BCT-3122-D800-10240

Random Photos - Calgary and Area

On 7/16/2019 at 12:14 PM, downbeat said:

I suppose there are worse kinds of graffiti … seen aboard 1216.

I'm surprised i dont see more on Calgary Transit to be honest - especially on the trains and with the U2 fleet about to go Vertigo to the scrappers. It would be pretty interesting to see this:

bteteaykejsw8tiaztfg.jpg

8313 still in MAX Purple livery, running on MAX Purple today. 😊

594F7103-9088-4596-B323-A35AFE00CD50.jpeg

31F73218-7A20-4C89-8AD1-F0211496BDEB.jpeg

Luminator apparently not working properly on 8244. 

6894E718-1261-401E-A0BA-31AEAFCCCC8D.jpeg

• Like 1

I don’t know if there will be any U2s running when I’m back out this way so I thought I’d grab a few shots and rides while I can.

0C3AE7F1-CA17-4C97-92D9-5F228F50F041.jpeg

90E244F4-32C9-4D51-8D35-F4089F1CF69E.jpeg

0546E875-CB11-40F7-AC88-D62FAA236E6D.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LRT said:

It will be around for years to come.

Hopefully some get preserved. Unless i get a passport and see the San Diego/Frankfurt ones, i won't be seeing any U2's in Canada after retirement unless Calgary or Edmonton are able to preserve any as heritage units. :P

On 7/23/2019 at 2:14 AM, armorand said:

Hopefully some get preserved. Unless i get a passport and see the San Diego/Frankfurt ones, i won't be seeing any U2's in Canada after retirement unless Calgary or Edmonton are able to preserve any as heritage units. :P

Word is there will be one at a library at least.

Took a nice sweaty ride home yesterday on IIRC 2056, they will indeed be around awhile.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.  I've been travelling for work and I haven't had a chance to sit down and write up a thoughtful reply.

On July-22-19 at 10:54 PM, LRT said:

It will be around for years to come.

Is there timeline for Calgary Transit retiring the U2 cars?  I'm only in Calgary very infrequently so even if they do have a few years left, they may well be gone by the next time I'm out that way unless the people at work send me back again in about 18 months the next time there's heavy technical work planned, so I made the most of the free time I had to take a few rides and get a few pictures.

On July-23-19 at 2:14 AM, armorand said:

Fingers crossed a couple end up being preserved in working order in Canada, especially in Edmonton since that's what kicked off light rail in North America.  My understanding is that there are three units from San Diego in preservation at museums now.  It sounds like there's been some problems with glitchy performance largely stemming from the relays on the control system's cards acting up.  I'm not sure if it's been coming down to outright failures or if it's due to bad/noisy connections due to dirty contacts but I do know Rockhill's had to remove and replace a relay on one of the control boards and that one of the others has been acting up lately but the cause of the trouble hasn't been determined yet.

I'd say at least 5 more years. They need to order replacement cars yet and that's a few years away plus another few years for delivery.

Now that these cars are retiring there's an abundance of spare parts for museums and such.

Ah, ok.  I wasn't sure if U2 replacement was completely underway yet since I'd heard that some of them were gone and there are new LRVs arriving.  I saw one on CP's track on either Sunday or Monday evening ready to be delivered to Calgary Transit when I took a ride down to Somerset after work wound down for the day.  I didn't realize that the incoming deliveries wouldn't be enough to retire the U2s completely, so yes with the lead time on placing orders and getting them built and delivered, you're probably right about five more years or so.

My understanding is that the supply of spares for the San Diego cars that are in museums along with the technical documentation isn't that great just because of the circumstances of how things wound up happening so hopefully Calgary Transit and ETS will be able to help out with that as they wind down their fleets over the next few years, and I hope they keep a historic train on each of the two systems in Alberta.  It'd be unfortunate to see the TTC's mistake of not keeping a historic train of their original cars be repeated.

1 minute ago, newcdn said:

Why aren't they painting purple at the front too? Whats the logic behind this mismatch? 

It's just a promotional ad wrap

On 8/5/2019 at 9:32 PM, newcdn said:

Why aren't they painting purple at the front too? Whats the logic behind this mismatch? 

^ ad wrap

Compared to Winnipeg's blank livery though, I'm not complaining. 😛

A city bus tried to do a u-turn on Peigan Trail SE and high centered himself.  Broke something in the process and he is currently completely blocking the Westbound lane.  Avoid if possible.  Backups have started.

Screenshot_20190809-080916_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3