Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

14 minutes ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

Lol i mean like what would transit number the buses like 400s 9801-9900 Idk lol. 

I don't see why they would renumber anything existing. A whole lot of paperwork for nothing, changing all the maintenance records, dispatch histories, etc... But a new bus order could as easily be numbered in a four-digit range. (I doubt they're using fixed column databases like it's 1978 or something...)

On the other hand, it's fun to think they've got a box of IBM punch cards, one for each bus, that they read into their forty-year-old mainframe every morning before start of service... (It would explain a lot). ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think the idea of turning Fort into a transit mall is a great idea. Even with the Eastern Corridor, Main would still be heavily used by Transit if this doesn't happen. It would make the Rapid Transit routes faster through downtown. It would make the intersection of King and McDermott/Bannatyne safer for cyclists.

On 9/29/2018 at 3:12 PM, bus is coming 1965 said:

If winnipeg was to renumber the fleet into 4 digits what would that look like

Maybe in the year 2500 AD. Possibly.

By then we'll all be using hovercraft ala Back to the Future. Except for those still riding BRT.

On 9/29/2018 at 3:12 PM, bus is coming 1965 said:

15 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

Ya I read cause total artic in fleet will be 48 after this order is delivered 

Which probably means more routes will use them.

By the way, what are other routes are good candidates for these buses? 74?75? 78? 

With the artics, I can't see them running on routes that go through older neighbourhoods such as the 75. The other issue with the 75 is the stop bay at KP is too small for a 60-foot bus (and a little crowded when all the bays have a bus). The reason why I can't see them going in older neighbourhoods is the turning radius required wouldn't work in areas such as Transcona and the North End which aren't built for that. Every route that they currently serve (36, 54, 59, 160) serves newer areas such as Amber Trails (36), River Park South (54) and Island Lakes (59). The 160 doesn't really go through any residential areas.

7 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

With the artics, I can't see them running on routes that go through older neighbourhoods such as the 75. The other issue with the 75 is the stop bay at KP is too small for a 60-foot bus (and a little crowded when all the bays have a bus). The reason why I can't see them going in older neighbourhoods is the turning radius required wouldn't work in areas such as Transcona and the North End which aren't built for that. Every route that they currently serve (36, 54, 59, 160) serves newer areas such as Amber Trails (36), River Park South (54) and Island Lakes (59). The 160 doesn't really go through any residential areas.

And don't forget 72 in Richmond West and South Pointe 

7 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

75 could work if it’s the university buses to Windsor park. Could do 47, 55 could work till 10 pm when mall is busy and even the 11 as those do get busy 

1 minute ago, matt548 said:

And don't forget 72 in Richmond West and South Pointe 

11 it definitely can fit In glenway and yes 72/183. 21,24 even a 25 could use it 162 should have it even one of the 3 170s at night 

35 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

75 could work if it’s the university buses to Windsor park. Could do 47, 55 could work till 10 pm when mall is busy and even the 11 as those do get busy 

11 it definitely can fit In glenway and yes 72/183. 21,24 even a 25 could use it 162 should have it even one of the 3 170s at night 

the problem with 162/170 (from what I've read) is that the Balmoral Stn Bay won't fit a 60ft bus.

oh and 25, absolutely. the bus is full by Polo Park already

maybe even 28, it gets really packed sometimes

46 minutes ago, matt548 said:

the problem with 162/170 (from what I've read) is that the Balmoral Stn Bay won't fit a 60ft bus.

oh and 25, absolutely. the bus is full by Polo Park already

maybe even 28, it gets really packed sometimes

All they need to do is have the 25 skip polo park. You already have 11/21/22/24/67 going there

19 hours ago, matt548 said:

I agree, they're only from '03-'04

We still have buses from before 2004

The buses we have go all the way back to 1995.

18 hours ago, matt548 said:

By the way, what are other routes are good candidates for these buses?

If the buses can drive the route safely, then 47. It seems like it's always beyond full when I ride it.

14 hours ago, matt548 said:

Doesn't the 160, which does get 60 ft buses, go to Balmoral Station?

The turning radius of the 60ft artics is actually tighter than for a 40ft standard transit bus. The artic is basically a 35ft plus a 25ft trailer. So turning geometry in older neighbourhoods isn't a problem.

The main concern in deploying 60ft artics where 40ft's normally operate is stop length. Both the sidewalk configuration for the third door, and the extra length for pull in and pull out need to be added. It can be a tedious, and costly process to pour concrete and change parking and bus stop signage to fit the bigger buses on dozens of bus stops.

• Thanks 1