Mississauga Transit Hiring Process

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I've been reading around the board and didn't really see (nor could I find when I searched) a topic regarding the hiring process for Mississauga.

I'm just wondering if anyone would be able to guide me in my quest of becoming an operator. I sent an email to HR yesterday just asking when another hiring campaign would take place. They weren't sure just yet. I then asked if there was anything I should do to help my chances once a campaign starts up. The following is their answer:

- keep studying the drivers, especially the good ones.

- don't be afraid to ask questions.

- observe the landmarks/addresses, and make mental(or written if possible) notes.

- study the passengers... their questions and reactions to the Operators is always helpful.

- when you have been called to come to the first appointment, be sure you don't miss it. Check out the location so you will know where to go. So many times, the applicant will show up at our offices, but the meetings and interviews are usually conducted off-sight.

- a minimum of 2 years Customer Service experience is a requirement.

Most important of all.....a true desire to become a Mississauga Transit Operator, and willingness to endure the process, is a must.

I'm curious as to what they mean by: - observe the landmarks/addresses, and make mental(or written if possible) notes.

Would anyone advise that I go on my own to get the BZ license? I think that would show initiative that I want to work in Mississauga, and not just *anywhere*.

Any other advice?

In the past, I've heard that they prefer candidates that have previous large vehicle experience, but I've also heard that they would rather train new large vehicle drivers themselves.

Addresses, mental notes, etc, would probably be to get to know the bus routes (pay attention to school routes, and ones like 17, 27, 50, 82, 89, 201 and 230, as those are usually what a new driver gets). Also, have a good idea of where addresses fall, such as 6000 at Britannia, 7000 at Derry, etc.

Oh I see. So if someone is looking for 6202 Derry I'll have a better idea of where they need to get to?

Thanks for clarifying that!

I've driven cube vans/UPS trucks before, and pretty well I might add. LOL... I just wonder if I have the license, not necessarily the experience of driving, then it won't seem like I'm using them to get the BZ and then jump ship to TTC or YRT or something. You know what I mean? If I have the license then I could, in theory, apply to my "dream job", which in this case happens to be Mississauga.

I've been in customer service for the last 12 years of my life or so, and I'm 27 now, so I'm not worried about that. I just would really love to work there. I think it's a great opportunity, there's room to move, Mississauga is constantly growing.

Oh I see. So if someone is looking for 6202 Derry I'll have a better idea of where they need to get to?

Thanks for clarifying that!

I've driven cube vans/UPS trucks before, and pretty well I might add. LOL... I just wonder if I have the license, not necessarily the experience of driving, then it won't seem like I'm using them to get the BZ and then jump ship to TTC or YRT or something. You know what I mean? If I have the license then I could, in theory, apply to my "dream job", which in this case happens to be Mississauga.

I've been in customer service for the last 12 years of my life or so, and I'm 27 now, so I'm not worried about that. I just would really love to work there. I think it's a great opportunity, there's room to move, Mississauga is constantly growing.

It sounds as if you'll have no problem getting hired

You might find this page helpful, it's actually what operators are given after they're hired.

So I spoke to my favourite 110 driver this morning, who sadly told me he's going to a different route starting Monday, which sucks. He's a great guy, and a great driver.

I asked him for a couple tips, and he advised me that MT should be starting a campaign soon enough. I'm going to set the MT website as my homepage and check it several times/day. (I think I'm OCD)

He was explaining "Smooth is Safe", and his opinions on splits and straight shifts. We were talking about the benefits and what-not.

I'm glad we talked, and it's too bad he's changing to the 1 Dundas.

You'll be missed Mr. Driver!

The only one thing I can tell you, because the system have grown so much, it's starting to get too busy. Don't let anyone giving you some BS attitude. I wish you good luck.

Huh? Grown too much? Starting to get too busy? Ummm, is'nt that a good thing? that's what we want, to grow transit. That's the whole point is'nt it? especially in MT land.

Huh? Grown too much? Starting to get too busy? Ummm, is'nt that a good thing? that's what we want, to grow transit. That's the whole point is'nt it? especially in MT land.

Things are complicated nowadays. MT used to be peaceful, but not anymore. They are getting close to TTC style but far ahead.

Awesome!

I got on the 53 on Friday after work and the driver commented on my t-shirt (Toronto Arognauts), so we chatted about football the whole drive to Square One. Awesome guy! Really nice. And sadly, Friday was his last day on the 53! They take all the good drivers! LOL

He gave me some tips about getting hired as well. He said he took the initiative and got his BZ license as well, before he was hired on. So it looks like in the next few weeks I'll be taking my classes! I'm excited!

it depends. growth in MT land equals to increase in urban sprawl.

Not any more. The province has clamped down and is enforcing intensification on municipalities. And in fairness, Hazel has mostly learned the error of her ways. It would have been better if it had happened two or three decades ago, but few were thinking in those terms then.

• 10 years later...

Wow, no one here in a few years, hopefully someone can help. 

Is there anyone out there that has applied within the last year or so, for the current hiring process, that can speak to timing for start to finish. 

Ex. when application was put in - to when they received a email for testing - to an email for an interview... and so forth.

I applied and went to the testing Friday June 22, 2018, and a friend of mine applied a few months ago for the previous opening and he received a rejection email within the same week, but I haven’t received anything at all my go ‘round, and it’s been a couple weeks now. They said they were hiring for September and October start times, so I would assume training is around Aug - Sept... considering the interview goes well of coarse. So I was just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 5:24 PM, TheRealMe said:

Does anybody know if they check references, and if they do, do they go as far as contacting the company or do they just use the references on the paper you submitted?

They always check references. I’m sure they just use the references you’ve submitted, but also at the top of the reference contact sheet it states you’re giving permission to contact both the company(s) and individuals to verify if they were in a supervisor role there just incase you try and give a relative or friend that did not supervise you, so yes they ‘can’ and I would guess in different circumstances, contact the company.

In my case they did not call the companies only the supervisors I submitted, but they could have contacted the companies if maybe my references didn’t pan out.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, pkshah said:

How soon they contact to references 

My interview was on September 18th 2019 

I had my interview on Sept 23 and they sent my references a survey in early Oct but i haven't heard back from them. Have you had any updates?