Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

I thought allowing pets on buses were pretty common in Canada (in cages) :P TBT allows pets in cages on but I have yet to see one yet...

Not all because due to alergies or afraid to get attack. Brampton transit is strictly not allow any pets on buses, which I remember a poor girl with a caged cat end up getting a transfer and exit the bus right away as soon she paid the fare and driver said you can't bring pets on buses.

This will take a long while, then again it goes to anywhere. Mississauga riders are very notorious when it comes opening the window when a/c is on because some of them they find are too cold.
Too cold?? Wow! Can't be too cold on the NFI's.... is it?

Does anyone remember when Mississauga Transit orion V 9701 was fully wrapped for playdium??? I jumped on the bus on the hottest day of the summer, only to find it was about 20 degrees colder inside the bus.... oh, and the windows werescrewed shut!!!!!

Does anyone remember when Mississauga Transit orion V 9701 was fully wrapped for playdium??? I jumped on the bus on the hottest day of the summer, only to find it was about 20 degrees colder inside the bus.... oh, and the windows werescrewed shut!!!!!

Huh? That was about at least 9 years ago.

Had a ride aboard an Enviro on the 22 today and was actually impressed by the amount of seats available in these buses. I'm far less offended with LF when there are about as many regular seats available as on a normal bus. Now apparently these enviros don't have a very good reputation. But speaking simply as a passenger who wishes to have and keep a seat (no musical chairs or being made to feel guilty for taking a seat) I kind of like these enviros. Sorry if that makes me a laughing stock among you D40LF standees.

Stopped at Winnipeg for an hour, saw lots of D40LFs, two D40LFRs, three D30LFs and a single Invero. :rolleyes: Why are all WT drivers grumpy and old?! :lol: At least they didn't p*ss me off for taking pictures!!

Today's sightings

203, 240, 254, 255, 274, 279, 402, 416, 453, 456, 484, 496, 532, 702, 705, 910, 944, 947, 992

Stopped at Winnipeg for an hour, saw lots of D40LFs, two D40LFRs, three D30LFs and a single Invero. :rolleyes: Why are all WT drivers grumpy and old?! :lol: At least they didn't p*ss me off for taking pictures!!

Well, there are high crimes down in Winnipeg, which is why most of the drivers find it difficult to deal with.

What do you consider "old " . As for grumpy you also have to consider that WTS is is in the middle of a strike action with a total ban on overtime to start on the part of the union and the city threatening to lock the doors by this wednesday or Thursday. As for the age of the drivers , there are lots of younger drivers but maybe not as much as in other cities. WTS is short about 100 drivers at any given time over the past 3-4 years . There is an extremely high turn over in the first 5 years as drivers get burned out or just have had enough , and during training there is close to 50% drop out rate as people find out what the job is really about. Training is in groups of 8 with 4 quitting during and another 2 usually leaving in that first 5 years.

Wow dhel I didn't realize things had escalated that much. I depend on the bus to get me safely to/from work. I sure hope this gets resolved for the sake of all involved. Parking downtown is already a nightmare.

Here is an update on the WT strike.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/20...pg-transit.html

Bus drivers, city reach contract agreement in Winnipeg

Last Updated: Thursday, July 31, 2008 | 12:17 PM CT

Winnipeg Transit service is expected to return to normal soon, after the union representing drivers reached a contract agreement with the City of Winnipeg.

There may be some minor scheduling issues with respect to Thursday's transit service, but regular schedules will resume shortly, city officials said Thursday.

The Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1505, which represents about 1,000 bus drivers and 250 maintenance workers in Winnipeg, had been refusing to work overtime since July 25 in a contract dispute with the city.

Without drivers working overtime, between 15 and 20 buses were not running each day, affecting mostly morning rush-hour service, transit officials said.

All contract matters were resolved by mutual consent, except for provisions dealing with Sunday shifts for drivers. That issue will be referred to arbitration, city officials said Thursday.

"It's effectively the same offer — the difference being the main issue of contention, [which] was the Sunday shifting," said transit director Dave Wardrop.

The new agreement will see drivers and maintenance workers receive general salary increases of 2.0 per cent this year, 2.9 per cent next year and 3.0 per cent in 2010.

The contract will not go to a vote, said union spokesman Keith Scott. Union leadership felt this was the best deal possible, and the alternative would have been a full-fledged walkout, he said.

In that case, workers would likely have eventually been ordered back to work by legislation, Scott said.

I am relieved to say the least but you should hear all the talk about having the union executive board resign with some calling for desertification . Many drivers are upset about not being able to vote on it. On a couple of blogs that drivers have available the language is not to nice. It will be an interesting few weeks ahead.

• 1 month later...
September 8, 2008

RAPID TRANSIT AGREEMENT INKED BY WINNIPEG AND MANITOBA

– – –

$138-million Project To Include Dedicated Bicycle Paths

A rapid transit system and dedicated bicycle paths linking south Winnipeg to the downtown is one step closer to shovels going in the ground following a $138-million funding agreement reached between the City of Winnipeg and the Province of Manitoba, Premier Gary Doer and Mayor Sam Katz announced today.

“This is a significant infrastructure project linking south Winnipeg to our downtown,” said Doer. “It will help improve transit ridership and efficiency, while helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and meet Kyoto targets. I am pleased to partner with the mayor on this important initiative.”

The first stage of the Southwest Rapid Transit Corridor will receive a $138-million investment and will extend from Jubilee Avenue to The Forks with a second, future stage to run from Jubilee Avenue to Bison Drive with both stages incorporating bike paths into their construction.

“I’ve always said rapid transit is part of our city’s future,” said Katz. “Today’s announcement takes a comprehensive approach to link our city with hubs focusing on mixed residential and commercial development that will provide the financial stability needed to make this important project a reality. By laying the groundwork today, we can move ahead on providing Winnipeggers with quick, reliable and green transportation alternatives at a time when gas prices are an unprecedented high.”

Winnipeg will contribute $30.75 million which includes $17.5 million from the 2008 Federal Transit Trust. The province will match the federal transit trust contribution of $17.5 million and will fund 50 per cent of the net operating costs of the rapid transit system through its existing 50-50 transit funding agreement, fulfilling its legislative commitment under the Climate Change Act passed earlier this spring.

The new rapid transit corridor will utilize the innovative tax increment financing tool to capture any incremental growth from residential and commercial infill development along the rapid transit corridor. Tax increment financing is an investment and development tool that reinvests property and school taxes into certain areas to encourage infrastructure development that otherwise would not take place.

As part of today’s agreement, the mayor and premier also agreed to jointly seek a one-third federal contribution to the second stage of the Southwest Rapid Transit Corridor and agreed to work together to continue the development of a comprehensive rapid transit system for the city of Winnipeg.

Source

This is good news, thanks mersar for sharing. There is no doubt that this is a busy route which would benefit from this sort of thing. However, I would have preferred to see this go in for the Portage Ave route to Unicity. Regardless, my question is what exactly is meant by "rapid transit"...you can simply create another express route, take a lane of road away from cars and there's your rapid transit. The announcement above does not specify the type of equipment they have in mind. Anyone have any ideas of what this might actually entail?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright, this is for the guys that know WT very well.. I'm highly considering a visit to Winnipeg this spring to check out my fav livery 'orange and cream' :lol: I checked the WT wiki and I pretty sure it's not up to date. Can someone provide me a current roster with the active total of D40's, D901, and classics in there. I'd like to know how many buses are left in detail by fleet number in the older orange and cream. Also, the locations of the garages and how I can get in contact with someone at the MTHA to see their historical fleet? Anyone know who I could contact for garage visits? Numbers and email address can be sent via PM to be kept secret if desired. I'd really appreciated it if someone can help me out :)

Alright, this is for the guys that know WT very well.. I'm highly considering a visit to Winnipeg this spring to check out my fav livery 'orange and cream' :P I checked the WT wiki and I pretty sure it's not up to date. Can someone provide me a current roster with the active total of D40's, D901, and classics in there. I'd like to know how many buses are left in detail by fleet number in the older orange and cream. Also, the locations of the garages and how I can get in contact with someone at the MTHA to see their historical fleet? Anyone know who I could contact for garage visits? Numbers and email address can be sent via PM to be kept secret if desired. I'd really appreciated it if someone can help me out :P

I'm not sure but I think most of the Orange and Creamer's are in the Main St. garage but you can also check the Osborne garage.

For photos of buses that are hard to find your best bet would be to stake out at the Main Street or Osbourne Street (Fort Rouge) garage before and after rush hour.

As for terminals to find buses, from what I remember

- Garden City

- Kildonan Place

- Polo Park

- St. Vital Centre

- University of Manitoba

- University of Winnipeg

Another place that's great to go in rush hour is the Graham Avenue transit mall in downtown Winnipeg which sees a lot of buses heading to/from all parts of the city.

Not too sure how many of their buses have been repainted into their new scheme, there were plenty of buses in the orange and cream scheme when I was there. I recall all the D901's, all the Classics and many of the D30LF's, D40LF's and D40HF's were still in the old scheme and only a few were repainted into the new scheme (of course not counting the newer D40LF's from 2002 onwards IIRC.

As for sources to consult before heading to Winnipeg

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/alltime...peg-roster.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_Transit

http://www.mtha.ca/index.html

For Winnipeg Transit, just email them ahead of time and they will direct you through the right channels.

A must visit if you are heading to Winnipeg is Beaver Bus lines, they have a great vintage fleet. It's too bad you missed out on the TDH-4517's, although MTHA has one in their collection so try to get into contact with them.