Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

At this moment, I do not know of any plans for Bomber service. But seeing as vacs are increasing, and restrictions are loosening, I wouldn't be too surprised if plans come up soon. As said above, there would probably be the usual X60, X74, X75 and X78, plus the X47, and probably extra BLUE University buses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a reroute for the outbound BLUE U. of Manitoba coming up soon, because of (even more) construction on University Crescent. In the document detailing the reroute, it mentions "during Event days at Stadium Station there may be modifications to this re-route". This is the first time I've heard of anything relating to IGF events, though I don't know of any other details.

If you're curious about the reroute itself, it'll be EB Southpark, SB Pembina, EB Chancellor Matheson, SB Research, EB Innovation/Dafoe to regular route, starting July 23rd, ending in September.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trebor204 said:

I notice that riding in Southdale, the Dart service is going replace by 'WT On Request", It looks like going to App based service

Looking at the website, I see nothing about that changeover, but seeing as WT hardly even acknowledges that the DARTs exist, I’m not surprised by that. Did you see when the new service will start?

2 hours ago, trebor204 said:

I notice that riding in Southdale, the Dart service is going replace by 'WT On Request", It looks like going to App based service

As far as I know, the 102 will still be serving Southdale this upcoming Fall schedule (run cards include the 102 in them). Are there signs saying that this change will be happening?

1 hour ago, Chris W said:

What will they be using on this On Request service? Will it be cutaways like in Edmonton or vans like in Niagara Region?

Probably D30LF's, just like regular DART's (this pretty much is DART, but modernized a little). Although recently for some reason, the DART's generally haven't been getting D30LF's.

3 hours ago, trebor204 said:

I was on the bus and couldn't  make out the signs

It had 'WR On Request' with a picture of a smart phone.

Maybe I'll try checking things out tomorrow.

Winnipeg Transit is piloting the new On Request service discussed in the Master Plan this year. I think they’re doing this on all the DART routes but I’m not sure. It’s been discussed at committee quite a few times over the past few months.

Essentially, the app will ask where you want to go and when, and will tell you when to be at the stop for an On Request bus to pick you up. The bus driver will have an iPad that calculates the route in real time with the requests made by the app. If someone in between makes a request while the bus is travelling, the iPad can update the route to pick up that passenger if possible. This is a big update from what Transit says drivers are currently doing, which is using paper maps.

What I’m not 100% on is where you can go with On Demand. If you’re going to a hub spot in the On Request zone, like a mall, then the bus will take you there. But if you’re travelling outside of the On Request zone, the bus will take you to a Transit Hub where you can connect with regular fixed-route service. I’m not sure how much this differs from DART but it definitely seems more user friendly, as well as more convenient for the bus drivers. I could see ridership going up on these routes if they play their cards right.

Here's what these signs look like.

WTRequest.thumb.jpg.4918d0657c09dfd57311df2679565e70.jpg

Basically it sounds like DART service will continue as normal, except instead of phoning-in and telling the driver where to go, you tell the app where to go. Then the drivers tablet will tell them where to go.

At the time of writing this post, the WT On-Request page does exist, but is essentially blank.

The details about the On-Request pilot project are finally available. As expected, it will operate in all three of the current DART zones. The app will be made available on Friday. Notably, the website says that “bookings are required before using the On-Request service to ensure there is enough room for everyone.” I wonder whether that means the 101 and 102 won’t observe their terminals anymore (the 110 doesn’t anyway). Full details can be found here.

1 hour ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I wonder whether that means the 101 and 102 won’t observe their terminals anymore (the 110 doesn’t anyway).

I would hope you can still transfer from a 16 to a 101 or 102 without reservation. The current cards for Fall 2021 for the 101 and 102 do say to meet the 16.

49 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

931 will have a promotional wrap for ORT too.

I thought I saw a wrapped D30LF at FRG while I was on the 16 today. That must've been it.