Work in the Metro

mtltransitguy

Lately there is a lot of work being undertaken in the metro, three new projects have surfaced this morning.

Let's keep track of everything here, rather than it being scattered all over the board.

From things as major as the Georges-Vanier closure to things as simple as Escalators that will be out of service for a few days or weeks.

The three latest projects are:

-The final stage of the downgrading of Beaudry's flatscalators

-All the work at Angrignon;

---Now requiring Trinitaires to be CLOSED outside the terminus...causing many interesting detours and stop displacements.

-Saint-Michel is getting work done to it's arriere-gare, requiring trains to pull a Monty, and use the same platform for loading and unloading.

For more information and details, see todays !NFOSTM.

As my Metro was trundling through Georges-Vanier the other day, I could hear the unmistakable sound of a concrete drill in the background.

I wonder if somebody privy to the actual work taking place there would kindly report it in this forum? Any takers? C'mon, your secret will be safe with us. :mellow:

As my Metro was trundling through Georges-Vanier the other day, I could hear the unmistakable sound of a concrete drill in the background.

I wonder if somebody privy to the actual work taking place there would kindly report it in this forum? Any takers? C'mon, your secret will be safe with us. :unsure:

I walked by the George Vanier Station yesterday, and I can tell you that almost the entire "edicule" has been demolished.... Looks really like a total tear down and restart, with a pile of rubble, a dickie moore style construction trailer and some really ugly temporary fencing. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fire that destroyed one of the row houses behind the station a few years ago.

Mike

I suppose it's even possible there was a rat, mice, and/or insect (read cockroach!) problem in the tunnels they were too embarrased to admit--or maybe too many water leaks.

Such things do happen in dark, dank places.

• 4 weeks later...
No more édicule? I think the work needed in this station was more serious than we are led on to believe. (Aftermath of de la Concorde overpass anyone? Anyone? Buuler?)

Hmmmm, interesting theory. That would make some sense, but then trains ARE allowed to pass through...

Hmmmm, interesting theory. That would make some sense, but then trains ARE allowed to pass through...

I overstated that the whole edicule was gone, it has however been seriously torn down, windows gone, part of the ceiling gone, the escalator seems to have been removed by tearing down the front side of it where the doors were. I think this may have some to do with the water damage caused by a fire about 4-5 years ago that destroyed one of the row houses behind the station on St-Antoine being taken more seriously post-de la concorde, but I am not a structural engineer. That being said, the shaft for the stairs and ticket area are offset from the tracks themselves and not directly overhead, so if the edicule and the stairs to the surface were to collapse, it is unlikely that the debris would foul the tracks.

Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...