Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Does anyone know if the 137/161 super express routes will co-exist with BLUE, or simply be replaced? Is it possible that there will be a “BLUE Express” route that travels on the transitway, but does not stop at all stations?

16 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

Does anyone know if the 137/161 super express routes will co-exist with BLUE, or simply be replaced? Is it possible that there will be a “BLUE Express” route that travels on the transitway, but does not stop at all stations?

No more 137/161 it’s nust the blue line it’s gonna be 28 brand new articulated buses running during the day every 3-4 minutes so it replaces the 137,161,163,162,180/181,183

Went to the open house in st Norbert. I learned a lot like that the have had feedback that they probably will be keeping the 65,66 on brt but possibly going broadway smith/Donald to red river college and that the reason for the buses being numbered as 676 for example it goes via a rapid transit station I like the ideas. My favourite is naming it just the blue line with no route number 

12 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

My favourite is naming it just the blue line with no route number 

Maybe in pre-computer days where Humans managed things. But these days, with electronic schedules, a route must be identified at least to the computer that does the scheduling to tell it apart from other routes.

Being sarcastic here, but if they're going with route numbers beginning with "6" then why not a route "666"? We already have run 66-6.

And to that, why is there no route 13 nor a route 69? I've asked this for several years and I still don't think I've gotten an answer. I know "13" is a superstitious "unlucky" number in some culture. And "69" has sexual connotations.

Or like bus no. "711" is the "Slurpee bus".

8 hours ago, LilZebra said:

Maybe in pre-computer days where Humans managed things. But these days, with electronic schedules, a route must be identified at least to the computer that does the scheduling to tell it apart from other routes.

Being sarcastic here, but if they're going with route numbers beginning with "6" then why not a route "666"? We already have run 66-6.

And to that, why is there no route 13 nor a route 69? I've asked this for several years and I still don't think I've gotten an answer. I know "13" is a superstitious "unlucky" number in some culture. And "69" has sexual connotations.

Or like bus no. "711" is the "Slurpee bus".

No 666 cause there’s route 666 cause the 66 goes thru to downtown the 6 series as example 664, 672 is to tell the rider that this bus isn’t going downtown and will be connecting to the blue line and the rapid transit station. And for example with the 13 and 69 routes I think transit likes to stay away from them cause to some the number 13 is unlucky and the sexuality of 69 so to save its self lots of trouble it chooses not to use numbers 13 and 69 for routes 

Just now, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

No 666 cause there’s route 666 cause the 66 goes thru to downtown the 6 series as example 664, 672 is to tell the rider that this bus isn’t going downtown and will be connecting to the blue line and the rapid transit station. And for example with the 13 and 69 routes I think transit likes to stay away from them cause to some the number 13 is unlucky and the sexuality of 69 so to save its self lots of trouble it chooses not to use numbers 13 and 69 for routes 

lol he mentioned 666 because it's considered the devil's number 

and about 13, Edmonton and Calgary have route 13, why can't Winnipeg? 

also why is there no 23?

10 minutes ago, 1046bluebus said:

I personally don't like the idea of 600 series numbers. Not sure why but it seems tacky to me. You could accomplish the same thing with a destination sign that clearly states it terminates at a RT station. 

This. 

I Absolutely agree

10 minutes ago, 1046bluebus said:

I personally don't like the idea of 600 series numbers. Not sure why but it seems tacky to me. You could accomplish the same thing with a destination sign that clearly states it terminates at a RT station. 

But by labeling it a 600 series u kno just by the number it’s goimg to a RT station 

1 minute ago, matt548 said:

Yeah but for example 29 is planned to terminate at Beaumont stn, and its number won't change

Cause it’s a mainline route so they don’t wanna change that it starts out in central and it has to branches city hall and now Beaumont so if u make it the 629 then u confuse a whole bunch of people so it makes sense why they didn’t change it 

See what I guys don’t understand is there trying to make the routes numbered different from how they are cause if they stay the same they confuse people so if it’s labled as 600 series Ik it’s the  neighbourhood feeder and it will run to the BRT station. This is a good thing and most likely the blue line will be numbered as 199 for computer purposes and runs but it’s gonna have between dowtown and southpark station 3-4 mins during peak and every 10 mins during evenings and weekends. This will get st Norbert all day and night bus service and will help all the main line blue line buses stay on time by not having to go in to the  neighbourhood. Same with the feeder buses they won’t go downtown so they won’t be running late at rush hour 

7 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

Cause it’s a mainline route so they don’t wanna change that it starts out in central and it has to branches city hall and now Beaumont so if u make it the 629 then u confuse a whole bunch of people so it makes sense why they didn’t change it 

What about all the other route and route number changes? Those won't confuse people, eh?

16 hours ago, LilZebra said:

The BLUE is a route, just named BLUE instead of a number.

7 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

But by labeling it a 600 series u kno just by the number it’s goimg to a RT station 

The 95 goes to Fort Rouge, but it's not being numbered 695.

13 minutes ago, Taylorover9001 said:

What about all the other route and route number changes? Those won't confuse people, eh?

The point is that the 600 series goes to a rapid transit station to transfer passengers to the blue line the blue line will be signed as a blue line but for computer and infodev purpose will be numbered 199-1 and up 

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to add my 2 cents regarding the "idea wall" for the Transit Master Plan before everything closes down for the long weekend here.

I have added some of my own comments to the "wall" with some good ideas that were somewhat well-received, while others have no up or down votes.

When I UP vote something someone else has written, I am able to UP vote that same idea multiple times, like once or more a day, from various computers. So this voting system that is part of the "idea wall" does not really produce an accurate representation of the popularity of ideas for improving WT services and products.

What should have happened is that there should have been a registration process, so that one can only UP or DOWN vote an idea once, while still maintaining the anonymity of who is suggesting the improvements or providing "constructive criticism" to that idea.

By the way, you all have till April 20th to finish up adding your ideas, voting on yours or others, and commenting on others ideas.

I noticed lots of "LRT" ideas. But we cant prove one way or another whether its one person or many that are suggesting we "get an LRT".

From years and years of monitoring transit debate in Winnipeg, I know there are very few suggesting we move the CP rail yards (and others) and install and LRT due to the sheer immence cost of moving any rail Yard. The only people suggesting this is Shane Nestruck and Don Woodstock.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:51 AM, matt548 said:

lol he mentioned 666 because it's considered the devil's number 

and about 13, Edmonton and Calgary have route 13, why can't Winnipeg? 

also why is there no 23?

23 is my birthdate number, and I already have 66 as my birth year. So there. Too much of a good thing...

3 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

Love it when I check a stop, and it says the bus'll come in 3 minutes. 3 minutes later I check again, and it say 3 minutes. 3 minutes later, still says 3. WTF?

Also, 13+ minutes for a 60?

the times on the stops are only an estimate, there are other things that would make the bus late for example traffic and lights which the times on the stop wouldn't tell you about, there were times when I was waiting for the 58 at Osborne junction the stop says its going to come in 7 minutes and when it got to 3 minutes it suddenly went back to 7 minutes, things happen and so does the times on the stops. 

8 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

Love it when I check a stop, and it says the bus'll come in 3 minutes. 3 minutes later I check again, and it say 3 minutes. 3 minutes later, still says 3. WTF?

Also, 13+ minutes for a 60?

You should count yerself lucky, dude. Prior to 2012, headways on the 60 Pembina were 15 mins. (peak & possibly early evening). Then BRT happened and WT reduced service down to every 30 mins. That's why we have the almost useless (few riders) 99 now, because people were complaining about service removal from the northern part terminus of Pembina Hwy. to Jubilee (or Point Rd.).

Next year, when WT goes to the more efficient and sensible Feeder & Main line system, the 60 will operate every 10 (peak), 15 (midday), 20 (early evening), 30 (late evening) minutes apart.

SOURCE: WT 60 Pembina (Proposed April 2020 map and frequencies)

On 4/7/2019 at 7:05 PM, Taylorover9001 said:

I got an idea. Simplify the 95 (pls. WT, give this a new number) to travel the whole length of Taylor Ave., the River Heights part and the Tuxedo (West Taylor) part. East end terminates at Beaumont Stn. West end terminates at Tuxedo Park Shopping Centre. If you wanna go to Polo Park, I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to transfer to a 74 Kenaston, which is gonna have to operate more frequently or transfer to a 79 Charleswood Polo Park at Tuxedo Park Shopping Centre. That means the 95 will no longer go all the way to Polo Park Transit Terminal. But it also should mean(s) improved frequency on the 79.

The other route that is currently part of the 95, which serves the south Osborne part of Ft. Rouge can be renamed the Jubilee (like it was in the 60s and 70s) or continue to call it Morley.

The Jubilee bus would travel all the way down that street and not half way like it does now. It would continue to serve the Riverview Health Centre. The other terminus would end at Beaumont Stn. In between, the Jubilee bus could turn every which way in Ft. Rouge the way the current 95 does. Passengers could ride the Jubilee bus to go to Jubilee Ice Cream, err...BDI. Added service to Churchill Dr. Park.

Result is better connections to Osborne St. from Pembina Hwy. in the Beaumont neighbourhood of Ft. Garry. If you needed to go to St. Vital, from the Beaumont area, there would be no need to travel back to Main @ Stradbrook, as you could catch a southbound 16 Osborne or 58 Dakota Express from Osborne @ Jubilee.

Result is improved on time performance and less complexity. The portion of the 95 covering the Red in Yellow highlight is Deleted. The "new" portion would go all the way down Jubilee, AND also (if possible) serve Churchill Dr., then go back up north to continue as the route is now. Service to Riverview Health is maintained.

Winnipeg Transit - Route 95 - Tuxedo - Riverview - Mozilla Firefox_869.png

• Like 1