Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

9 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

When I saw it, it looked like it had students on it. Even though no S4xx school charters go down there, and is not signed as a school charter, I think it is school-related. Same with the 50-80. Regardless, MMP15 and I have both seen the 96-80 in the same location at the same time (twice for me), so it's obviously running on a schedule. Also, why would some random charter have a 50-80 or 96-80 run card?

Would anyone possibly have access to the 50-80 or 96-80 run card pdf files? Are there similar ones around the city like this. I agree, the bus was for students and therefore am surprised that the header didn't say school charter. However I suppose "chartered" busses do not require public disclosure (like if they're chartered for a one time event), however school charters do. Perhaps WT is using this as a loophole.

Also if these routes were made public, and riders did use the single midday trip home (this could be tracked using the bus's peggo data) this could make a case to run trips of routes like the 50/96 once every hour or two. Not the same frequency as rush hour, just a few midday runs. If Royalwood had midday 90 minute service, at least then it could be feasible to consider public transit as a real option. If I lived in these community right now, I would not be satisfied with only being able to go home at rush hour.

Otherwise, without trial runs like this providing test data, what would ever be the basis to increase transit service in neighbourhoods like this? You can't expect riders to flock to transit, if the current transit service is awful. Yes I realize the TMP could address this, however I envision the city whining that they can't implement the short term plan for another 5-10 years because the province hasn't given them enough Transit funding. Remember when Bowman promised to complete all the rapid transit corridors? That didn't happen.

54 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

However I suppose "chartered" busses do not require public disclosure (like if they're chartered for a one time event), however school charters do. Perhaps WT is using this as a loophole.

There are public buses right now that are not disclosed, such as the 22-9x buses.

Was riding Route Blue (internally 100) this afternoon around 4:30 which is part of my normal commute. However, this afternoon's bus was a XD40 instead of the normal XD60. I have been riding the same run for the last five weeks but this is a first for me. I also have never seen a Blue bus as a XD40. And yet, the 60 still gets XD60/D60LF buses exclusively. 

4 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Was riding Route Blue (internally 100) this afternoon around 4:30 which is part of my normal commute. However, this afternoon's bus was a XD40 instead of the normal XD60. I have been riding the same run for the last five weeks but this is a first for me. I also have never seen a Blue bus as a XD40. And yet, the 60 still gets XD60/D60LF buses exclusively. 

It happens once in awhile. Usually because of a tradeoff. Looks like 988 had to be traded out with 838 on the 100-13.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Bowman wants Winnipeggers to go back to using Transit for essential trips only. https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/essential-trips-only-mayor-urges-winnipeg-transit-users-to-stay-home-1.5198231

There’s a schedule change coming up in three weeks that we still don’t know anything about. I hope that with these latest developments, WT won’t go back to the enhanced Saturday schedule and the inadequate service that it provided.

12 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

It was bad enough they experimented with it once, it would be worse if they did it a second time, after it already failed. Also, they can't take our human right of freedom away.

A factor to why they took a long time to go back to regular from reduced last time is the lack of drivers due to large scale layoffs, if we were going back to reduced I’d expect them to be more aligned with the province’s measures since there’s already a plan in place for different scenarios, not like see as we go type of deal. 

Also with school winter breaks potentially being extended into January it’s likely that ridership will drop significantly for that period of time which is also a signal transit may need to go to reduced service for that period of time. Schools are a big part of ridership right now and they will need more buses then regular service alone even if some buses are running empty, for example one time there was around 50 students getting off school at Glenlawn collegiate and jammed up a regular service 14 to sardines, and then a few days later they sent a fill to mitigate the problem. 

29 minutes ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

Schools are a big part of ridership right now and they will need more buses then regular service alone even if some buses are running empty, for example one time there was around 50 students getting off school at Glenlawn collegiate and jammed up a regular service 14 to sardines, and then a few days later they sent a fill to mitigate the problem. 

It’s a similar story on the 24. The last few times I’ve been on that route (riding inbound over the last quarter of the 3 PM hour, on an essential trip), at École Ness, the bus has gone from near-empty to standing room only. Just at that one stop (20168 EB Ness at Muriel). Add on any stragglers from Collège Sturgeon Heights Collegiate and any industrial workers switching from the 83 and it’s sometimes sardines at Moray.

What's really BS is that the province told Canad Inns that they couldn't run that drive-thru Christmas light show at the Ex grounds yet they're totally fine with letting Transit run as-is. Pardon my French, but I have a very hard time believing those lying sacks of shit at the provincial government saying it's all a-okay to have people from totally different households in a 40 or 60 ft box when the reality on the ground reveals that Transit keeps getting hit and then listed on the exposures list of theirs damn near constantly now. As DJ Khaled would say, another one. Another one. Another one.

As it stands I've used my November pass a grand total of twice, once for lunch towards an A&W, and twice on the way back from it. If things keep going the way they are I'm not even gonna bother with a December pass.

On 11/22/2020 at 6:56 PM, ConnorsCompShow said:

What's really BS is that the province told Canad Inns that they couldn't run that drive-thru Christmas light show at the Ex grounds yet they're totally fine with letting Transit run as-is. Pardon my French, but I have a very hard time believing those lying sacks of shit at the provincial government saying it's all a-okay to have people from totally different households in a 40 or 60 ft box when the reality on the ground reveals that Transit keeps getting hit and then listed on the exposures list of theirs damn near constantly now. As DJ Khaled would say, another one. Another one. Another one.

As it stands I've used my November pass a grand total of twice, once for lunch towards an A&W, and twice on the way back from it. If things keep going the way they are I'm not even gonna bother with a December pass.

Well, you're right lol - Pallister IS a lying sack of shit. And quite the potstirring, ham-handed premier as well... the way he's going, theres going to be riots in the streets in a matter of no time. All of those people out of work, or on strike, no Xmas or anything either - did he honestly ever read up on the Winnipeg general strike? Or maybe Ceaucescu of 1989s Romania? He hasn't a clue what he's creating in Manitoba and its kind of scary. Read up on the General Strike or Ceaucescu when you have time, you'd be amazed and scared by the parallels of him and Pallister.

And agreed, CanadInns really dropped the ball on this one too. Hate to go so much off-topic, but Manitoba is getting worse by the year & empowerment of these idiots to the point of acheiving complete irrelevance and obsolescence of Manitoba in the 21st Century. Its saddening. And as transit enthusiasts, we've been able to see just from transit service cutbacks, inaction and lack of (proper)  investment alone, the consequences of decades of Winnipeg and Manitoba politicians completely wrecking things for their own thinly-veiled personal interests & business concerns. Its ridiculous. And I totally share your sympathy, my friend.

• Like 1

Just one person's example but my transit ridership between 2019 (pre-pandemic) and 2020 (during pandemic).  "CWTS" is "City of Winnipeg Transit System," Winnipeg Transit's formal name. I last bought a period pass (28-day) in March 2020, which I did not get value for.  Since then I've used the eCash.

2019 versus 2020:

2019 January       63 CWTS buses
2019 February      70 CWTS buses
2019 March          90 CWTS buses
2019 April              99 CWTS buses
2019 May               98 CWTS buses
2019 June              97 CWTS buses
2019 July             108 CWTS buses
2019 August        106 CWTS buses
2019 September 102 CWTS buses
2019 October        99 CWTS buses
2019 November  105 CWTS buses, 1 taxi
2019 December    79 CWTS buses

(2019 total: 1,116 buses + 1 taxi)

2020 January      70 CWTS buses
2020 February     86 CWTS buses
2020 March         52 CWTS buses
2020 April              7 CWTS buses
2020 May             25 CWTS buses
2020 June            25 CWTS buses, 1 taxi
2020 July              35 CWTS buses, 1 taxi
2020 August           9 CWTS buses, 2 taxis
2020 September  34 CWTS buses, 4 taxis
2020 October        29 CWTS buses, 2 taxis
2020 November   10 CWTS buses, 1 taxi

(2020 [11 months] total: 382 buses + 11 taxis)

On 11/30/2020 at 2:44 PM, DavidW said:

Just one person's example but my transit ridership between 2019 (pre-pandemic) and 2020 (during pandemic).  "CWTS" is "City of Winnipeg Transit System," Winnipeg Transit's formal name. I last bought a period pass (28-day) in March 2020, which I did not get value for.  Since then I've used the eCash.

2019 versus 2020:

2019 January       63 CWTS buses
2019 February      70 CWTS buses
2019 March          90 CWTS buses
2019 April              99 CWTS buses
2019 May               98 CWTS buses
2019 June              97 CWTS buses
2019 July             108 CWTS buses
2019 August        106 CWTS buses
2019 September 102 CWTS buses
2019 October        99 CWTS buses
2019 November  105 CWTS buses, 1 taxi
2019 December    79 CWTS buses

(2019 total: 1,116 buses + 1 taxi)

2020 January      70 CWTS buses
2020 February     86 CWTS buses
2020 March         52 CWTS buses
2020 April              7 CWTS buses
2020 May             25 CWTS buses
2020 June            25 CWTS buses, 1 taxi
2020 July              35 CWTS buses, 1 taxi
2020 August           9 CWTS buses, 2 taxis
2020 September  34 CWTS buses, 4 taxis
2020 October        29 CWTS buses, 2 taxis
2020 November   10 CWTS buses, 1 taxi

(2020 [11 months] total: 382 buses + 11 taxis)

At $102.05 for a monthly pass vs. $3.00 cash fare, I calculate the break-even point at $102.05/$3.00 = 34 trips/month. Does Peggo allow you to track your usage and download the data to a spreadsheet like Ontario's Presto card?

1 hour ago, Mark Walton said:

At $102.05 for a monthly pass vs. $3.00 cash fare, I calculate the break-even point at $102.05/$3.00 = 34 trips/month. Does Peggo allow you to track your usage and download the data to a spreadsheet like Ontario's Presto card?

Peggo data (in .csv and .pdf format) can be downloaded from WT’s website, though if you use the e-cash option, transfers aren’t listed (for example, if I boarded a 66, scanned my card and it deducted the $2.65, rode it to Unicity and switched to an 83 within 75 minutes, only the 66 would be listed on the data file).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

Well, if you work 5 days a week, at 2 trips per day (to work, then to home), that would be around 40 - 50 trips per month. If you do shopping, go out, or just ride around on the weekends, that would increase it.

• Like 1

Right now it seems as if winnipeg transit is waiting to release the schedule until they get word from the province whether the rest of December will be red or orange. Why not release both potential schedules so the public can be prepared for both scenarios? I would hope that they keep the current level of service, but if they go to reduced service again, hopefully it is more refined than just a Saturday schedule with added express buses that never actually express (except BLUE). 

At the end of the day, transit should be an essential service, not a cash-grab. They must stick with full service, something comparable to the Winter 2019 schedule (modified for the changes to the southwest system of course), regardless of what the media and Pallister thinks. Besides, if we're supposed to still be "social distancing" or whatever, wouldn't a reduced schedule make that harder?

7 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

At the end of the day, transit should be an essential service, not a cash-grab. They must stick with full service, something comparable to the Winter 2019 schedule (modified for the changes to the southwest system of course), regardless of what the media and Pallister thinks. Besides, if we're supposed to still be "social distancing" or whatever, wouldn't a reduced schedule make that harder?

I agree, but at the end of the day they're going to do whatever they want. The only reason we have almost normal service now is because the federal government gave Winnipeg $40M for transit. Without that we may have still been under reduced service. What I'm saying is that it would be nice if all potential schedules were made public, with as much notice as possible. Riders should be as aware as possible about future planning. This is NOT evident with the winter snow plan which could have been the basis for reduced service if needed, however it was not updated then the SW transit network was changed.

I think the Blue Winter Snow Plan, even if it was updated for Phase 2 (or other unrelated route changes), would've been overkill. It's meant for situations where residential streets may become undrivable. Cutting off service into those areas for something other than the weather seems unreasonable.

10 hours ago, MMP15 said:

Right now it seems as if winnipeg transit is waiting to release the schedule until they get word from the province whether the rest of December will be red or orange. Why not release both potential schedules so the public can be prepared for both scenarios? I would hope that they keep the current level of service, but if they go to reduced service again, hopefully it is more refined than just a Saturday schedule with added express buses that never actually express (except BLUE). 

The current Code Red restrictions are set to expire December 11th - two days before the change - but Pallister is expecting that they’ll be extended. As for the schedule, I actually inquired with WT about it the other day and they said that the schedule would be released within the next week. As well, since they went to enhanced Saturday service and back to regular service, the hit list was implemented, so I hope they don’t go back to enhanced Saturday service, ‘cause I take the 83 to get to a student-teaching placement on Tuesday mornings and now, it doesn’t run until 11 AM - three and a half hours after I would need it - on Saturdays.