Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

Am I remembering correctly that this year's electrics were dependent on Federal grant money?

Would that be a separate grant or this big one?

I can’t remember exactly but we are supposed to be getting 16 ZEB’s soon - 8 battery electric and 8 hydrogen fuel cells, meant as tests to determine what should be ordered for the 100 electric buses. Maybe now the federal money has come through, that will happen within the next 12 months.

That being said, funding was approved many months ago for 20 new artic’s this year, but I haven’t seen any word on them in quite some time. I know they’re retiring the old ones from Ottawa slowly, so we’ll need those new ones soon to replace the ones that have been scrapped.

26 minutes ago, jhood135 said:

I can’t remember exactly but we are supposed to be getting 16 ZEB’s soon - 8 battery electric and 8 hydrogen fuel cells, meant as tests to determine what should be ordered for the 100 electric buses. Maybe now the federal money has come through, that will happen within the next 12 months.

That being said, funding was approved many months ago for 20 new artic’s this year, but I haven’t seen any word on them in quite some time. I know they’re retiring the old ones from Ottawa slowly, so we’ll need those new ones soon to replace the ones that have been scrapped.

Right now only 6 (at most) of the Ottawa D60LF's are still active. Hopefully new artic's will show up soon, but it's not looking like it.

I'm in Winnipeg for the next few days. Today was a bit warm but I did manage to record a few bus rides this afternoon.

Is there a way to track buses bybtheir fleet numbers, like on Transit55 or TCOMM-bustrainferry? I did find transsee but it's incredibly clunky and is only really helpful to see which buses are coming to your closest stop.

I'm hoping to track down some of the 1995 D40LFs and the ex. OC Transpo artics tomorrow, and any remaining D30LFs.

55 minutes ago, SidneyTransitfan said:

I'm in Winnipeg for the next few days. Today was a bit warm but I did manage to record a few bus rides this afternoon.

Is there a way to track buses bybtheir fleet numbers, like on Transit55 or TCOMM-bustrainferry? I did find transsee but it's incredibly clunky and is only really helpful to see which buses are coming to your closest stop.

I'm hoping to track down some of the 1995 D40LFs and the ex. OC Transpo artics tomorrow, and any remaining D30LFs.

You can try out my site and see what you think of it, and give feedback.
https://www.wtlivewpg.com/Pages/Tracker/

You can't type in a specific bus number and see where it is, and there's no way to have a live map of where all the buses are, but you can use the "Get All" feature to generate a list of buses. You can click on the run numbers (aka block IDs) beside the bus to get info about what that bus does throughout the day. Naturally you can also type in stop numbers, look up route maps, and stuff like that. You can also use filters too, so that it only shows certain types of buses. Here's a couple screenshots.
WTLive1.thumb.png.2a8106e34935f8f6317194bfb91be89d.png WTLive2.thumb.png.73999e1444c74a6d9f02715144ebe71c.png

Some hints would be that the 1995 D40LF's seem to only be used during AM rush hour (5:00 - 9:00) right now, and the D30LF's are pretty much only used on routes 87, 88, 91, 95, 96, 98, and the On-Request zones (the 88 being the only fixed-route to get them all day). The remaining OC Transpo D60LF's are mainly on the BLUE, and sometimes 36, 54, 59 and 60, during rush hour only.

29 minutes ago, wt_enthusiast_photos said:

Cause it’s been so hot. They don’t have A/c. It’s not as hot in the morning so they can use them 

Yep. just as I suspected. I remember they did the same with the Inveros a few years ago.

Also, the other LFs don't have A/C either. I wonder why they were out, perhaps they're not as hot?

17 minutes ago, matt548 said:

Also, the other LFs don't have A/C either. I wonder why they were out, perhaps they're not as hot?

The other LFs Winnipeg transit has have sliding windows which create more airflow the ex-Calgary transit LFs have windows that only tilt open on the top 

27 minutes ago, matt548 said:

Yep. just as I suspected. I remember they did the same with the Inveros a few years ago.

The other LF that don’t have A/C? None of our LF have A/C. Unless you mean the D60LF and they don’t have A/C and they work good. And there was a few out today 

54 minutes ago, matt548 said:

We probably don't have enough LFR's and Xcelsiors to run rush hour service without the LF's. Especially since Winnipeg's buses are always breaking down or crashing. During PM rush-hour, more than 440 buses are out there in service. Today there were around 446 buses out during PM rush-hour, 77 of which were LF's.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:26 PM, SidneyTransitfan said:

The new Winnipeg Transit app has the ability to put in a Fleet number and see where it is on the system.

With respect to the welcome infusion of new capital by the feds, it would absolutely not be a major surprise to see additional diesels come in first well before electric/hydrogen, and that's even after taking supply chain trends of long lead times/delay after delay after delay into account. The harsh reality is that there is a sizeable chunk of fleet that is either at/above the 20 year mark or will soon hit it by the time any new iron is delivered. Diesel infrastructure is well established already, whereas with electric/hydrogen, some portion of that capital is going to have to go towards putting charging infrastructure into place, whether it's at major terminals like R20 and the 4 demo electrics that had a charger put up at the airport, or working it into a complete replacement of NG if FRG/BG can't support it (or Hydro's grid in the immediate area is unable to), or some blend of the two. That brings its own set of risks of being held up along the way, and if Transit were to go start hitting more of the 500s over the head anyway like they have been with the Ottawa D60LFs, they'll have major problems. The D30LFs for ORT and the low-ridership fixed routes in particular are quite the liability as well.

The easy way out of that would be one or two additional round of diesels. One round being the XD60s that were supposed to come in to replace the Ottawa D60LFs that they've already started hitting over the head despite just 1 batch of XD60s having come in and put to work even before BLUE. The other being another set of XD40s to ensure there's no immediate capacity shortfall while all the details of implementing ZEBs are worked out, to allow for retirements of the 500s with minimal operational disruption.

Believe me, it is important with this capital infusion that the ball should get rolling on ZEBs, though it's going to take a considerable amount of time. And just like a real snowball, it'll be pretty small at first until it gets bigger and bigger and bigger. Because eventually, whether it be through a federal mandate banning them by a certain model year or manufacturers giving up on them because of a lack of interest (or mandates in other areas), getting a diesel will be damn near if not impossible.

• Like 1

The most exciting pet of the announcement was the $20M for the required infrastructure to modernize the route network. Electric buses are a nice to have, but let’s solve our core problems first (Winnipeg Transit Master Plan - route network, all door boarding, prepaid fares (at stations or on mobile), etc.). Then let’s talk about electrification.

Just my opinion, but I am heavily involved in the design/manufacture process of electric vehicles (and love it), but WT is still at least 3-5 years away from justifying them. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Viafreak said:

I wonder why Transit doesn't have as many ads inside the buses these days. When I started riding transit back in 2011, there were a lot more ads inside the buses. Nowadays, you just see the occasional PSA.

I've noticed the same trend in Edmonton as well as a handful of agencies I have visited over the past year. My best guess is in the day and age where most people riding buses are staring at phones etc. rather than looking around, advertising companies might be responding by directing more money at online advertising rather than the more-traditional means. That and with ridership still recovering from the pandemic, not as many people are on transit vehicles to see the ads anyway.

On 7/25/2022 at 2:32 AM, cslusarc said:

I personally think if Winnipeg Transit needs some Zero Emission Busses, it should look coverting the busiest 10% of its route network to trolley busses.

Given Winnipeg's climate, that would certainly make sense, using trolleybuses with small batteries and the concept of In Motion Charging. It would mean only 50% of routes would need wiring and using mains electrification would avoid the winter range problems that pure battery buses have been facing elsewhere, e.g. in Boston where on the coldest winter days the daily range of the trial BEBs dropped to 50%.

26 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Good riddance to SB Pembina/Kelsey, but I dunno about EB Portage/Lake. They ought to get rid of EB Portage/Olive that's for sure.

Lake is one I’ve seen used a few times, but it’s in the right-turn lane from EB Portage to SB Moray, which is problematic because a stopped bus could block right-turn traffic. There’s a stop a block back (at Windham) that’s less than 200 meters away. I don’t know why the Olive stop still exists either.