Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

the rt route numbers are inconsistent with the rest - i guess that's why they use the old number

4 minutes ago, Taylorover9001 said:

But it's not the old route. Have fun calling the 74 as the 78X.

I'm pretty sure "X" stands for Express, for instance 65 used to be 66X, 46 was 47X

3 hours ago, Viafreak said:

There are no Bus Routes 4-9, 23, 27 and 52 as well. Of those, only 4 and 52 were bus services in the last fifteen years. 4 being another Downtown Spirit route and 52 being the St. Boniface of the 19. The 52 is proposed as a route number for a new service servicing Sage Creek that is postponed due to funding. Not sure why there is no 23. 

Don't forget 27 which also became part of 19

Back in the 1990s, Winnipeg Transit updated their look by changing by replacing the rolls sign to Yellow on Black, changing routes names, and signage.

Some of the old names (That are still used today)

21 Portage Red Express

22 Portage Green Express

53 Coniston

56 Aulneau

72 Dalhousie / Killarney

75 Lagimodiere

82 Westwood

83 Crestview

85 North Kildonan

88 Cathedral

90 Concordia

92 Plessis

98 Rannock

4 minutes ago, trebor204 said:

Back in the 1990s, Winnipeg Transit updated their look by changing by replacing the rolls sign to Yellow on Black, changing routes names, and signage.

21 Portage Red Express

22 Portage Green Express

53 Coniston

56 Aulneau

72 Dalhousie / Killarney

75 Lagimodiere

82 Westwood

83 Crestview

85 North Kildonan

88 Cathedral

90 Concordia

92 Plessis

98 Rannock

The interesting thing is that 78 was originally called Waverley then renamed Crosstown West then back to Waverley 

3 minutes ago, Taylorover9001 said:

Did the 78 originally have 1 route, then have 2 routes, before getting split?

Yep, Started with the Waverly Leg (via Bison and Waverly before Bishop was extended west of Pembina). Only ran Monday to Friday

Added the Kenaston leg, but only during peak periods, and kept extending the route. (Victoria Hospital, Henlow, Whyte Ridge, Tuxedo Business Park, Lowson - Both ways and Ikea)

Then in 2010, added Saturday Service, and operate both legs all day.

Then this month, replaced the 78 Kenaston to 74, and extended service later in the evening Monday-Friday.

2 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

I have a driver's route book from 1997

I started collecting individual route pamphlets when I moved to Winnipeg in 1985.  Each change I collect one of each route with a route or schedule change.  Thus I think I have a more or less complete Winnipeg route history since then. 

Before it became the 163 it was the 63, but before that it was the 60 Pembina Waverly Heights...

My first term at the UofM I made the mistake of jumping on a 60 Pembina going to Fort Richmond instead of Downtown. In rush hours some 60 trips were extended past the UofM to Pembina and Killarney.

The other thing that confused me as a newcomer in 1985 was that I kept referring to routes by their numbers, but all the long time Winnipegers didn't know the numbers and only referred to routes by their names. (The route numbers were only a couple years old by then).

52 minutes ago, DavidW said:

I started collecting individual route pamphlets when I moved to Winnipeg in 1985.  Each change I collect one of each route with a route or schedule change.  Thus I think I have a more or less complete Winnipeg route history since then. 

Before it became the 163 it was the 63, but before that it was the 60 Pembina Waverly Heights...

My first term at the UofM I made the mistake of jumping on a 60 Pembina going to Fort Richmond instead of Downtown. In rush hours some 60 trips were extended past the UofM to Pembina and Killarney.

The other thing that confused me as a newcomer in 1985 was that I kept referring to routes by their numbers, but all the long time Winnipegers didn't know the numbers and only referred to routes by their names. (The route numbers were only a couple years old by then).

I would love to see the old schedules

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, trebor204 said:

21 Portage Red Express

22 Portage Green Express

53 Coniston

56 Aulneau

72 Dalhousie / Killarney

75 Lagimodiere

82 Westwood

83 Crestview

85 North Kildonan

88 Cathedral

90 Concordia

92 Plessis

98 Rannock

Of those routes listed, only the 85 is still called by its route name.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, STO_1601 said:

Well that was a long time ago though. Winnipeg can still decide whether to skip it or not for this next order of 28 artics if the do indeed number them in the 600s range. Like when they decided to change the rules about buses ending in "00". That's probably why there was never a "500" bus in the 1998 D40LF fleet.

The last 666 was the Flyer D700 prototype of 1968; it was renumbered from 700 after the delivery of the first production order 601-665 in late 1968-early 1969. EDIT: Found this picture of it. 

I've never bought into superstitious hooey of any kind, including Satanism. 

BTW, does Winnipeg also have a 666 telephone exchange? Some cities avoid that.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, matt548 said:

How do you call 183 and 185? 

Also why don't you like the "1"?

In Edmonton they often drop the prefix 100 from streets and avenues numbered above that. Some businesses take advantage of that for their names; the Matrix Hotel at 100 Avenue and 107 Street was once called the "Inn on 7th".

Edited by Mark Walton
Add link to picture of prototype D700.

16 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

If i callthe 185 the 85. To my friends. I'll he like i took the 85 to the uofm. They know im talking about the 185. And i just call the 183 the 183

It's still weird. If Winnipeg reuses the number 61 or 62 in the future, then have fun. Also, an 85 does exist, not just 185.
https://winnipegtransit.com/en/routes/85