Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Spotted a D30LF (1996, didnt get a fleet number) on Route 22 again... seriously? :blink:

I posted in the Vancouver section of this.

When I was in the Winnipeg area in 2009, I rode transit a lot on the weekends after I drove in from Steinbach. I parked at the Southdale Park and Ride, and just took the bus where I was going (or transit fanning...). I was leaving to come back to Vancouver on Dec. 26th, and my Dad was flying in from Vancouver to help me drive home on Christmas Day. So I did my usual thing when going to pick him up -- drove to Southdale Park and Ride and took the bus to the Airport (16 then 15 -- no 20 at the time). The 16 was empty the entire way downtown -- I was the only one on it. It didn't help that it was 9:00 AM on Christmas Day, but it was still empty. Every time I had taken the 16 prior to that it was always full (not at the start, but always past Kingston Row). Then I got on a 15, and there were 1 or 2 others on it. They got off before we got onto Sargent, and we flew along Sargent like it was nothing (in the snow!) and I was the only passenger. That driver was wondering why a person in their low 20s was riding transit to the Airport at that time of morning on Christmas. When I told him, he said he wished he could drive me all the way to Vancouver...

On a slightly different note, I remember once on the Vancouver forum someone mentioning that when some of our new New Flyer buses were being driven out to Vancouver, the delivery drivers were purposely putting our "11 Express" sign (defunct route, but sign still exists) up when travelling along Portage. Probably got many confused onlookers not only wondering why it says 11 Express and not 21 Express, and then why the bus didn't stop in the first place...

I'm doing up a set of Google Maps with a redo of the transit system in Winnipeg. When I'm complete, I will post links. It's mostly from my ridership observations when I was there (so may be a tad old) and from what people are saying on here. Plus, I'm using many of the techniques I totally like about Winnipeg Transit (i.e. 2-way loops instead of completely 1-way loops) again and improving them. I've done this with some other transit systems that I've ridden with mixed results, but hopefully I'll have positive feedback and polite criticism from the Winnipeg group unlike the Hamilton Street Railway group...

I took the 11 on Christmas Day 2011, around 7-8pm (to sell my friend my Jagermeister since she was dry for Christmas and that I havent even touched it in months). 3-4 people heading west from 20208/Portage and Ferry. Heading back, I was the only one onboard. So definitely no surprises there.

I've had issues with Google Maps whenever I attempted long routes, or more than 10 routes on it. After 10, it'd go to a new page and NONE of them would ever all show up at the same time on the software, much to my annoyance (thus why I always stuck to small cities, like Okotoks, Brandon, etc). After that, I've usually just given up, along with lack of interest from anybody except probably BCT and a few people from Winnipeg. I used to post a ton of this section of the board, along with small towns across the board along with seeking opinion. And finally seeing someone else stepping up and doing this, I'd be more than glad to help you out with feedback and constructive efforts. Just leave the 9:20 and 9:37am trips from 20112/my bus stop to work on Route 26 alone, and it'll be all good! :P

Usually 20205 (Portage/Berry) towards work, or towards/from Polo Park. Cause that section does have quite a bit of ridership!

As for route changes, I can't think of too many for St. James, except getting the 98 to go to Sturgeon (High School) and Murray Park, via Moray (thus reducing the congestion), and keeping the 83 out of Murray Park and letting it only terminate at Strauss. I've also thought of an 82 extension to Assiniboia Downs/MTS Iceplex (City of Winnipeg land), or to Flying J's into the Oak Ridge development (low-income employment = transit users), if not towards Headingley itself. Also, the extra Route 77 trips from Polo to RRC are useless - I barely saw anybody on them in the mornings. Lets use those extra buses for other routes, shall we? Route 49 could use a few extra buses...

Oh, I really wish Winnipeg Transit would actually do this. Especially considering how so many routes have branches that go in totally different directions.

I could agree if they run routes like the 47 and 55, but for the 11, 21, 22, 162/170... is it really necessary if its just from one point to another if it doesnt loop around in the end? That and we'd need to install 3 sets of schedules for bus stops, x3 routes, and we'd be swamped both as transit workers, and riders trying to understand that they need to take a 22A to Woodhaven, then a 21C to Polo Park, and then take the 11B Downtown to hop onboard the 183A... it'd just be confusing.

201 broke down on the 78, and was sitting at Polo Park most of yesterday afternoon - the 78 utilized the 24/95 stop area instead during this time, along with surprisingly the 77/20 stopping at the 26 stop area as well...

Saw 201 on the 25 though this afternoon - must've been repaired pretty fast!

I could agree if they run routes like the 47 and 55, but for the 11, 21, 22, 162/170... is it really necessary if its just from one point to another if it doesnt loop around in the end? That and we'd need to install 3 sets of schedules for bus stops, x3 routes, and we'd be swamped both as transit workers, and riders trying to understand that they need to take a 22A to Woodhaven, then a 21C to Polo Park, and then take the 11B Downtown to hop onboard the 183A... it'd just be confusing.

Well, other cities do this. It makes it simpler and clearer to identify your bus -- you don't have to wait for the destination sign to scroll through to know where the bus is going, and you can tell someone "Take the 15F" rather than "Take the version of the 15 bus that goes via Flight Road".

I'm not sure what you mean about 3 sets of schedules -- they already use letters to indicate the destination of the bus in the schedules (e.g. 06:10F, 06:30W, 06:50F for the 15), so there would be no change at all.

But maybe I don't think like a Winnipegger yet. :)

Route 10 - I've noticed that theres no transit service along Wall/Erin at all in this city. Considering how many students go to Tec Voc along with Valu-Lot for low-income riders, maybe it should be routed on Wall/Erin up towards Notre Dame. Would help out alot of people. Would still have its Polo Park connection though on Portage (I'd say... Portage and Dominion?)

Route 14 - Low-income residents along with Wal-Mart, Dollarama, Polo Park... its already bursting at the seams. A seperate Polo Park - Downtown route, terminating at Empress/Eastway, would provide for connections to the suburban routes at the Blue Cross stop, along with servicing the mall, with a sheltered walkway/parkade for people to walk into the mall through its East Wing. Along with added service. Would help to replace the 1990s service cuts and start the long road back up to 1980s transit service.

Route 19 - Get it to service Canad Inns Windsor Park (Stereo/Cowboys nightclubs) and ridership during Fridays and Saturdays would skyrocket, as opposed to an empty bus everytime it loops the neighborhood. Or everytime it goes back Downtown, for that matter!

Route 26 - Cutting out the Silver/Ellice sections will hit hard... I live on it and use it to get to work, along with a ton of other people, the Discovery daycare (if Winnipeg Transit wonders why theres 20-30 boardcounts at a time there, its cause of the daycare :P ), Route 14 connection too. Cutting that would decimate Route 26 revenue. Along with giving the Ferry/Silver area literally no service.

Route 78 - The Lowson portion and Tuxedo Industrial Park shaved off would save IMMENSE amounts of time... (Kenaston)

Route 72 - I like it! Routes 84 and 86 though would need a re-work if this happens, to prevent duplication.

Route 82 should instead focus out towards Pointe West, Assiniboia Downs and eventually back to Headingley. I rode the 83 in full last week - I was impressed (4pm trip, weekday). It completely counters what I see mid-day near Whytewold.

Route 98 should service down Moray to Murray Park/Sturgeon/Strauss. Seeing Moray everyday, daytime service is certainly feasible with all of those cars, and route connections (65/66/67/79).

Route 180 would become quite a way to save revenue and add service possibly. I like it!

But then people can't go to the Industrial area there. One thing I considered for this route is to split it into two different numbers. Then I was going to have the Waverley part as the "Crosstown West" route that goes from Polo Park to U of M, and have another number (perhaps 79 since I removed that number?) do the Kenaston portion without going to U of M. I have a draft drawn up on my computer of this while still part of Route 78 -- I'll post it and see what people think.

I'm sure you figured out after you wrote this that I already did re-work those routes... In fact they are eliminated in their current form.

Does Winnipeg Transit have the authority to go outside of city limits? If so, I'll figure something out for the Headingley area.

See my new 82 and 95 routes above. Note that the 95 took over for much of the 98.

I never figured out why there were two routes that travelled along a similar portion... So I essentially combined 180 and 181 into one route that travels in both directions. The industrial areas are only covered in the peak direction (southbound in AM and northbound in PM) and are bypassed in the opposite peak direction.

Thanks for the great feedback! If we all start to agree on things, maybe these links could be an email off to Winnipeg Transit???

I used to work at Ikea, and the Lowson/Industrial portions have always seemed extremely dead to me during my rides. Before the IKEA extension, the only people at the Lowson bus stop would just be Ikea employees. As evident by the tons of them leaving their garbage from the cafeteria in the ditch... jeeze, my co-workers were messy.

And I only went through the routes that I've been on (or tried out before while fanning). I've never been through Transcona, St Vital, Pembina or the Maples much, so I didnt open those links.

Technically they do (Birds Hill Park, for example), and unless Headingley pays for it, they'll never see service again. But considering how much more useful it would be to service that community than the south one that the 87/your new 49 services, along with all f the construction since 1993, that it should be looked at again by Winnipeg Transit once the RM decides to fund it.

And anytime!

• 2 weeks later...

823 is now wear a TSN jets wrap

i have a picture of that actually along with 992... but my friends are REALLY starting to get annoyed cause they can apparently see my "Bus Lounge" photos. Either I can upload it to the private NFI group, or i can get a new Facebook. But i will upload that one soon.

118 - NIS, southbound Lagimodiere turning onto WB Fermor, 2:30am, routecard 11-6 (I was out at Stereo). Which route would've been serviced then?

246 - Route 20

Spotted my first Zone 3 work bus today - Zone 4 was full of drivers. So far, I know 1 is for the West End, and maybe either River Heights or Charleswood. Covers Polo. Zone 2 is St. James. Zone 3 must be Pembina or something...

700-series bus - NIS, deadheading back to garage via SWRTC from Main, 2:30am

RT-wrapped bus (sorry, couldn't get a fleet number) - NIS, turning onto WB Portage from Arlington, just after about 3:15am.

The first bus I presume was going back to the garage... but was the other one a work bus, or something else?

• 1 month later...