Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

On 4/25/2017 at 7:34 PM, wpgtransit183-2 said:

84/86 now servicing the seasons of tuxedo across from IKEA spotted the 84 there earlier 

Took my car out to the bus loop (no benches, signs or even shelters currently installed - just the orange plastic signs) - enough room for at least 3 40-footers, or dare I say two artics... the thing is though, now what would those bus bays be used for...

One is for the 84, I'm assuming the second is for a 78 short-leg route, potentially the new 95 terminus. But what's in door #3?

19 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

What, Winnipeg's only installing bike racks on buses this recently?

They remove them every fall and reinstall them every spring. Something about how the added length messes up parking in the garage...

21 minutes ago, DavidW said:

They remove them every fall and reinstall them every spring. Something about how the added length messes up parking in the garage...

Buses in FRG have to be parked bumper to bumper with really zero space between them. The designated walkways are probably less than a two feet wide at most, so bike racks kinda mess that up. They're kinda stuck for space.

Took Transit to check out the new outlet shopping mall. The mall is served by routes 84 and 86.  Buses stop at a bus loop on the west side of the mall.  The stop is on a back side of the mall but its a short walk to entrance #4.

The mall is quite large. My impression was that it was on a similar scale as St. Vital Centre (perhaps not counting the department store anchors at St.V.C.).  My first impression was that a mall the scale of this one will need better transit service than the infrequent and poorly connected 84/86.  

For my trip from Osborne Village I took three buses...  16 Osborne to Osborne Station -- 66 Grant to Grant/Cambridge -- 84 to the mall loop.  The 84 I boarded was running 31 minutes late. Both the 16 and the 84 are less than frequent (my standard is 15 minute headway) and my layovers were 12 minutes at Osborne Station and 20 minutes at Grant/Cambridge. The long second layover was frustrating. When I boarded the 66 Winnipeg Transit was forecasting the layover would be 6 minutes.

For my trip home I caught the 84 at IKEA, changed to the 66 Grant at Grant/Kenaston, and changed to the 60 Pembina at Pembina/Hugo. My connection layovers were 7 minutes at Grant/Kenaston and 11 minutes at Pembina/Hugo (which I used to buy a coffee at Tim Hortons). Not bad.

On 5/2/2017 at 7:34 PM, DavidW said:

Ottawa does the same (we call it Rack and Roll), though this is the first I've heard of the parking issue.

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎02 at 6:34 PM, DavidW said:

If you look at the specs for the eastern corridor's garage, you will notice that Transit is figuring bike racks into the space specs for that garage. http://winnipegtransit.com/en/major-projects/rapid-transit/eastern-corridor-study/. Click on Documents and then click on the website link to the Documents for Bid Opportunity.

17 hours ago, Viafreak said:

If you look at the specs for the eastern corridor's garage, you will notice that Transit is figuring bike racks into the space specs for that garage. http://winnipegtransit.com/en/major-projects/rapid-transit/eastern-corridor-study/. Click on Documents and then click on the website link to the Documents for Bid Opportunity.

Which document? There's a long list.

• 2 weeks later...