Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

In the Winnipeg Free Press, the associate head of the department of biosystems engineering at the University of Manitoba argues (rather convincingly too) that Winnipeg is perfectly matched for electric buses.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/analysis/twelve-years-to-transform-transit-441358583.html

(quote) But only one city has a combination of factors that makes it a perfect candidate for battery-electric buses: Winnipeg.

With the presence of a local bus manufacturer with extensive experience in battery-electric buses (New Flyer Industries), one of the lowest electricity costs in the developed world (Manitoba Hydro), a 100 per cent renewable electricity generation mix and a transit authority that has been working with the local utility, bus maker and researchers to test and perfect the on-route charging infrastructure needed to complete the transition, there is no other jurisdiction that can match these conditions.(end quote)

5 minutes ago, vivablue5215 said:

University students will have their UPASSes on Peggo cards starting this Fall. Students will have to tap their UPASS Peggo card and show their student ID to board.

It hasn't been tested yet whether the UPASS Peggo card can load other fares.

I thought the cards could hold ecash and a pass simultaneously but not two passes at once. Is there a reason why one user would hold multiple simultaneous passes?

1 minute ago, DavidW said:

I thought the cards could hold ecash and a pass simultaneously but not two passes at once. Is there a reason why one user would hold multiple simultaneous passes?

It was more of whether the UPASS Peggo card can load a monthly pass between May and August, when the UPASS is invalid. The people on campus didn't know the answer.

1 minute ago, vivablue5215 said:

It was more of whether the UPASS Peggo card can load a monthly pass between May and August, when the UPASS is invalid. The people on campus didn't know the answer.

That's an interesting question. It would make sense that a peggo card is a peggo card (same rfid chip) but they are also trying to colour code them. The Upasses are probably loaded onto coloured "concession" cards. 

My guess is there is nothing technological preventing the same card being a UPass card for 8 months of the year and an adult-fare card for 4 months, but it is a "no no" because Transit Tom is still fixated on different coloured tickets for different fares. 

Let us know what the answer to your question is when you find out.

11 minutes ago, Theodore Leung said:

Hi,  I'm from Edmonton and I'm gonna stay in Winnipeg for two days.  I am interested in taking picture for the D40I,  I wonder where is the best place for me to go?  Thank you!

Weekday rush hour downtown am. But they can be anywhere. But good place is downtown. You'll see D60LF and the XE40

6 hours ago, Theodore Leung said:

Hi,  I'm from Edmonton and I'm gonna stay in Winnipeg for two days.  I am interested in taking picture for the D40I,  I wonder where is the best place for me to go?  Thank you!

Often lately one has often been parked in the front drive at the Fort Rouge garage (421 Osborne) for use in training.  

On 8/28/2017 at 10:42 PM, vivablue5215 said:

Luck of the draw really. You also gotta hope the weather isn't too hot; transit doesn't usually send the D40is out when it's too hot since they don't have A/C and only have tip-in windows.

On 8/28/2017 at 5:21 AM, horseman said:

Often lately one has often been parked in the front drive at the Fort Rouge garage (421 Osborne) for use in training.  

On 8/27/2017 at 11:21 PM, bus is coming 1965 said:

Weekday rush hour downtown am. But they can be anywhere. But good place is downtown. You'll see D60LF and the XE40

Really appreciate for all of your information! I managed to spot a D40i and 2 D30LF in Downtown!

DSC_1087.JPG

• Like 1

The University of Manitoba temporary transit terminal on MacLean Crescent, which was in full operation yesterday (Friday 01 Sep) is once more closed. Today (Saturday 02 Sep) all routes are terminating at temporary stops northbound on University Crescent between Freedman and Dafoe.

?

The 78 Crosstown West is one of many routes going to a new schedule 03 September 2017. Nothing unusual about that, it's the start of University and the 78 is a University of Manitoba route. It always steps up service when classes start.

However what is odd is that Transit Information at Millennium Library, and at Winnipeg Square, have only route 78 pamphlets dated April 2017. I asked the agent at Winnipeg Square and he shrugged his shoulders and said "That's what they gave me". I suspect the folks at Winnipeg Transit responsible for keeping this stuff up-to-date forgot to order new route 78 pamphlets...

16 minutes ago, DavidW said:

The 78 Crosstown West is one of many routes going to a new schedule 03 September 2017. Nothing unusual about that, it's the start of University and the 78 is a University of Manitoba route. It always steps up service when classes start.

However what is odd is that Transit Information at Millennium Library, and at Winnipeg Square, have only route 78 pamphlets dated April 2017. I asked the agent at Winnipeg Square and he shrugged his shoulders and said "That's what they gave me". I suspect the folks at Winnipeg Transit responsible for keeping this stuff up-to-date forgot to order new route 78 pamphlets...

That is what I like to call a oops 

5 hours ago, DavidW said:

You got the right schedule, they just have the wrong date on the schedule.

The times inside the schedule have all the 'extra university' runs, and on the bottom right corner has the revision date of 1.54 / 'September 2017'

6 hours ago, DavidW said:

Usually the little pamphlet stall beside the Answers desk at U of M have updated schedules. I haven't checked as I'm not in town right now, but could be a place to take a look.

15 hours ago, trebor204 said:

You got the right schedule, they just have the wrong date on the schedule.

The times inside the schedule have all the 'extra university' runs, and on the bottom right corner has the revision date of 1.54 / 'September 2017'

Good catch. I didn't notice the revision date in small print down at the bottom of the schedule page. So they just typo'ed the date on the cover of the pamphlet...

23 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Speaking of the 78, when will Transit run it on Sundays/Holidays other than game days (it will run next Sunday for the Banjo Bowl)? Seeing as the Commons is open on Sunday and the other Crosstown Routes (75 and 77) run on Sundays, it would make sense to run it.

I have the impression that any service increase is an uphill battle for Transit. Cost saving by cutting service seems more likely in the near term.

The big-box retail strung out along Kenaston certainly seems like a place where Sunday service would be useful. Would you operate only the "Kenaston" branch of the 78 on Sundays? 

I did ride the 78 via Kenaston from Polo Park to the University of Manitoba recently. Golly that's a long and wandering ride, in and out of industrial parks and retail parking lots, and even a corner of Whyte Ridge residential. And at that it did IKEA but not the new Outlet Mall (so it could have been even more wandering).

On another note... With Polo Park Mall closed today (for Labour Day) Transit cancelled the 11 Portage short trips between Downtown and Polo Park. They did not, however, cancel them in the electronic data. The buswatch signs, and the website, kept announcing invisible buses all day...