Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Note that the moratorium is on new diesel buses. (I would argue that it's even more narrow than that... diesel buses with Cummins current pollution-control device). XE40's wouldn't fall into that category... Neither would (new) LFS's if Novabus would offer an optional Volvo engine.

Would they consider CNG?

Would they consider CNG?

Hard to say. I've never noticed Winnipeg Transit express interest in alternative fuel options such as CNG. The interest in battery-electric is new. Before the XE40 pilot project there was forty years of buying only diesel.

• 2 weeks later...

Fare* and good news for East St. Paul:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/2016/01/25/liberal-mp-wants-to-expand-winnipeg-transit-to-rm.html

Feedback from the doorstep during last fall’s election has one local Liberal Member of Parliament following up on a plan to extend Winnipeg Transit into East St. Paul.

MaryAnn Mihychuk said consultation is underway with members of the largely suburban community, located roughly a 20-minute drive outside the north east corner of the city, in regards to bringing transit services to the municipality.

“Over 70 per cent of those that we speak to are in support, and would like to see the extension of transit up in the community,” she said during a recent interview.

“Our intention is to meet with transit, which is going to be the next step. Is it possible? How would the deal look?”

Any extended service would likely come in the form of a park and ride program, according to Coun. Jeff Browaty, who says Mihychuk contacted him about the project.

Does anyone know anything about 1465 Chevrier (Hofer's Transport)? Was looking at the City of Winnipeg clerks system at the Variance committee agenda's, and on Google maps, there appears to be three buses on property. Wanted to ask before I go fanning and find out they're something else entirely...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Transit fleet expanded

Winnipeg Transit is also facing higher operating costs in 2016.

The city will sink $25.6 million more this year to keep up with fleet expansion and maintenance.

That money will add 52 new buses to the fleet; 35 of those will replace existing buses, while adding eight for the Transit UPass program.

The city said the UPass program is still on the road to launching in the fall.

part of budget 2016

As I understand it Winnipeg Transit has prepared proposals for East St. Paul in the recent past (last decade). In those cases East St. Paul was unwilling to pay for the service as costed by Winnipeg Transit. I wonder if something has changed in ESP...

Something od happen this evening. So I get off the 170 at pembina and mcgilllvery. I.walk up to Beaumont Street I'm almost home then i see 600 NIS going down. I'm like WHAT THE? and the 94 doesn't even run today

Did you get a run number? Might have been a mechanic taking a defective bus back to the garage.

i heard from my buddy on the 21-2 that they will park buses there that say come in off the service tracks after the am rush are parked there more so during summer to keep them cool and more so when a bus has just returned from g it will be parked there if its booked to go out during the pm rush. also you will find artics parked there that have come back from training runs and are left there as its close to the training branch.

The only route changes for next change is the 99 and 68 taking them off the bus way they'll stay on stradbrook

That seems like a pretty backwards move to me. Transit Tom really hates his own busway, doesn't he? I though the whole point of running them through Harkness Station was to facilitate transferring between them and the busway routes. Are they going to put a stop on Stradbrook at Harkness Station?

Just the other day I was pleased to see someone at Harkness step back from the RT bus I was on to wait for a preferred 99. I guessed they were headed to City Hall, or perhaps someplace on Smith.

One of the ways users compensate for the crappy service frequency in Winnipeg is choosing stops with overlapping service. Transit's route and service design principles seem aimed at making this as least useful as possible. Kind of a "F*ck you, we give you crappy service and you will HAVE crappy service. No cheating!" principle.