BC Transit Fleet/General Notes

4 hours ago, CV92 said:

2009 Novas are going through engine overhauls and other upgrades. I would guess it'll be on its way out once those projects are complete. 

Aren't the 2009s not supposed to receive those upgrades? They're due for retirement in 2021 owing to BC Transit's 12-year life expectancy for post-2008 buses.

On 9/26/2019 at 4:33 PM, SidneyTransitfan said:

Aren't the 2009s not supposed to receive those upgrades? They're due for retirement in 2021 owing to BC Transit's 12-year life expectancy for post-2008 buses.

There is still major mechanical work that is done to help a bus to 13 (not 12) years :) 

On 9/26/2019 at 4:33 PM, SidneyTransitfan said:

BC Transit's 12-year life expectancy

Meanwhile Victoria continues enjoying New Flyers from the 90's. Are they seriously retiring the Novas before they are replacing the old beat-up red white and blue Flyers with flip-dots? 

1 hour ago, InfiNorth said:

Meanwhile Victoria continues enjoying New Flyers from the 90's. Are they seriously retiring the Novas before they are replacing the old beat-up red white and blue Flyers with flip-dots? 

Nope, the 1996 and 1998 Flyers will be next to go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Novas have until at least 2022/2023 (they arrived in 2010)

That seems like a very short lifespan for a modern vehicle. 

10 hours ago, CV92 said:

Nope, the 1996 and 1998 Flyers will be next to go. 

Good, although I have to say they sure knew how to make bus seats comfortable back when they built them. Are they being scrapped or sold?

It was mentioned some time ago that the reason for the buses' shorter lifespan is due to the amount of overhaul work and associated costs that are needed to keep them running past the 12-year mark. Part of this is driven by how the buses are designed to comply with - but not necessarily exceed - requirements for US FTA funding grants for US transit agencies. 

12 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

An XN40 just received a full driver door (Youtube video posted by BC Transit). Not sure which one it is. 

1142. Read up a bunch of posts and you'll see it's there for testing (Victoria is the newest to get CNG apart from cfv). Unless it came with drive barrier pre installed. (I'm not in Victoria so i can only assume)

1 hour ago, Busmanic92 said:

1142. Read up a bunch of posts and you'll see it's there for testing (Victoria is the newest to get CNG apart from cfv). Unless it came with drive barrier pre installed. (I'm not in Victoria so i can only assume)

Yeah, that makes sense, that's one of Victoria's transit yards in the background (VTC I think) and 1142 was here. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dane said:

It is 1142. We did some training with it at work, because there's almost more risk in being stuck IN... But anyways, here we go...

Speaking of Victoria getting 21 of the next order of xn40. Are they all based out of vtc or LTC (Victoria or landlord)? 21 xn40 equals 21 old ones gone! (The drivers may be sad to see them go though)

3 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

Speaking of Victoria getting 21 of the next order of xn40. Are they all based out of vtc or LTC (Victoria or landlord)? 21 xn40 equals 21 old ones gone! (The drivers may be sad to see them go though)

They will be out of LTC (Langford), as the FortisBC natural gas station is a block away from the yard, on Langford Parkway. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Up in Whistler today and saw 9818 and 9820 with all of the Victoria advertisements removed and parked with the XN40s which makes me think they will be used for the ski season this year since a few of the newer XN40s were transfered out. D40LF 9750 is also parked at the back of the garage. I also saw dart 9062 on a tow truck heading south between Whistler and Squamish which was the last dart stored in Whistler by the looks of it 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

XN40 1142 has returned to Whistler. Also to Whistler is their first new XN40 1148. A newspaper article in the local paper says this order of buses has the new white LED destination signs, driver barriers already installed, aswell as newer bike racks which will eventually be rolled out province wide to accommodate bikes with larger wheels. D40LF 9846 has also been transfered to Whister for storage