Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

5 hours ago, LilZebra said:

But the electric trial is OVER, so moot. I thought they'd demolish those 3 buses by now.

994 and 998 are also still around. Here are some shots from Kernaghan Avenue (outside the NFL plant in Transcona) from June 6th. It looks like 997 has got a dealer plate on it.

20200606_152606.jpg

20200606_152609.jpg

• Like 1

So apparently Winnipeg Transit's answer to the question "When will regular service be resumed?" is "The Provincial health officer policy is that taking transit is for essential travel only."

So essentially Winnipeg Transit claims their hands are tied by the province's medical officials.

It makes no sense, but it's City of Winnipeg's tradition to deflect responsibility...

• Thanks 1

WT will be resuming regular service on August 4th. According to the release, “[a]s recommended by Manitoba Health, the City is welcoming all passengers to once again use Winnipeg Transit, and is also recommending the use of non-medical face masks while riding the bus or using Transit Plus.” I, for one, think this move is overdue, but as they say, “better late than never.” https://winnipegtransit.com/en/rider-guide/news/

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

Curious to see if BLUE st Norbert busses will be 1:1 with u of m busses during rush hour (or 2:1). Seeing as u of m is largely vacant for the foreseeable future, there is more demand for st Norbert than u of m

If I recall correctly, during the spring change, it was 1:1 at rush hour, but 2 U of Ms for every St. Norbert during the mid-day (9 AM to 3 PM period), which is itself unnecessary when classes aren’t in session. During the spring and summer changes pre-Phase 2, the ratio on the 162 during the late morning was 1:1 whereas it was 2 or 3 U of Ms per St. Norbert during the fall and winter changes.

Given that the UofM Fort Garry campus is not expected to fully reopen until January 2021 [at the earliest] there's probably a case to be made for summer-level service on UofM routes for the rest of 2020. 

That might especially affect BLUE (UofM branch), 36, 74, 75, 78, and maybe 60 and 47. 

I feel bad for Winnipeg Transit. After struggling for more than 40 years to build its first rapid transit line, the destination of that line more-or-less shuts down for nearly the line's whole first year of operation. 

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, DavidW said:

Given that the UofM Fort Garry campus is not expected to fully reopen until January 2021 [at the earliest] there's probably a case to be made for summer-level service on UofM routes for the rest of 2020. 

That might especially affect BLUE (UofM branch), 36, 74, 75, 78, and maybe 60 and 47. 

I feel bad for Winnipeg Transit. After struggling for more than 40 years to build its first rapid transit line, the destination of that line more-or-less shuts down for nearly the line's whole first year of operation. 

Would that lead to BLUE and 60 not having 60-foot buses? With the UofM campuses probably not operating (no pun intended for the Bannatyne campus) for the foreseeable future, would Transit shorten the 36? The 36 runs between the two campuses and the Maples via Maryland/Sherbrook.

45 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

Would that lead to BLUE and 60 not having 60-foot buses? With the UofM campuses probably not operating (no pun intended for the Bannatyne campus) for the foreseeable future, would Transit shorten the 36? The 36 runs between the two campuses and the Maples via Maryland/Sherbrook.

I think demand for BLUE still remains, especially to st Norbert in rush hour (some 60ft busses have been standing room only, even back in phase 1 reopening). However stubborn Wpg Transit will probably refuse to modify the initial BLUE schedule, send way too many busses to u of m, and then call it a failure, threatening future rapid lines. 

The 36 could probably remain at summer schedule rush hour only, plus 1 bus every 75-90 minutes. 29 then BLUE/47/60 still runs all day. Another interesting idea would be to run the 36 on a full schedule, but have it terminate at Beaumont Stn for the time being (like an express 29 basically).

If I recall correctly the daytime short trips of route 36 between the Bannatyne and Fort Garry campuses of The University of Manitoba are subsidized by the UofM.  If the UofM has most of the Fort Garry campus shut down they may not want to pay for bus service there.

I think the subsidy agreement was a set hourly charge minus fare revenue, so packed buses cost the UofM very little. Half empty buses increases the cost substantially.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DavidW said:

If I recall correctly the daytime short trips of route 36 between the Bannatyne and Fort Garry campuses of The University of Manitoba are subsidized by the UofM.  If the UofM has most of the Fort Garry campus shut down they may not want to pay for bus service there.

I think the subsidy agreement was a set hourly charge minus fare revenue, so packed buses cost the UofM very little. Half empty buses increases the cost substantially.

So basically the 36 is funded much the same way that the 39 was funded.

Wpg Transits reintroduction of a “full summer schedule” isn’t as full as I remember it... Blue’s frequency is 6min in rush hour, 10min midday, 1:1 uofm:st norbert. Blue was promoted as having 6min midday service. Still a step forward though. 

1 hour ago, MMP15 said:

Wpg Transits reintroduction of a “full summer schedule” isn’t as full as I remember it... Blue’s frequency is 6min in rush hour, 10min midday, 1:1 uofm:st norbert. Blue was promoted as having 6min midday service. Still a big step forward though. 

Nope it isn’t the 22 end at 553 and they send the last 3 21 past the grace this is new 

Today, upon returning from the Walmart in Assiniboia, on the 66, two senior citizen  passengers were talking about the new schedules.They said right now the 66 and the 98 usually show up together.They were both aware of the new schedules, effective August 2.

3 hours ago, MMP15 said:

Wpg Transits reintroduction of a “full summer schedule” isn’t as full as I remember it... Blue’s frequency is 6min in rush hour, 10min midday, 1:1 uofm:st norbert. Blue was promoted as having 6min midday service. Still a step forward though. 

What I wouldn’t call a “step forward” is that they’re separating the 82 and the 98. Now the 82 will run every 40 minutes all day, but the 98 will run every 70 minutes outside of rush hour (30 minutes at rush hour). When the two interlined, the headway on both routes was 55 minutes - unacceptable, but not as bad as 70 minutes.

5 hours ago, MMP15 said:

If I remember correctly, the routes serving the UofM/UofW don't get as many buses during the summer schedule (due to the lack of classes) according how it was run in the past. We still haven't seen full Blue (100 on the run cards) service as the line opened a month after everything was curtailed. Also Blue - like every other route in the city - has been running on a Saturday schedule since the beginning of April.

3 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

If I remember correctly, the routes serving the UofM/UofW don't get as many buses during the summer schedule (due to the lack of classes) according how it was run in the past. We still haven't seen full Blue (100 on the run cards) service as the line opened a month after everything was curtailed. Also Blue - like every other route in the city - has been running on a Saturday schedule since the beginning of April.

BLUEs pre-reduction schedule had more busses than this. (That schedule came out after u of m classes ended)