Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

7 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

Love it when I check a stop, and it says the bus'll come in 3 minutes. 3 minutes later I check again, and it say 3 minutes. 3 minutes later, still says 3. WTF?

Also, 13+ minutes for a 60?

The algorithm Transit uses to predict the arrival time of late-running buses is wildly over optimistic about the time a late bus might make up. The computer code needs to be re-written.

My practice now is when I'm using the website from my phone and a bus is late from schedule I find a bus stop where the same bus is now "due" and note the number of minutes late it is there. That's a better forecast than the one Transit uses.

--

Prior to SW Transitway Phase I opening the Winter midday weekday headway of the 60 Pembina was 9.67 minutes (9, 9, 10). (Summer midday weekday headway was 12 minutes). 

In 1982 the Winter midday weekday headway of the Pembina route was about 4 minutes (and rush hour was a bus "every threeto four minutes").

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

The algorithm Transit uses to predict the arrival time of late-running buses is wildly over optimistic about the time a late bus might make up. The computer code needs to be re-written.

I feel people would be more angry about transit saying a bus is due in 7 minutes, and then have it show up in 5.

2 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

I feel people would be more angry about transit saying a bus is due in 7 minutes, and then have it show up in 5.

The algorithm should be something closer to "same number of minutes late as 15 minutes up the route, minus a safety padding of a minute or two". I don't know what the current algorithm is but its results somewhat resemble "half the minutes the bus actually is late". No bus 10 minutes late ever makes up half that time in 10 minutes of running (unless the driver is doing 80km/h in the 40km/h zones).

The result of the current algorithm is that the arrival information for late-running buses is always wrong (and always early) until the bus is a minute away. It gets less wrong as the minutes count down but isn't right until the bus is a minute or so away. 

It would be relatively easy to change the programming and make it more accurate earlier. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Cop: You were going 68 in a 55

Me: Can you round that up to something a little cooler?

Judge: How the hell were you going 420 in a 55?

WPS has to make that money somehow. :P

Seriously though, I'm amazed after how many years...? that Winnipeg Transit STILL can't get it right. 6xx bus routes, no direct feeders to Seasons with any reasonable frequency (feeders, not Route 74 going into spirograph mode down Kenaston), no Charleswood feeders to the mall either, or 95 reroutes to the mall, or any actual efforts to boost ridership in the South, minus just building the road to nowhere and assuming everyone will get out of the Cadillac's and hop right in... I mean, they will confuse everyone with the numbering scheme, and draw some more random lines on the map, but how about some ACTUAL concrete changes? Like David mentioned awhile back, a Crosstown South being brought back? A crosstown West from Waverley West to RRC, where it would transfer to the 77 (rerouted to RRC and boosting frequency significantly) or the Crosstown South at Waverley West, which South route will connect with the RT station before taking the Perimeter to South St. Vital? Plus I'm sure the drivers on the 77 would appreciate not having to drive all the way to Polo anymore. And thats just for the South of Winnipeg... the whole system needs a fresh look at it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LilZebra said:

You should count yerself lucky, dude. Prior to 2012, headways on the 60 Pembina were 15 mins. (peak & possibly early evening). Then BRT happened and WT reduced service down to every 30 mins. That's why we have the almost useless (few riders) 99 now, because people were complaining about service removal from the northern part terminus of Pembina Hwy. to Jubilee (or Point Rd.).

Next year, when WT goes to the more efficient and sensible Feeder & Main line system, the 60 will operate every 10 (peak), 15 (midday), 20 (early evening), 30 (late evening) minutes apart.

SOURCE: WT 60 Pembina (Proposed April 2020 map and frequencies)

I got an idea. Simplify the 95 (pls. WT, give this a new number) to travel the whole length of Taylor Ave., the River Heights part and the Tuxedo (West Taylor) part. East end terminates at Beaumont Stn. West end terminates at Tuxedo Park Shopping Centre. If you wanna go to Polo Park, I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to transfer to a 74 Kenaston, which is gonna have to operate more frequently or transfer to a 79 Charleswood Polo Park at Tuxedo Park Shopping Centre. That means the 95 will no longer go all the way to Polo Park Transit Terminal. But it also should mean(s) improved frequency on the 79.

The other route that is currently part of the 95, which serves the south Osborne part of Ft. Rouge can be renamed the Jubilee (like it was in the 60s and 70s) or continue to call it Morley.

The Jubilee bus would travel all the way down that street and not half way like it does now. It would continue to serve the Riverview Health Centre. The other terminus would end at Beaumont Stn. In between, the Jubilee bus could turn every which way in Ft. Rouge the way the current 95 does. Passengers could ride the Jubilee bus to go to Jubilee Ice Cream, err...BDI. Added service to Churchill Dr. Park.

Result is better connections to Osborne St. from Pembina Hwy. in the Beaumont neighbourhood of Ft. Garry. If you needed to go to St. Vital, from the Beaumont area, there would be no need to travel back to Main @ Stradbrook, as you could catch a southbound 16 Osborne or 58 Dakota Express from Osborne @ Jubilee.

Result is improved on time performance and less complexity. The portion of the 95 covering the Red in Yellow highlight is Deleted. The "new" portion would go all the way down Jubilee, AND also (if possible) serve Churchill Dr., then go back up north to continue as the route is now. Service to Riverview Health is maintained.

Winnipeg Transit - Route 95 - Tuxedo - Riverview - Mozilla Firefox_869.png

Good idea, except for the part where the bus has to fall off of the St Vital Bridge onto Churchill Drive (bike path?). Should be EB Jubilee, SB/EB Churchill to NB Morley.

It was nice the other day that two staff members of the TMP team attended the Funct. Transit Winnipeg AGM.

On 4/23/2019 at 5:52 PM, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

All the work is chopped up there no good work anymore the amount of straight shifts is down and for senior drivers that’s not good for them who like 8 hour straight shifts

Is that why practically every bus ride I take for the past few months, they're always switching drivers? Doesn't matter which route I take.

4 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

It was nice the other day that two staff members of the TMP team attended the Funct. Transit Winnipeg AGM.

Is that why practically every bus ride I take for the past few months, they're always switching drivers? Doesn't matter which route I take.

Not really just mean that work that used to be say a straight 90 got chopped up and now is 3 trips 90 one trip 44 and inbound 49 it’s dumb cause ur on time for the 90 then the 44 kills u so now ur late for the 49 

7 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

I call it "how to destroy faith in public transit in a city".

They like to interline stuff a lot now a lot of work now involves interlining my buddy once did a 29 that became a 60 that switched to a 55 and stayed on the 16 the rest of the night till 2 am 

• Confused 1

Rode the 44 Grey London bus this afternoon on the FREE ride day. I know I could have taken the 47 Transcona Regent, but that was another 15 mins. wait from Concert Hall Stn.

That route should be turnedd into a suburban feeder for that part of town, 'cause gee whiskers ... it goes this way, then turns that way, then around this way. Enough to make my head spin.

yikes.jpg

If the downtown part were cancelled and it became route 444 or somethng like that it would speed up service and take one more bus route out of downtown.

16 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

Rode the 44 Grey London bus this afternoon on the FREE ride day. I know I could have taken the 47 Transcona Regent, but that was another 15 mins. wait from Concert Hall Stn.

That route should be turnedd into a suburban feeder for that part of town, 'cause gee whiskers ... it goes this way, then turns that way, then around this way. Enough to make my head spin.

yikes.jpg

If the downtown part were cancelled and it became route 444 or somethng like that it would speed up service and take one more bus route out of downtown.

I don’t know many people who ride the whole route but it does serve its purpose 

When you look at Winnipeg Transit's routes there are so many meandering routes and so many "C" and "U" -shaped routes. Winnipeg's arterial street pattern is quite irregular (vaguely star pattern, broken by three rivers (Red, Assiniboine & Seine) and two railway main lines) so a certain amount of backtracking and zig-zagging is to be expected but the current state often violates good design and common sense.

37 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

I don’t know many people who ride the whole route but it does serve its purpose 

I do it's quite fun actually

56 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

yikes.jpg

it's not that bad actually  at least it's better than 77

22 hours ago, DavidW said:

When you look at Winnipeg Transit's routes there are so many meandering routes and so many "C" and "U" -shaped routes. Winnipeg's arterial street pattern is quite irregular (vaguely star pattern, broken by three rivers (Red, Assiniboine & Seine) and two railway main lines) so a certain amount of backtracking and zig-zagging is to be expected but the current state often violates good design and common sense.

In the 1960s/70s when I lived there, most of the major routes were L-shaped.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the bus today (Wed. June 5, 2019) around 4 pm and there was a system-wide announcement of a "Code 100" and that all operators were to pick up their bus phone (?) to listen to the voice msg.

What is this Code? Did WT have to "assist" a rowdy / dangerous person off the bus?

With regards to this story yesterday afternoon also around 4 pm (Tues. June 4, 2019), I noticed the buses were in the regular auto lane and the cars were in the Bus Only lane eastbound on Portage near the CBC Radio-Canada Manitoba bldg. Would have been nice to have WPS to help organize traffic better. My phone didn't have enough battery life in it to video it, otherwise I would have recorded a few seconds.

3 hours ago, LilZebra said:

I was on the bus today (Wed. June 5, 2019) around 4 pm and there was a system-wide announcement of a "Code 100" and that all operators were to pick up their bus phone (?) to listen to the voice msg.

What is this Code? Did WT have to "assist" a rowdy / dangerous person off the bus?

With regards to this story yesterday afternoon also around 4 pm (Tues. June 4, 2019), I noticed the buses were in the regular auto lane and the cars were in the Bus Only lane eastbound on Portage near the CBC Radio-Canada Manitoba bldg. Would have been nice to have WPS to help organize traffic better. My phone didn't have enough battery life in it to video it, otherwise I would have recorded a few seconds.

Code 100 all call is a when they want the operator to pick up the handset usually for dangerous situations where WPS are looking for someone and they possibly could be on a bus and the police need transits help if that person gets on a bus 

On 6/6/2019 at 1:50 AM, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

Code 100 all call is a when they want the operator to pick up the handset usually for dangerous situations where WPS are looking for someone and they possibly could be on a bus and the police need transits help if that person gets on a bus 

Ottawa calls that a "closed-air broadcast". 

Something interesting today: 

I was riding 55-17 tonight bus 109 and at around 7:40 2 police officers got on the bus at SB St. Mary’s at Marion and said we are just here to help, they remained on board until St. Vital centre and I don’t know what happened after that, they were pretty quiet other then asking when the driver finishes work. I was wondering is it just me that has seen this or has transit started asking police to be on board buses, I mean this is not like 1 or 2 stops downtown. 

Also has anyone else seen similar things? 

Heard a Code 100 "bus operators please pickup your handset within 30 seconds"at 16h05 today.

https://winnipegtransit.com/en/rider-guide/news/

The paper announcement poster I saw on a 47 Transcona bus today  listed routes that would have new scheduling, as well as one route, 44 Grey, with new routing. And yes, I'm pretty darn sure it was dated June 2019.

Yet upon checking the WT site for this new routing, it is not listed, only the scheduling changes.

What's up with that?

28 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

https://winnipegtransit.com/en/rider-guide/news/

The paper announcement poster I saw on a 47 Transcona bus today  listed routes that would have new scheduling, as well as one route, 44 Grey, with new routing. And yes, I'm pretty darn sure it was dated June 2019.

Yet upon checking the WT site for this new routing, it is not listed, only the scheduling changes.

What's up with that?

Yeah, I noticed that too, it might just be an error on their part