Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

On 12/15/2017 at 11:38 AM, vivablue5215 said:

The 18 is NOT close to the outlet mall at all.

Maybe they are thinking that because the Outlet Mall is located in Tuxedo South and the 18 does enter Old Tuxedo.

6 hours ago, matt548 said:

Nice signage :P

20171217_124422.jpg

Sooo, where's the 60 Pembina and all the "RT" routes listing, or is that for another stop?

Kind of common sense, but shouldn't all the "RT" routes have the same stop and all the "local" buses (cough cough) have separate stops?

I was at the Univ. of Manitoba last week just for something to do, and there were still no shelters put back.

Can someone point me to the original planning document for this project (U of M Station)?

3 hours ago, LilZebra said:

Maybe they are thinking that because the Outlet Mall is located in Tuxedo South and the 18 does enter Old Tuxedo.

Sooo, where's the 60 Pembina and all the "RT" routes listing, or is that for another stop?

Kind of common sense, but shouldn't all the "RT" routes have the same stop and all the "local" buses (cough cough) have separate stops?

I was at the Univ. of Manitoba last week just for something to do, and there were still no shelters put back.

Can someone point me to the original planning document for this project (U of M Station)?

60 is at another stop...

for some reason the stops were out of order.

instead of   (1) - 60, 160, 161, 185   (2) - 36, 75, 76   (3) - 72, 78 and (4) - 51, 137, 162, 170

it was (1) - 51, 137, 162, 170   (2) - 72, 78   (3) - 36, 75, 76 and (4) - 60, 160, 161, 185 

also, the stop locations have been moved eastwards for some reason...

The shelters were there but the electricity hasn't been completely wired yet

2017_12_17_21_57_39_20171217_124857_Windows_Photo_Viewer.png

also, instead of putting the numbers of the routes properly they  just put a sheet of paper with a grid containing the numbers (I'm pretty sure it's temporary, but it still kinda funny)

Stood and watched the new U of M terminal in operation for more than an hour this afternoon.

Drivers are mostly confused. I saw one bus emerge into the terminal from Alumni Lane, and another who arrived at the terminal from Freedman Cres (the old way). He laid over in the departure loading zone instead of in the layover area (blocking the stop). Almost every departing bus rolled through all four stops scanning the signs for the route numbers. (In time they'll get to know which stops are for which routes).

Oddly, the route stop assignments in the real world don't match what's online. Online the 60/160/161/185 stop at the third stop but in the real world they're assigned to the first stop. The others are similarly scrambled.

I also saw buses in the layover area laying over blocking the exit. It'll take a while for drivers to get the hang of lining up side-by-side facing north to lay over.

There were several Transit cars (supervisors or inspectors) in the area trying to sort it all out.

Construction workers were still busy finishing shelter assembly.

P.S. I observed a route 72 trip operated by an artic. That seemed odd to me.

11 minutes ago, DavidW said:

Stood and watched the new U of M terminal in operation for more than an hour this afternoon.

Drivers are mostly confused. I saw one bus emerge into the terminal from Alumni Lane, and another who arrived at the terminal from Freedman Cres (the old way). He laid over in the departure loading zone instead of in the layover area (blocking the stop). Almost every departing bus rolled through all four stops scanning the signs for the route numbers. (In time they'll get to know which stops are for which routes).

Oddly, the route stop assignments in the real world don't match what's online. Online the 60/160/161/185 stop at the third stop but in the real world they're assigned to the first stop. The others are similarly scrambled.

I also saw buses in the layover area laying over blocking the exit. It'll take a while for drivers to get the hang of lining up side-by-side facing north to lay over.

There were several Transit cars (supervisors or inspectors) in the area trying to sort it all out.

Construction workers were still busy finishing shelter assembly.

P.S. I observed a route 72 trip operated by an artic. That seemed odd to me.

Yup 36-11 it will most of the time get an artic

Car/bus crash very close to 421 Osborne (Winnipeg Transit's main facility) early this morning (January 5, 2018).  Police still investigating as of 8 AM.  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/osborne-closed-crash-bus-vehicle-injury-1.4474261

Police were allowing transit employees to access 421 Osborne via the transitway, Osborne was closed to traffic immediately north of 421 Osborne at the traffic light leading to MTS/McDonalds.

Edited by horseman

On 12/18/2017 at 3:09 PM, DavidW said:

I was back at the new University of Manitoba Terminal today (my first visit since December 18th) and while the assignments of routes to the four bus stops had been changed from what I observed before Christmas, they STILL don't match what  m.winnipegtransit.com uses. Today the 60/160/161/185 were using the fourth (east-most) stop, even though online they should be using the third stop, and the 36/75/76 are supposed to be using the fourth stop.  Either the route-to-stop assignments need to be changed again, or the electronic database used by the web app needs to be fixed.

I was told the terminal is a PPP project and getting mistakes fixed is exceedingly difficult. Messages get passed up one chain of command and across an authorized liaison connection and then back down another command chain to the boots on the ground. Perhaps like a game of telephone the messages are getting garbled along the way.

1 minute ago, DavidW said:

I was back at the new University of Manitoba Terminal today (my first visit since December 18th) and while the assignments of routes to the four bus stops had been changed from what I observed before Christmas, they STILL don't match what  m.winnipegtransit.com uses. Today the 60/160/161/185 were using the fourth (east-most) stop, even though online they should be using the third stop, and the 36/75/76 are supposed to be using the fourth stop.  Either the route-to-stop assignments need to be changed again, or the electronic database used by the web app needs to be fixed.

I was told the terminal is a PPP project and getting mistakes fixed is exceedingly difficult. Messages get passed up one chain of command and across an authorized liaison connection and then back down another command chain to the boots on the ground. Perhaps like a game of telephone the messages are getting garbled along the way.

The marker for the 60/160/161/185 routes seem to be at the third stop too for the automated announcements. At the current stop, the AA doesn't switch to the time until it approaches the third stop.

Also noticed the stop for School of Music is erroneously announced "Agriculture". There's no stop at Agriculture at all.

11 minutes ago, vivablue5215 said:

The marker for the 60/160/161/185 routes seem to be at the third stop too for the automated announcements. At the current stop, the AA doesn't switch to the time until it approaches the third stop.

Also noticed the stop for School of Music is erroneously announced "Agriculture". There's no stop at Agriculture at all.

I think the GPS data for the automated announcements is the same data as is used online, so wrong in one place is wrong in both places.

As for the "Music" stop, the Faculty of Music is no longer in that area (It's now in Tache Hall), so the name of the stop had to be changed. The building across Dafoe Road from the old Music building is "Agriculture" so I think that's what they're trying to use. I do note that eastbound the database has just one stop, but on the ground there are two, one in the "Agriculture" location across from old-Music (with an installed TrueForm flag sign) , and another closer to University Crescent in front of Animal Science/Entomology building (a temp sign on a stick). The extra stop seems like a last-minute addition to replace the former stop on University Crescent at Dafoe Road southbound, which is discontinued.

I don't think that stop is for a reroute of any sort because the entrance to seagrim from fermor isn't closed and the original stop on niakwa doesn't have a sign on it saying the stop is temporary discontinued, also the way they mount the sign doesn't look like its a temporary stop because usually the temporary stops will have it's own base and they can be put anywhere but that sign is attached straight to the light pole 

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, vivablue5215 said:

The temporary stop inbound to UM at Dafoe/University has been removed. Unfortunately this means the stop marker sits at a stop that doesn't exist anymore.

How do you mean? If you mean the first stop on Dafoe after turning off University Crescent, across from the Leisure Centre, then that stop never existed in the online data or stop announcement data. If the temporary sign is still in place then the stop is in the same state it has alway been in.