BCT-3122-D800-10240

Winnipeg Transit and area

18 hours ago, DavidW said:

Two things to keep in mind are [1] that the driver costs the same whether the bus is 30ft or 40ft, and [2] the cost of a heavy duty 40-ft is not much different from a heavy duty 30-ft.  The 30-ft is essentially the same vehicle as the 40-ft, with the least expensive 10 feet of the vehicle left out.  Same engine, drive train, suspension, electronics, etc...

Hi, David:

The Grande West Vicinity costs about 40% less to purchase than a standard 40'. Maintenance is also about 1/3 less, plus fuel savings. GW engineered a true 30' heavy duty bus from the ground up requested by BC Transit - so it's not a 40' with 10' removed. 35' is also the same metrics and can hold up to about 55 passengers, not that different than a 40'.

Cheers,

TF

1 hour ago, TransitFocus said:

Hi, David:

The Grande West Vicinity costs about 40% less to purchase than a standard 40'. Maintenance is also about 1/3 less, plus fuel savings. GW engineered a true 30' heavy duty bus from the ground up requested by BC Transit - so it's not a 40' with 10' removed. 35' is also the same metrics and can hold up to about 55 passengers, not that different than a 40'.

Cheers,

TF

While you're right there is a significant savings in purchasing a 30' Vicinity compared to a standard 40' bus I will disagree that it is about 40%. It is more in the 20-25% range from what I have seen. Still, that is a significant capital savings which can amount to upwards of $100,000 per bus.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silly Tilley said:

While you're right there is a significant savings in purchasing a 30' Vicinity compared to a standard 40' bus I will disagree that it is about 40%. It is more in the 20-25% range from what I have seen. Still, that is a significant capital savings which can amount to upwards of $100,000 per bus.

Whatever type or size of vehicle you may use, labor will still be the biggest cost factor, up to 80% - unless it's proposed to pay drivers of smaller buses less than those of big ones.

6 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

You are correct, @Silly Tilley. Capital cost savings combined with fuel/maintenance can be up to 30-40% overall. Thank you for your correction (it's always a moving target).

@Mark Walton If the 40' buses are running under-utilized, why throw away the initial capital investment, maintenance and fuel savings just because it's a smaller percentage of overall costs vs. labour?  

LRT   

Absolutely devastating to hear this. As a Calgary Transit operator and a member of ATU 583 my condolences go to all my fellow ATU brothers and sisters and family of the operator.

2017-02-14-12-01-38--171091620.png

2017-02-14-12-01-38--171091620.thumb.png.722cf9b69a46a7dd62782f3c1400511e.png

• Like 3

LRT   
16 minutes ago, wpgtransit183-2 said:

471 on 45-2 very rare for this run to get a 400 usually gets a 7,1,6 or an 800 

Delete

26 minutes ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

Last night 160 had 470 witch was a all night run so it's not rare to see a 400 out late. 

This 400 you don't want spongy brakes and going over 40km it didn't like stopping 

1 hour ago, wpgtransit183-2 said:

This 400 you don't want spongy brakes and going over 40km it didn't like stopping 

They're great buses. Very rarely ill hear about the breaks pulling to the right/left. It's the 500s you gotta watch for

2 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

They're great buses. Very rarely ill hear about the breaks pulling to the right/left. It's the 500s you gotta watch for

This bus was really testing my friends patience we ended up with a 500 that worked great 

DavidW   

I hear that Transit Tom hopes to renovate the Polo Park transit terminal this summer. Streets & Transportation may also undertake road resurfacing on Empress St. or St. James St. or both this summer. It could be a "fun" summer for transit operations around Polo Park...

(Anyone noticed anything in City Hall documents?)

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

I hear that Transit Tom hopes to renovate the Polo Park transit terminal this summer. Streets & Transportation may also undertake road resurfacing on Empress St. or St. James St. or both this summer. It could be a "fun" summer for transit operations around Polo Park...

(Anyone noticed anything in City Hall documents?)

Hey thanks for this I'll let my friend know to avoid polo park routes this summer can u find out if it's the 11/12 terminal my buddy likes 11,77 and 66 and this could change his sign up for summer 

It looks like the bulk of the storm/snow will miss Winnipeg. The problem will be rain changing to snow Monday evening and freezing overnight. However, Tuesday morning will be interesting.

3 minutes ago, trebor204 said:

It looks like the bulk of the storm/snow will miss Winnipeg. The problem will be rain changing to snow Monday evening and freezing overnight. However, Tuesday morning will be interesting.

True let's hope we don't have a repeat of the two buses hitting each other