TTC Ride Guide

Passed through Union Station earlier this week and noticed they had new Ride Guides available at the Customer Service counter.  The cover artwork commemorates Indigenous Heritage Month and includes a panel on the TTC's 100th Anniversary and shows the renumbered 13 AVENUE RD. and 19 BAY.  Apologies they seem to be uploading rotated to landscape instead of portrait.  Will have to make another post due to the upload limit!

IMG_20210616_1243081.jpg

IMG_20210619_2258447.jpg

IMG_20210619_2302202.jpg

Just now, Gil said:

Passed through Union Station earlier this week and noticed they had new Ride Guides available at the Customer Service counter.  The cover artwork commemorates Indigenous Heritage Month and includes a panel on the TTC's 100th Anniversary and shows the renumbered 13 AVENUE RD. and 19 BAY.  Apologies they seem to be uploading rotated to landscape instead of portrait.  Will have to make another post due to the upload limit!

IMG_20210616_1243081.jpg

IMG_20210619_2258447.jpg

IMG_20210619_2302202.jpg

IMG_20210619_2300319.jpg

IMG_20210619_2301097.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRD10 said:

Looks like it was designed on a really outdated Microsoft Publisher.

No offense to any indigenous persons, but the designers at TTC could have done a better job.

These covers are designed by independent artists and selected by the TTC. The artist can choose whatever tool to use as there’s no requirement to use the most latest tool to create art.

• 5 months later...

The maps from November have been updated and they haven’t included the following changes:

— 60C STEELES WEST to Kipling, with errors of the 960B/D between Finch and PV as no 960A branch exists.
— 97 YONGE via Yonge Blvd (though this is temporary)

• 1 month later...

The TTC Ride Guide was supposed to have a commemorative cover for 2022 to mark their centennial which was featured when the TTC had its anniversary this past September.  I haven't had the chance to get to a station to see if they're available.  The online map is still dated November 2021, so I have a feeling they're not ready just yet.

TTC's 100th Birthday | Steve Munro

6 hours ago, Gil said:

The TTC Ride Guide was supposed to have a commemorative cover for 2022 to mark their centennial which was featured when the TTC had its anniversary this past September.  I haven't had the chance to get to a station to see if they're available.  The online map is still dated November 2021, so I have a feeling they're not ready just yet.

TTC's 100th Birthday | Steve Munro

Been on MtD and Qsy buses along with Line 2 all week and there's nothing yet, we're overdue for another ride guide, hoping we'll see it soon.

• 4 weeks later...

The current TTC map has mistakes all over. The 960 and 60C still haven't been fixed.

The number of routes that is no longer part of the 10 minute network is astonishing. They might as well remove the blending.

The list is pretty long now
32A west of Keele
34A east of Don Mills
45A north of Belfield
52 west of Scarlet and east of Lawrence West Stn.
63A
70 (this route was never really on the 10 min network, just temporary service boost put it on the list happening around the creation)
76A
87C
94B
95 east of Kennedy
102 north of Progress
900 (express route not shown on map)
927 (express route not shown on map) 

I don't see service being restored given the pandemic, introduction of express routes creating wider local route headways and round trip times added for service reliability.

• 1 month later...

I was passing through Union Station the other week and noticed they had removed the racks that held the Ride Guides at the Customer Service desk in the subway station.  I didn't have the time to ask at the collector's booth if they had maps available as it was rush hour and there were lineups at each booth.  Has anyone seen if the new printed maps are available?

Also, with the eventual free transfer/open door policy with GTA agencies and the TTC in a few years should they go back to the GTA-wide (well most of where the old GTA Pass could take you) transit map from the mid-1990s to the mid-2010s?  That map format had survived nearly 20 years (check them out on Transit Toronto from 1994-2013).  Perhaps if the agencies pooled their resources or let Metrolinx source and distribute them.  Most if not all agencies have similar policies with only the price of the fare itself being the only difference that would need to be included in the maps.  They were planned to cover more of the GTA given the grid labels didn't begin at A or 1 but instead D and 5 in the top left.  GO Transit eventually adopting route numbers for the bus routes will make indicating them easier than when they originally had to use the route name.  They will need to come up with a better way to differentiate (or is there a need to?) express service from BRT service with their various stops/stations.

image.thumb.png.7b5ae9354d12f450af1cf79ba4e20078.png from the final edition in 2013

Brampton Transit now has the same problem as YRT/VIVA with Züm having both Regular and Rush Hour branches/routes as well as express service.  MiWay on the other hand simply operates its express service through its Transitway.  Then there's DRT's Pulse service which didn't exist back in 2013.

I'd settle for a series of maps if only to be able to see ALL the services in an area.  Transitional areas where passengers transfer between two agencies ideally should have BOTH system maps or at the very least one of the Metrolinx maps indicating routes serving this stop and a general outline of where they go.  I know its a jurisdictional matter, but from the passenger perspective it's a useful bit of information to have.

Edited by Gil
Link added

1 hour ago, PrimeTio said:

I’m pretty sure everything’s online now, yea I haven’t seen those as well. I use to see them near the rear door but as of -2016 ish

Probably a COVID measure from when it was thought that it was transmissible by physical contact.  GO did away with printed schedules around the same time.  The TTC was going for something commemorative to mark their centennial, so I'm still hopeful  they'll be available at some point.

Printed maps are useful for those without smartphones or data plans (which include both low-income as well as foreign visitors).  I always grab printed maps whenever I travel in case I can't find a free WiFi hotspot.

As for having the maps online, a unified map would be useful.  It's easy enough to put an online map covering the GTA, breaking it up into overlapping segments similar to NYC MTA maps might make printing them easier for use in bus shelters.

New board changes starting May 8 (from Mt Dennis only):

New route:

174 ONTARIO PLACE-EXHIBITION

It appears that this will only be a 1 bus route starting in service at 12 noon, running to midnight. 

Reintroduction of express services:

929 DUFFERIN EXPRESS

This route will resume weekend service on both Saturday and Sunday.

941 KEELE EXPRESS

This route will resume midday service on weekdays.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

New route:

It appears that this will only be a 1 bus route starting in service at 12 noon, running to midnight. 

929 DUFFERIN EXPRESS

941 KEELE EXPRESS

What’s the routing for the 174 route??

8 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

New route:

929 DUFFERIN EXPRESS

941 KEELE EXPRESS

5 hours ago, Young said:

What’s the routing for the 174 route??

Strange the 174 ONTARIO PLACE-EXHIBITION didn't come up in the previous TTC Board Meeting in February where the Annual Service Plan was discussed.  None of the other changes have been implemented yet aside from the reconfiguration of the 121 FORT YORK-ESPLANADE into the 121 ESPLANADE-RIVER last fall.  This may have been a follow-up to deal with the loss of service for the western half of the old 121 routing.  Given its name and that only one bus is required I'm not sure how long this route will be.  The other 170-series route the 171 MOUNT DENNIS is a connector shuttle that also runs in a loop and the return of the 172 CHERRY CHERRY BEACH as a seasonal connector to Union Station.  With the Jays returning to playing at the Rogers Centre this year I doubt it will connect with Union Station as that's where it experienced most of its delays.

One interesting thing I noticed with the map showing cross-boundary routes from the same Board Meeting report (page 44 or page 8 in the Cross-Boundary Service Integration report) was that it covered all of the area the previous GTA Ride Guide did with a slight expansion westward to cover more of Mississauga and Brampton while also showing Pickering up to Squires Beach Rd.  It's a bit less in the north cutting off just short of Elgin Mills/Teston when the Ride Guide went just past Bernard Terminal to make sure the end of the 224D VICTORIA PARK NORTH at Honda was shown.

image.thumb.png.a66895fec65e90a72bddb1f30fbebf73.png

This would be an ideal starting point for the Toronto portion of a GTA set of Ride Guides.  It may only need to go as far as Major Mackenzie in the Toronto version, as long as the major routes (if not all of them) from ALL agencies get an indicator at the edge of the map as to their final destination similar to what's currently done on the Ride Guides north of Hwy. 7 and west of Pearson.  Maps with that kind of coverage area should be able to cover Halton/Peel (with Etobicoke for overlap) in a single map.  York, Durham and Hamilton already have maps that cover their entire service area with overlaps into adjoining agencies.  GO would be the only one needing a map (or a bunch of insets) to show their entire network.

Do the GO train-bus services count as local service or as they were depicted in the last GTA Ride Guide as express?  The way their bus services are structured it's hard to make a delineation between local and express.  The 16 HAMILTON/TORONTO EXPRESS likely being the only true express service (it's even in the name!).  There are express branches for some routes (some of which have yet to be reinstated post-COVID).

17 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

New route:

929 DUFFERIN EXPRESS

941 KEELE EXPRESS

For other next board changes (May 8th, 2022) 

174 Ontario Place-Exhibition:

Northbound to Exhibition Loop: from Ontario Place bus stop via west and north on Remembrance Drive, east on Lake Shore Boulevard West, north on Strachan Avenue, west onto the streetcar right-of-way to Exhibition Loop.

Southbound to Ontario Place: from Exhibition Loop via east on streetcar right-of-way, south on Strachan Avenue, west on Lake Shore
Boulevard West, south on Ontario Place Boulevard, west on Remembrance Drive to Ontario Place bus stop.

175 Bluffer’s Park:

This route will have a divisional allocation change. It will be transferring from Birchmount to Eglinton Division.

My source is the TTC Service Planning and Scheduling sheet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ttc.transit said:

Northbound to Exhibition Loop: from Ontario Place bus stop via west and north on Remembrance Drive, east on Lake Shore Boulevard West, north on Strachan Avenue, west onto the streetcar right-of-way to Exhibition Loop.

Southbound to Ontario Place: from Exhibition Loop via east on streetcar right-of-way, south on Strachan Avenue, west on Lake Shore
Boulevard West, south on Ontario Place Boulevard, west on Remembrance Drive to Ontario Place bus stop.

175 Bluffer’s Park:

This route will have a divisional allocation change. It will be transferring from Birchmount to Eglinton Division.

I'm guessing the Cirque de Soleil returning to Ontario Place is the impetus for the new service.  It will also be reliant on transfers as I doubt anyone in Parkdale or Liberty Village who will walk to the Ex will bother taking the bus the rest of the way.  It could very well be faster walking through the Ex grounds than taking the bus around it depending on the traffic along Lakeshore!  I presume this is also just a seasonal route? 

Aside from the 171 MOUNT DENNIS and the 176 MIMICO GO (which I forgot about) are the 170-series appear to be seasonal and all are relatively short shuttle/connector routes.  The upcoming 170 EMMETT would also fit into this category.  This only leaves us with 173, 177, 178 and 179.  I wonder if they'd consider renumbering the 99 ARROW RD. to 179 in keeping with this apparent theme freeing the 99 for a more substantial route?   

18 hours ago, Gil said:

I'm guessing the Cirque de Soleil returning to Ontario Place is the impetus for the new service.  It will also be reliant on transfers as I doubt anyone in Parkdale or Liberty Village who will walk to the Ex will bother taking the bus the rest of the way.  It could very well be faster walking through the Ex grounds than taking the bus around it depending on the traffic along Lakeshore!  I presume this is also just a seasonal route? 

Aside from the 171 MOUNT DENNIS and the 176 MIMICO GO (which I forgot about) are the 170-series appear to be seasonal and all are relatively short shuttle/connector routes.  The upcoming 170 EMMETT would also fit into this category.  This only leaves us with 173, 177, 178 and 179.  I wonder if they'd consider renumbering the 99 ARROW RD. to 179 in keeping with this apparent theme freeing the 99 for a more substantial route?   

If this route lasts through the summer boards and doesn’t get discontinued, it would almost be guaranteed to be seasonal route as it meant to bring people around to fun warm weather attractions that only take place then and would have no need in the winter seasons.

I don’t think they have a reason to rename the 99 Arrow Rd as it’s not a route study implement type thing they did with the express routes and renumbered all the non-downtown express routes in the 900 series and added some new express routes with it.

Also, there will be two crews on the 174. One split piece that does 935/174 and the other that will be a straight piece taking over at Exhibition.

And as per vehicle types on the route, I suspect it will just be Orion VII OG/NG Hybrids as it’s an all day run and electric buses, the Proterra BE40s will not be put on a all day run. It will also very likely not be an Nova Bus LFSA (artic) as the ridership will probably be very low. 

Here is the CPTDB Wiki route page I made for it: https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Toronto_Transit_Commission_route_174_%27Ontario_Place-Exhibition%27#Overnight_Service

1 minute ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It could be the 352 reaching Pearson is consider a branch of 52???

Beat me to it!  There are a few headscratcher routes on this map mostly in the 905 agencies.  If this map is meant to identify cross-border routes running into Toronto, then there are a few routes in Mississauga that shouldn't be identified on the map.  If it's meant to show cross-border routes crossing ANY municipal boundary then it's missing a bunch of Brampton Transit routes.  The MiWay 8 CAWTHRA meets neither, so I don't know why it's shown.  The MiWay 38 CREDITVIEW just barely meets the criteria but is missing the southern portion of the route.

What's the short portion on Avenue Rd. north of Eglinton?  I can't imagine a high school tripper running from there all the way to Renforth Stn.

The DRT routes need some updating (service to McCowan and Centennial College), but hopefully their full service is restored quickly as things rebound from COVID.

By the time full inter-agency integration takes place, would it make sense for the TTC to turn over service on Rexdale Blvd. to MiWay and focus on improving frequencies on Islington, likely in conjunction with the Eglinton Line opening?  There's no provision for a bus loop which would make splitting the route problematic. 

Was able to swing through Union Station today, there was no one in either of the collector booths on the south side of the station.  I did notice a stack of Ride Guides and Mini Ride Guides along with the Tourism Toronto city maps on the counter at the Information desk since they've removed the racks the maps used to sit in.  Both Ride Guides were the summer 2021 edition.  So it looks like they haven't printed the commemorative Ride Guides yet.  Perhaps waiting for the Spring or Summer edition?  What are the chances that they're holding off for the opening of the Eglinton Line?  The 150 EASTERN and 174 ONTARIO PLACE-EXHIBITION will be new routes on the map along with the seasonal return of 172 CHERRY BEACH and 175 BLUFFER'S PARK.  Not to mention routing changes to the 8 BROADVIEW and 65 PARLIAMENT among others planned for this year.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:54 AM, ttc.transit said:

175 Bluffer’s Park:

943 Kennedy Express and 968 Warden Express will be returning next board also.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...