Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

The story in the news about Transit being saddled with the carbon tax is a concern.  The mayor says he won’t consider a fare hike to respond to the additional cost, so service cuts seem likely in the future. The unproductive routes will have to go.  

3 hours ago, horseman said:

The story in the news about Transit being saddled with the carbon tax is a concern.  The mayor says he won’t consider a fare hike to respond to the additional cost, so service cuts seem likely in the future. The unproductive routes will have to go.  

It is a concern.  Curiously, according to a CBC article

Nonetheless, Mayor Brian Bowman said Friday he would not support cuts or additional fare increases on top of the 25-cent-a-ride hike instituted on Jan. 1.

which seems to imply neither another fare increase nor service cuts are acceptable. That only leaves City Hall allocating increased operating funding to Transit (and therefore either a tax increase or cuts elsewhere in city spending to cover it). In the grand scheme of things $1.16 million isn't huge.

I'm sure this isn't anywhere near over yet, and the conversation will come back to fare increases and service cuts (it always does), but maybe just maybe it's starting from a better place than has been usual for the last four decades or so. Perhaps if we reduce our annual diesel bus purchases (because the Province is buying us battery electric buses) and transfer the savings to Operating it might all balance.

This will require another lobbying campaign...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DavidW said:

It is a concern.  Curiously, according to a CBC article

which seems to imply neither another fare increase nor service cuts are acceptable. That only leaves City Hall allocating increased operating funding to Transit (and therefore either a tax increase or cuts elsewhere in city spending to cover it). In the grand scheme of things $1.16 million isn't huge.

I'm sure this isn't anywhere near over yet, and the conversation will come back to fare increases and service cuts (it always does), but maybe just maybe it's starting from a better place than has been usual for the last four decades or so. Perhaps if we reduce our annual diesel bus purchases (because the Province is buying us battery electric buses) and transfer the savings to Operating it might all balance.

This will require another lobbying campaign...

This is an Election Year. The Mayor (any Mayor) can say whatever they want. The Election is in late October. The Transit Fare vote is usually in December.

Especially if Bowman doesn't get a 2nd Term. He won't care what happens Jan 1, 2019.

19 hours ago, wpgtransit183-2 said:

My source has told me paper passes are going to be discontinued soon with an official announcement coming in May. My source worked in the treasury dept of transit at 65 Garry street where all the fare box money goes.

Dang, I have collected all my Bus Passes since 1996, and placed them into 'Sport Card' plastic sheets.

On 18/03/2018 at 2:12 AM, wpgtransit183-2 said:

My source has told me paper passes are going to be discontinued soon with an official announcement coming in May. My source worked in the treasury dept of transit at 65 Garry street where all the fare box money goes.

What about paper tickets? I know they plan to phase them out, but I wish they wouldn't. They're still very convenient when you have guests visiting town. Can give them all a few tickets. I did that when I organized a conference last year -- gave everyone bus tickets so they could get to the Forks and back in the evening. No way to do something like that with Peggo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, car4041 said:

What about paper tickets? I know they plan to phase them out, but I wish they wouldn't. They're still very convenient when you have guests visiting town. Can give them all a few tickets. I did that when I organized a conference last year -- gave everyone bus tickets so they could get to the Forks and back in the evening. No way to do something like that with Peggo.

They have tokens that replaced tickets

1 hour ago, Bus Photography MB said:

Been hearing rumours that Winnipeg Transit will be buying D35LF’s after the D30LF retirement..  

hmm... I know it's just rumours but I really hope it's true 35 footers are much more practical than 30 footers

8 hours ago, wpgtransit183-2 said:

For spring 2018 change gonna be a few artic 160 runs nice to see the artics on the transit way 

Would like to see them on evenings and on weekends. I think the 162/170 could use them more than the 160. However I believe some of stops in Fort Richmond can't handle the Artics

12 minutes ago, trebor204 said:

Would like to see them on evenings and on weekends. I think the 162/170 could use them more than the 160. However I believe some of stops in Fort Richmond can't handle the Artics

Only way we will see them on evenings or weekends is if Brandon is opened later or track 36 becomes a artic track for 5 or 6 buses at FRG. Only stops in fort Richmond that can handle these buses are the 72 stops as I have seen a few 72s with artics