Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

43 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

Okay boomer ?

Actually I'm from Generation X. Born on Manitoba Provincial Election Day (June 23, 1966). Duff Roblin's last term. I so much loved the music from the mid- late- 1960s.

Donovan's Sunshine Superman was in the Top40 in about June-July 1966. Also Frank Sinatra's Strangers in the Night. And The Beatles' Paperback Writer, but I much prefer the 'B' side of the 45 RPM single, Rain.

22 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

Actually I'm from Generation X. Born on Manitoba Provincial Election Day (June 23, 1966). Duff Roblin's last term. I so much loved the music from the mid- late- 1960s.

Donovan's Sunshine Superman was in the Top40 in about June-July 1966. Also Frank Sinatra's Strangers in the Night. And The Beatles' Paperback Writer, but I much prefer the 'B' side of the 45 RPM single, Rain.

I was just kidding, no worries haha.

In other news, new stop signage is now in st Norbert and on chancellor Matheson, in addition to the Windermere area. 

17 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

In other news, new stop signage is now in st Norbert and on chancellor Matheson, in addition to the Windermere area. 

I wonder what their plan for the new stop signage is. I know Grand Forks replaced every bus stop sign on both sides of the river last summer, though that was a much smaller undertaking than replacing every bus stop in Winnipeg would be.

1 minute ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I wonder what their plan for the new stop signage is. I know Grand Forks replaced every bus stop sign on both sides of the river last summer, though that was a much smaller undertaking than replacing every bus stop in Winnipeg would be.

None of the plastic “flagposts” have been replaced so far. Only the old style metal plate signs have been replaced. 

I'd be very surprised if any of the big stops get their signage replaced, just the numbers. But to my knowledge, none of them have had their numbers updated. Beaumont station doesn't have numbers (or letters, I guess) on the main signs either, but it does have stops specific for the 29, and the 641/677 put up.

Someone asked when DART began. I don't remember tht, but i know that Dial-a-Bus concept began in 197576 as there was a 1-year after report.

Winnipeg (Man.). 1976. Dial-a-Bus Demonstration Project: first year of operation. Winnipeg [Man.]: City of Winnipeg, Streets and Transportation Division.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/dial-a-bus-demonstration-project-first-year-of-operation/oclc/74811113&referer=brief_results

Thinking about the virus craziness and how other agencies have back door boarding these days, I could've sworn I heard somewhere that the vast majority of our buses with the exception of very new ones in the last two or three years lack the ability to have the operator manually prop open the back door. Am I remembering right and is that really true? It would explain why we haven't done so if true.

Even the ATU is campaigning for it and you'd think that if that was really the case then they'd know about it.

1 hour ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Thinking about the virus craziness and how other agencies have back door boarding these days, I could've sworn I heard somewhere that the vast majority of our buses with the exception of very new ones in the last two or three years lack the ability to have the operator manually prop open the back door. Am I remembering right and is that really true? It would explain why we haven't done so if true.

Even the ATU is campaigning for it and you'd think that if that was really the case then they'd know about it.

Back in the days of MCI Classics and D40s, someone apparently got caught between the doors after something happened with the McKay gate, and got dragged by a MOVING bus. In Edmonton, same thing happened, but that person didn't survive.

The back door mechanisms and locks on Winnipeg Transit were probably instituted and left that way, specifically because of that type of accident that occured. Granted its a few decades since it happened... but theres always that safety factor, of someone potentially geting caught in the back door, which is why Winnipeg Transit probably locked the back door access and prevented the bus from moving, until back doors cleared. 

That being said though... can't they just hand out N95's and enhance shields on the buses, to mitigate the issue?

38 minutes ago, Taylorover9001 said:

How would you pay, if you're not coming in the front?

Most other cities have foregone fare payment entirely. (Which poses issues of its own)

Does anyone know what the spring schedule change brings, other than the introduction of the BLUE line and 600s feeders replacing the 100s routes?

44 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

Most other cities have foregone fare payment entirely. (Which poses issues of its own)

Does anyone know what the spring schedule change brings, other than the introduction of the BLUE line and 600s feeders replacing the 100s routes?

I certainly wouldn't mind riding the first BLUE bus on April 12th for free. ?

The 23 Broadway-William, 29 to Beaumont, 47 Transcona-Pembina, 60 via Chancellor Matheson, 65/66 via Donald/Smith, 78 via University, 91 all-day, among other things. 

13 hours ago, armorand said:

Back in the days of MCI Classics and D40s, someone apparently got caught between the doors after something happened with the McKay gate, and got dragged by a MOVING bus. In Edmonton, same thing happened, but that person didn't survive.

The back door mechanisms and locks on Winnipeg Transit were probably instituted and left that way, specifically because of that type of accident that occured. Granted its a few decades since it happened... but theres always that safety factor, of someone potentially geting caught in the back door, which is why Winnipeg Transit probably locked the back door access and prevented the bus from moving, until back doors cleared. 

That being said though... can't they just hand out N95's and enhance shields on the buses, to mitigate the issue?

If I recall the Winnipeg incident correctly that individual was carrying a bag or bags of groceries. Very hard to keep the rear door open when your hands are occupied by carrying something. That's what the front door is for.

10 hours ago, MMP15 said:

Probably the usual seasonal stuff. I haven’t checked everything, but they’re reducing the 36 and 75, as well as making changes to the 31 and all three East End express routes.

With COVID, I'm surprised that transit doesn't run a reduced schedule. Keep enough to allow social distancing, yet cut some busses that are unnecessary. I'm thinking run a Saturday schedule Monday-Friday, and keep running express busses in peak hours on top of that. This could be a big opportunity to save money here, which could be used for the fall schedule change to add a couple extra runs to the routes that need it most.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 1:18 AM, Taylorover9001 said:

The 23 Broadway-William, 29 to Beaumont, 47 Transcona-Pembina, 60 via Chancellor Matheson, 65/66 via Donald/Smith, 78 via University, 91 all-day, among other things. 

The 23 replaces Monday to Saturday 29 service to City Hall. The 65/66 are still using the Transitway between Osborne Station and Main Street but will use Donald/Smith which turns into Princess/King between Rupert and Broadway.

3 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

The 23 replaces Monday to Saturday 29 service to City Hall. The 65/66 are still using the Transitway between Osborne Station and Main Street but will use Donald/Smith which turns into Princess/King between Rupert and Broadway.

But the 23 Broadway service on Saturday is once every hour and still no Sunday service. So if someone who lives in the Broadway-Assiniboine neighbourhood needed to go to HSC on a Saturday thet'd have to wait a full hour if they just missed their bus. No Sunday service and that person would have to walk or take 3 buses (66 Grant, 11 Portage, 29 Sherbrook) to get there.

Easier to have someone drive them.

15 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

But the 23 Broadway service on Saturday is once every hour and still no Sunday service. So if someone who lives in the Broadway-Assiniboine neighbourhood needed to go to HSC on a Saturday thet'd have to wait a full hour if they just missed their bus. No Sunday service and that person would have to walk or take 3 buses (66 Grant, 11 Portage, 29 Sherbrook) to get there.

The Broadway/Assiniboine area will still receive more effective Saturday service and any Sunday/Holiday service via the Spirits, with the 1 providing connections with the 33 at Vaughan and Graham and the 2 providing such connections at Portage and Garry, though those will be cut effective with the fall change.

3 hours ago, LilZebra said:

It would only take 2 buses, not 3. Take the 66 and transfer to the 33 at Graham, or the 19 at Portage, or the 12 at William.