Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎12 at 7:08 PM, bus is coming 1965 said:

IMG_0052.thumb.jpg.b43b453654a9e5c194453f0bb1f8c50c.jpg

Does anyone know what's going on with 409 it's sitting in a lot at Fennell and seel

Perhaps that building in front of it is a MCI facility. If that's the case, it seems odd that they would take it there instead of New Flyer.

13 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

Looking at the reroute of 84/86 to Fort Rouge Station, I gotta say I don't really like it. I'm used to it being passing Taylor @ Stafford, but now it doesn't, and I have to remember that.

I heard the rationale for the change to the north end of the routes was to tie-in to the transitway to make easier connections with routes on it to go north/south. I hear there are a lot of complaints about the changes to 84,86, and 94.

3 hours ago, horseman said:

I heard the rationale for the change to the north end of the routes was to tie-in to the transitway to make easier connections with routes on it to go north/south. I hear there are a lot of complaints about the changes to 84,86, and 94.

It might help with acceptance of the 84/86 change if the weekend schedule of the Southwest Transitway was fixed. The 160 and the 170 (and probably the 60) need to be coordinated to provide more evenly spaced service.  Right now Sundays at around 2pm those three routes overlapping randomly leave gaps of more than half an hour (and clumps of three buses in a 5 minute window...).

On the other hand couldn't the 84/86 and the 99 Windermere be connected/pooled to provide downtown-anchored service?  City Hall - Midtown Bridge - upper Pembina - Taylor - Nathanial - Grant - Cambridge (or Poseiden) back to Taylor, with the 86 splitting off to cross the CN mainline at Waverley to its suburban route and the 84 continuing out Taylor to cross the CN mainline at Kenaston to its suburbia. They could even be "84 TAYLOR Lindenwoods" and "86 TAYLOR Bridgewater Lakes". They would provide downtown service for their suburbanites, service on Taylor for the Shindico big box retail development west of Manitoba Hydro, and with the Nathaniel-Grant-Cambridge diversion would still connect to Grant Park Shopping Centre, Grant Park Highschool, Pan Am Pool, and the regional on-street transfer point at Grant/Cambridge.

Winnipeg Transit is highly skilled at thinning service to stretch it across an ever larger service area and an ever more multi-point travel demand, but it's resulted in generally infrequent service and an exceptionally illogical route network. (Every "U"-shaped or fish-hook shaped route is probably not logical, and the pretzels don't make a lot of sense either.) Service really needs a high-level general re-think and a complete redesign. And that will be hard, because regular riders are well-adapted to their current rut and if changing the 84/86 and 94 generates "a lot of complaints" it would be nothing compared to re-architecting everything.

6 hours ago, horseman said:

In the news this morning, it's mentioned that a future study on Winnipeg's rapid transit network is being proposed, but also that a number of Transit and transportation projects are being abandoned.   http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-greenway-cancelled-funding-1.4294128

The article says seven transit projects are cancelled but only mentions two: new buses, and shop tools. Do we know what the other five might be?

It was announced today that the city is considering implementing WIFI on twelve buses starting in January. The report is on the agenda for the next meeting of the Innovation Committee which means that the money for the project would be coming from the Innovation budget not Public Works. Here's a link to the announcement: http://winnipeg.ca/cao/media/news/nr_2017/nr_20170918.stm#1 

On 9/18/2017 at 2:39 PM, DavidW said:

The article says seven transit projects are cancelled but only mentions two: new buses, and shop tools. Do we know what the other five might be?

There was a list in an article on the Free Press today https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/tory-funding-freeze-scuttled-bridge-plan-city-official-says-445945653.html (paywall) which included a list of the cancelled Transit projects:

$1.805 million: Transit shop equipment upgrade/replacement

$550,000: Transit vehicle purchases

$600,000: Transit rapid overhead doors at wash rack

$200,000: Transit administration building washroom renovation

$150,000: Transit main and secondary water line replacement

$1.3 million: Transit asset management IT solutions

$1.4 million: Transit hoist repair/replacement

3 hours ago, horseman said:

... list of the cancelled Transit projects:

$1.805 million: Transit shop equipment upgrade/replacement

$550,000: Transit vehicle purchases

$600,000: Transit rapid overhead doors at wash rack

$200,000: Transit administration building washroom renovation

$150,000: Transit main and secondary water line replacement

$1.3 million: Transit asset management IT solutions

$1.4 million: Transit hoist repair/replacement

That's an interesting list. Assuming "vehicles" is not a bus but service trucks or inspector cars none of the cuts are customer facing.