Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

42 minutes ago, Taylorover9001 said:

But where in the 900's? If I'm not mistaken, there isn't enough room in the 900's anywhere, unless they renumber some of the D30LF's/D60LFs, or they have gaps in the numbering, such as having the numbering as 926 - 929 (4), 950 - 970 (21), 991 - 993 (3), to have all 28 buses in there. Yes, a good chunk of the D30LF's have been retired, but still I don't think you could cleanly fit them into the 900's,  and the repainted 2001 D30LF's are probably staying for awhile longer, or maybe I'm wrong, IDK.

Very true we will have to wait and see I guess 

On 9/8/2018 at 6:53 PM, Taylorover9001 said:

I don't know, but if I had to make a prediction, I would say probably in the 300's (370 - 397), but the 600's (665 to 692) are possible too.

Would Winnipeg Transit except "666" as a fleet number though? It's often considered to be the devil's number as the reason why Regina Transit skipped it in the first place. But other transit transit agencies in the west did have it before it became well known in pop culture.  

1 minute ago, STO_1601 said:

Would Winnipeg Transit except "666" as a fleet number though? It's often considered to be the devil's number as the reason why Regina Transit skipped it in the first place. But other transit transit agencies in the west did have it before it became well known in pop culture.  

We did have a 666 before. That was 30-40 years ago. So no 666 would not be possible. We did have 630-660 then 670-699

11 minutes ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

We did have a 666 before. That was 30-40 years ago. So no 666 would not be possible. We did have 630-660 then 670-699

Well that was a long time ago though. Winnipeg can still decide whether to skip it or not for this next order of 28 artics if the do indeed number them in the 600s range. Like when they decided to change the rules about buses ending in "00". That's probably why there was never a "500" bus in the 1998 D40LF fleet.

19 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

Who cares if it's the number of a fictional character?

49 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

Well that was a long time ago though. Winnipeg can still decide whether to skip it or not for this next order of 28 artics if the do indeed number them in the 600s range. Like when they decided to change the rules about buses ending in "00". That's probably why there was never a "500" bus in the 1998 D40LF fleet.

We only got a 300 and a 800 cause of this. 

800-830 is 31 buses and they didn't wanna end at 831. If they did they would have to skip to 835 for the next order after that. Same with the 300s

Frankly I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about Winnipeg Transit fleet numbering.  There have been some "common practices" but those change whenever the decision-makers change. For some time fleet oddballs have been numbered in the 900s (D30LF's, D60LF's, XE40's, demonstrators, etc...) but it's entirely possible they might change that with this order of XD60's. They've also been unwilling to break the four-digit barrier, but that too could change.  

As for ordering XD60's... As a transit enthusiast fleet variety is the spice of life. As a transit user I know buying artics means less service. The real point of buying high-capacity vehicles is to reduce (or avoid increasing) frequency. Poor service frequency is Winnipeg Transit's fundamental flaw. In attracting ridership high frequency is far more important than speed or WiFi or upholstery or fancy paintjobs or nifty slogans. And it's only with high frequency that the network becomes useful for any and all journeys, not just trips downtown.

8 hours ago, DavidW said:

Frankly I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about Winnipeg Transit fleet numbering.  There have been some "common practices" but those change whenever the decision-makers change. For some time fleet oddballs have been numbered in the 900s (D30LF's, D60LF's, XE40's, demonstrators, etc...) but it's entirely possible they might change that with this order of XD60's. They've also been unwilling to break the four-digit barrier, but that too could change.  

As for ordering XD60's... As a transit enthusiast fleet variety is the spice of life. As a transit user I know buying artics means less service. The real point of buying high-capacity vehicles is to reduce (or avoid increasing) frequency. Poor service frequency is Winnipeg Transit's fundamental flaw. In attracting ridership high frequency is far more important than speed or WiFi or upholstery or fancy paintjobs or nifty slogans. And it's only with high frequency that the network becomes useful for any and all journeys, not just trips downtown.

I thought the 60 foot buses were for reducing times when the buses look like passengers are about too fall out of the windows.

19 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

I thought the 60 foot buses were for reducing times when the buses look like passengers are about too fall out of the windows.

The correct response to crowded buses depends on the level of service. If the service is low frequency the correct change is more frequency. If the service is high frequency then the correct response should be bigger vehicles.

Winnipeg Transit has no policy on what constitutes "low frequency" or "high frequency". For a city Winnipeg's size and with our ridership I think "high frequency" is a bus every 10 minutes or better, and "low frequency" is a bus every 13 minutes or worse.

If people are "hanging out of the windows" on Portage Avenue then deploy artics. If it's on the 36 (buses 30 minutes apart) then schedule more frequent service...

20 hours ago, DavidW said:

The correct response to crowded buses depends on the level of service. If the service is low frequency the correct change is more frequency. If the service is high frequency then the correct response should be bigger vehicles.

Winnipeg Transit has no policy on what constitutes "low frequency" or "high frequency". For a city Winnipeg's size and with our ridership I think "high frequency" is a bus every 10 minutes or better, and "low frequency" is a bus every 13 minutes or worse.

If people are "hanging out of the windows" on Portage Avenue then deploy artics. If it's on the 36 (buses 30 minutes apart) then schedule more frequent service...

So, I guess the 60 footers need more use on 160/161/162. It seems, even during the the highest frequency of those routes, they are full and then some.