Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

5 hours ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

?‍♂️

I wish Transit was allowed to have a bit more autonomy much like the Winnipeg Public Library. As it is, their online support is essentially a rebranded 311, and you get responses that totally miss the point like that one.

Screenshot_20200402-100013~2.png

This is Winnipeg, not Vancouver, or San Jose, or Europe/Asia. "Distancing" is not needed here.

• Confused 2

As much as it may seem like a little deal comparatively to people with a clean bill of health, the reality of the growing pile of bodies globally paints a much different picture: old people with or without clean bills of health, young people without clean bills of health, or maybe a random Joe that got really unlucky or didn't know they had contributing conditions. I hate it as much as the next person over but it is very much a sad necessity in these times. Let China's government foot the bill for the damage and major inconveniences to our budget and society at large afterwards.

It massively stinks that this is all happening when SWRT2/BLUE is about to launch, and it'd seem that the city is still intent on going full steam ahead with April 12th as planned. But you would think one of the insiders here would have spotted XD60s getting some BLUE promotional wraps by now. Kinda throws a wrench into the first-bus party too even though there's a fair bit of room on an XD60. There's supposed to be a vote on a declaration of a local state of emergency tomorrow at council, so maybe that might be the move that allows other significant moves to happen like delaying SWRT2's opening day or authorizing maintenance dollars to rewire back door switches to physically open on activation for rear-door boarding. Everything else so far has been a half-measure in all honesty.

15 minutes ago, A. Wong said:

You have to be pretty oblivious and selfish to call this a "fake disease".

Stay informed: https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/index.html

And please, stay home.

100% agree with you. 

Prior to this virus, I ALWAYS took the bus, whether it was a joyride, or to get groceries, go to work, see friends, etc. 

Now ever since this virus has happened, I have caught the bus maybe 3 times in the past month. Walking is much safer if you live close enough to everything which I do. 

Since March 14th I've ridden the bus exactly once, and it was an XD60 at 8pm which carried me and three other people. We were well spread out in the bus. I boarded, sat, and exited with my hands firmly in my pockets so I wouldn't touch my face, or any hand-holds.

In some other cities March monthly passes were extended to include April at no extra charge. I certainly didn't get value for the 28-day pass I bought March 2nd, and I won't be buying another period-pass for a while yet. Maybe I'll put some ecash on my peggo for emergencies.

Note that Windsor, Ontario, has suspended all transit service indefinitely. Their mayor said if he was telling people no to touch playground structures he also had to stop people from touching bus interiors... 

11 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

I'm not staying home because of a fake disease.

I agree with you. I firmly believe what President Trump says that this whole Wuhan Coronavirus "pandemic" is squarely due to China and US Democrats interfering in the 2020 US election to unseat Trump.

If you take reasonable precautiions such as handwashing,  taking Oil of Oregano first sign of scratchy throat, etc...

No need to literally shut down most of this planet Earth in order to stop or slow down Wuhan-originated virus.

It comes down to accusing China and US Demoratic Party of a Communist takeover. Is this the New World Order or the Bible's Revelations come true? I'm not 100% sure yet.

When I got the 1968 Hong Kong flu at age 2 1/2 in November 1968 my parents didn't take me to no Hospital. No, they looked after me at home. For one night I was really really sick. Diarrhea, etc... But I didn't die. I'm still here.

But yeah, no gov't is gonna tell me to "Stay in place". Apart from groceries, I just gotta get out. You can't tell LilZebra (my soul name means "Youthful individuality") what to do. If it comes down to getting shot and killed over it, then so be it. Rather leave this sorry world to the others to deal with.

At this point, after waiting 39 years for rapid transit to form here and be left with one half-assed Bus Rapi Transit line. At this point I don't give a s**t.

12 hours ago, DavidW said:

Since March 14th I've ridden the bus exactly once, and it was an XD60 at 8pm which carried me and three other people. We were well spread out in the bus. I boarded, sat, and exited with my hands firmly in my pockets so I wouldn't touch my face, or any hand-holds.

I haven’t ridden a bus once since the 13th. It’s unfortunate that all this is happening so close to the Phase 2 opening, but if I have to wait a few months or even a year to ride it, so be it. I’ve already passed on riding one of the newest buses on a route close to my house. Not riding it won’t kill me, but riding it and contracting the virus while out and about might.

The one time that I've been on a bus ever since a week after 3/11 occurred was on a 90 Whellams to Dairy Queen, and then right back. PM 90s to Whellams are almost always empty anyway. I haven't even bought an April monthly pass. (What's it look like by the way? I have a feeling it's just a standard seasonal image but if it's promoting BLUE then I might grab one anyway as a souvenir)

23 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

WT is considering moving to an enhanced Saturday schedule effective with the schedule change. https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/transit-changes-could-be-coming-to-winnipeg-1.4881495

Code for a Blue plan with modifications. Let's be honest, we don't need anybody crowding at major terminals unless its name is Unicity. But it's interesting that they say they'll go forward with it at the spring change. I still think it'd be a poor idea to go forward with the new routes on the 12th. Kick it down to mid-May (the Victoria Day long weekend would be good) and reassess in early May whether it's feasible depending on if we can actually contain and/or treat this thing.

Hey, they did pass that local state of emergency today, so now they're at least allowed to think about proper measures.

21 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

The one time that I've been on a bus ever since a week after 3/11 occurred was on a 90 Whellams to Dairy Queen, and then right back. PM 90s to Whellams are almost always empty anyway. I haven't even bought an April monthly pass. (What's it look like by the way? I have a feeling it's just a standard seasonal image but if it's promoting BLUE then I might grab one anyway as a souvenir)

Code for a Blue plan with modifications. Let's be honest, we don't need anybody crowding at major terminals unless its name is Unicity. But it's interesting that they say they'll go forward with it at the spring change. I still think it'd be a poor idea to go forward with the new routes on the 12th. Kick it down to mid-May (the Victoria Day long weekend would be good) and reassess in early May whether it's feasible depending on if we can actually contain and/or treat this thing.

Hey, they did pass that local state of emergency today, so now they're at least allowed to think about proper measures.

The work drivers can sign will not be operating out of north and all drivers will be forced to sign a letter group instead of the option of X off 

Aren’t there already more spare drivers than actual drivers? ‘Cause on 21-7 this change, there was an older gentleman who I saw every so often and one younger driver who did that work all of one week, but apart from that, there was a different driver almost every day.

Edited by SirAndrew710
This was at about 10:30 in the morning.

1 minute ago, SirAndrew710 said:

Aren’t there already more spare drivers than actual drivers? ‘Cause on 21-7 this change, there was an older gentleman who I saw every so often and one younger driver who did that work all of one week, but apart from that, there was a different driver almost every day.

Could be holidays could be some one who is on sick leave and they give the work everyday to someone who is booked ahead 

If they’re booked ahead, that explains why one driver would make sporadic appearances throughout. Are there many pieces (if any at all) that go unsigned? Because this isn’t the only time I’ve noticed different drivers doing the same work pretty much every day.

Just now, SirAndrew710 said:

If they’re booked ahead, that explains why one driver would make sporadic appearances throughout. Are there many pieces (if any at all) that go unsigned? Because this isn’t the only time I’ve noticed different drivers doing the same work pretty much every day.

Ya there’s pieces of work that don’t get signed then they end up on the spare board