Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

On 10/9/2021 at 8:33 PM, MMP15 said:

Has anyone heard any updates on the timeline for implementation of the short term route network of the winnipeg transit master plan?

The province is currently refusing to send the request for funding on to the Federal Government. Probably because it requires a financial commitment from the province. But those funds from the Feds expire on Dec 31 I believe so they better get moving on it. Bowman has apparently brought it up with the Premier more than once.

Two of the Graham Transit Mall stations (or "stations") need new names.  

MTS Place "Station" had already changed to BellMTS Place but now BellMTS is no longer the arena's corporate sponsor so it needs a new name again. I think they should get off the sponsorship merry-go-round and pick a new one. Maybe Arena ? I'd go further and rename it Millennium Library

The other one is of course Bay. It might be wiser to wait and see if anything becomes of the closed department store. Right now the only name I've come up with is Vaughan.

What do others think? Are there better choices?

1 minute ago, DavidW said:

MTS Place "Station" had already changed to BellMTS Place but now BellMTS is no longer the arena's corporate sponsor so ot needs a new name again. I think they should get off the sponsorship merry-go-round and pick a new one. Maybe Arena ? I'd go further and rename it Millennium Library

The other one is of course Bay. It might be wiser to wait and see if anything becomes of the closed department store. Right now the only name I've come up with is Vaughan.

I would agree with the Library one but for most people in Winnipeg that building will always be known is the bay and I think they should keep the name unless they wanted rename Vaughan street or something 

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

MTS Place "Station" had already changed to BellMTS Place but now BellMTS is no longer the arena's corporate sponsor so it needs a new name again. I think they should get off the sponsorship merry-go-round and pick a new one. Maybe Arena ? I'd go further and rename it Millennium Library.

Interestingly, the website has the stops renamed to "Donald (Canada Life Centre)," but the announcements on the bus still say "Bell MTS Place" (or at least they did on Monday). The signs at the stops on Portage at Donald still say "MTS CENTRE," as well. I agree that the stop on Graham at Smith in particular should have "Millennium Library" added to its name (right now, it's just "Smith," despite the sign saying "BELL MTS PLACE").

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

Until and unless something moves into there, "Vaughan" (for stop 10580 on Portage and stop 10619 on Graham) and "Graham" (for stops 10134 and 10704 on Vaughan) should suffice.

4 hours ago, DavidW said:

MTS Place "Station" had already changed to BellMTS Place but now BellMTS is no longer the arena's corporate sponsor so it needs a new name again. I think they should get off the sponsorship merry-go-round and pick a new one. Maybe Arena ? I'd go further and rename it Millennium Library

Having gone down Graham this afternoon on the Blue, the stop names could be different. I agree with the first one but maybe not the second one. The person that Vaughan Street is named after was a member of the Wolseley Expedition - which is controversial. It would be better to leave it as is due to the famous Bay building. Those poor bus stops at the corners of Graham/Donald and Portage/Donald have already had three name changes over the last twenty years. I can't think of any other stop in the entire city that has had so many name changes. For Portage/Donald, I would suggest Portage/Donald.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, armorand said:

Curious... what is the 47 ridership like, since it got extended to the U of M?

The 47 Transcona hasn't changed much; it still gets a lot of passengers (certainly enough to warrant an articulated bus). The 47 Pembina doesn't get nearly as many passengers. The 60 tends to have more passengers than the 47 Pembina from what I've seen. Probably because the 60 goes along Graham, whereas the 47 just goes straight up Main.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:11 PM, bus is coming 1965 said:

371 on the 47 I got yesterday on the transitway just about to enter stadium station 

92E5DEE9-9B80-4C37-A094-3C5722C431E8.thumb.jpeg.a4b52c8d5f29b29cb01a3953cd433b26.jpeg

That is a first. Its not the first 60-foot to serve the northeast corner of the city. I once saw a D60LF going down Henderson. I assume it was the 11 Glenway as the other 11's have a lot of turns. When is Transit going to remove the Blue wraps from the XD60's?

14 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

That is a first. Its not the first 60-foot to serve the northeast corner of the city. I once saw a D60LF going down Henderson. I assume it was the 11 Glenway as the other 11's have a lot of turns. When is Transit going to remove the Blue wraps from the XD60's?

It's possible that bus (the 47 with 371) started downtown, as it was just going to IG Field. One time I rode a 41 North Kildonan on 391.
659241938_41NorthKildonan.thumb.jpg.08ac90308e29731c67ee326021c961fa.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viafreak said:

More likely never remove it. As far as I know 

20 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

It's possible that bus (the 47 with 371) started downtown, as it was just going to IG Field. One time I rode a 41 North Kildonan on 391.
659241938_41NorthKildonan.thumb.jpg.08ac90308e29731c67ee326021c961fa.jpg

Probably had something to do with the run as the 59 often gets a 60-footer. This afternoon 387 got stuck at Osborne Station causing some severe delays including for my bus. I couldn't wait and caught a bus going to downtown via Osborne instead.

Tonight, every single BLUE has a 40-foot bus. Has that ever happened before? I know it's common for some 40-footers to appear on the BLUE, even at night, but every single bus?

2 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Probably had something to do with the run as the 59 often gets a 60-footer.

This was also during the 2020 reduced schedule, when all kinds of weird stuff was happening (like D30LF's on the 41, 60-foot buses on the 30 and 41, and more probably).

• Like 1