.

On 7/3/2018 at 9:18 PM, wpgtransit183-2 said:

Probably will see phase 2 Done first msg ur city counciler and say u Want it finished call 311 day ur elderly grandma or grandpa can’t tell when bus is coming 

Just e-mailed Peter Havens, Gen. Mgr. of Polo Park. Will give an update here as soon as he replies.

Havens was on vacation until July 30th, so I have not received his response yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Winnipeg Transit has announced their fall schedule changes starting September 2nd

The are 2 major changes:

1) The 78 routes will be split into 2 separate routes. 

- 78 Waverley will replaced the old 78 Cambridge leg,

74 Kenaston leg will replaced the old 78 Kenaston leg with routing down Bison and Waverley instead of Pembina, service  to the Outlet Mall, only rush-hour service to Tuxedo Business Park, and Lowson Crescent, and extended hours later in the evening.

2) A major schedule change affecting all routes to the University of Manitoba to improve service frequency and reliability

1 hour ago, trebor204 said:

Winnipeg Transit has announced their fall schedule changes starting September 2nd

The are 2 major changes:

74 Kenaston leg will replaced the old 78 Kenaston leg with routing down Bison and Waverley instead of Pembina, service  to the Outlet Mall, only rush-hour service to Tuxedo Business Park, and Lowson Crescent, and extended hours later in the evening.

2) A major schedule change affecting all routes to the University of Manitoba to improve service frequency and reliability

Interesting.  Thanks for posting this.

I wonder what the "major schedule change affecting all routes to the University of Manitoba" is...

10 hours ago, trebor204 said:

The are 2 major changes:

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to this!

But on an unrelated topic, when  is construction on the transitway will be finished? it's getting pretty annoying (ie, when are the stoplights between Osborne and Harkness'll be removed)

1 hour ago, trebor204 said:

Forgot to add the link

http://winnipegtransit.com/en/rider-guide/news/#fallservicechange

I notice that almost all the UofM routes will have changes Saturday and Sunday as well. I don't think they are the 'Extra' buses that all removed during the Spring and Summer.

I asked...

I am told the gps tracking data was examined and the running times for various route segments were adjusted to better reflect actual travel times. There was also an effort to address the accidental platooning of overlapping buses, especially at low frequency times (like evenings and weekends) to try to provide more even service.

I think both of these tasks were strongly needed, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the resulting schedules.

Trivia question...

The New Flyer model D40 (high floor) were all delivered in orange and cream (the "check mark" scheme). Many were later repainted.

The New Flyer models D40LF and D30LF were (at least initially) delivered in a modified scheme, white with prominent painted strip in black and two shades of orange. The D40LF's and many of the d30LF's were generally repainted white.

Did the white with stripe decal in blue etc.. colour scheme begin during the later D40LF deliveries, or start with the D40LFR's? Which were the first buses delivered in all-white?