Random Photos - Calgary and Area

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

Excuse the poor quality of the photo, but just look at the falling third brake light underneath the rear sign...

FWIW, I'd say that's an excellent photo!

Rich color, multiple layers of depth -- each one in effective focus -- and it includes other "city stuff" that's often of interest to transit fans. Plus it shows the bus at a cool and unusual angle.

I'd take a "true-to-life" photo any day over an artificially pristine shot. Would be happy to see more photos like this of buses in their natural habitat!

If nothing else, it just inflames my disappointment that Calgary Transit discontinued the rear window after the first Novas.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

If nothing else, it just inflames my disappointment that Calgary Transit discontinued the rear window after the first Novas.

I do like the rear windows, but unfortunately a lot of the time in the winter time, they're covered in dirt, snow and other crap making them super hard to see through.  It's a shame, as they could be quite useful if they actually kept them clean.

On 8/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, TechSpotlight said:

I do like the rear windows, but unfortunately a lot of the time in the winter time, they're covered in dirt, snow and other crap making them super hard to see through.  It's a shame, as they could be quite useful if they actually kept them clean.

That would be a losing battle, even before it starts. As a bus moves forward, it creates a partial vacuum behind it. Since Nature abhors a vacuum, air and crud are swept up into the void.

17 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

That would be a losing battle, even before it starts. As a bus moves forward, it creates a partial vacuum behind it. Since Nature abhors a vacuum, air and crud are swept up into the void.

Thats why you see the school busses with spoilers/wind deflectors, they direct air flow down the back to help keep the rear windows clear.

Screenshot_20200806-093619_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, downbeat said:

Calgary Transit’s LNG buses hit the streets yesterday for the first time since April. Here’s 8363 deadheading through downtown during the Monday afternoon peak.

E859179E-7A76-4264-92C7-F4E9DF506C39.jpeg

Also noticed one at Brentwood on Monday morning as well, didn't catch what route it was on, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday was the last day of service for Route 164 Aspen Summit. I ended up photographing 1257 on it yesterday afternoon, which was the last bus to serve the route.  Ridership from what I've been seeing over these past two years has been poor on this route (except for select trips used by students of Ernest Manning High School).  

Calgary Transit 1257 10-09-20.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

Ridership from what I've been seeing over these past two years has been poor on this route (except for select trips used by students of Ernest Manning High School).  

Theres still school route fixed service for the area schools, right? Or all on-demand only, as of now? CT mentioned no more conventional fixed routes, but they never mentioned school routes contracted by CBE or anything. Just out of curiosity.