On 7/13/2017 at 4:40 PM, Cathay 888 said:

Some rumour I heard for the former Kamloops with Cummins engine D40LF 9867 & 9868 were transferred to Victoria, does anyone can confirm for that about these 2 unique D40LFs??

9867 is here, with the Cummins engine. I saw it going by on the Rt 30 today. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stumbled across 8110, 9754, 9755, 9052, and 9062 at a scrap yard in Squamish this afternoon

I'll preface this by saying I'm not affiliated with BC Transit, nor do I communicate with any employees on a regular basis; so the rest of this post will be speculation or repeating what I've heard el

I can tell you they struggle up hills! 

Posted Images

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, Matt Dunlop said:

9867 is here, with the Cummins engine. I saw it going by on the Rt 30 today. 

I got mine yesterday for 9867 @ 22

9867_22_left_zpsgraffoz8.jpg

9867_22_right_zpsnxi68pll.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit late to report on this news story, but BC Transit is taking delivery of 11 Arboc shuttles this year. Distribution is reported as follows:

- 3 units to 100 Mile House;

- 4 units to Alberni-Clayoquot Custom Transit System (Port Alberni);

- 2 units to Cranbrook;

- 1 unit to Salt Spring Island;

- 1 unit to Merritt.

100 Mile House and Port Alberni will have their entire fleets swapped out, likely for consistency as the new Arbocs will be gas-powered; the current buses will get transferred to other communities to replace whatever 2010 Arbocs are still around, along with any Polars still in the contingency fleet. Cranbrook may have both of their Arboc units transferred out as well, unless their Sprinter is getting replaced. The one bus each for Salt Spring Island and Merritt are probably to expand their spare ratios; Salt Spring Island particularly had 5 Polars replaced by 4 new Arbocs last year.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just saw 9228 and 9229 on Highway 1 heading East from Canmore. Are they heading to Big Rig in Calgary for rebuilds? They don't have any system markings on the top, but from the Wiki, I think they were last in Sunshine Coast. Can't believe it's been 11 years since I've seen 9228. Still remember photographing it brand new in the Nanaimo yard when it wasn't even in service yet.

4 hours ago, Vancouver said:

Just saw 9228 and 9229 on Highway 1 heading East from Canmore. Are they heading to Big Rig in Calgary for rebuilds? They don't have any system markings on the top, but from the Wiki, I think they were last in Sunshine Coast. Can't believe it's been 11 years since I've seen 9228. Still remember photographing it brand new in the Nanaimo yard when it wasn't even in service yet.

I believe 9230 and 9231, also Sunshine Coast units, were spotted recently in Big Rig getting refurbished. They are 2006 coaches so 11 years old - overdue for their midlife refurb at this point.

Sunshine Coast has pushed their service improvements planned for the fall back due to the ferry summer schedule being extended; as a result, with their recently delivered Vicinity buses in service (and a contingency D40LF) they have a surplus of vehicles, so they can afford to send out multiple units at once.

• 4 weeks later...

BC Transit website is rolling out more articles on future bus deliveries...

• Comox Valley will be receiving four 30' Vicinity buses this fall (already identified as 4049-4052).
  • Cranbrook has received two 30' Vicinity buses this summer/fall, 4037-4038. I guess they will be continuing to have at least 3 Darts for the short/medium term, as no other upcoming deliveries are mentioned in the article.
  • Kitimat will be receiving two 30' Vicinity buses this fall (already identified as 4053-4054), and three 35' Vicinity buses in 2018, which should replace their entire fleet of Darts.
  • Kitimat will also be receiving two 35' Vicinity buses to operate on the Skeena routes (11-14).
  • Port Alberni has received five 30' Vicinity buses, 4044-4048, to replace their entire fleet.
  • Prince Rupert & Port Edward will receive three 30' Vicinity buses this fall (already identified as 4055-4057), and two 35' Vicinity buses in 2018. Not sure if they will have a 6th Vicinity at some point, as they currently require 6 buses (3 for Prince Rupert, 1 for Port Edward, 2 spares).
  • Terrace will receive three 35' Vicinity buses in 2018, which will replace their entire fleet.
  • West Kootenay (Trail/Castlegar) should be receiving two 30' Vicinity buses this year (already identified as 4039-4040), and five Vicinity buses in 2018 (length not stated in the article, but should be 35' based on the pattern in other articles). I'm not sure how many Darts are currently assigned to Trail (Wiki currently lists 13), so they may need to keep some Darts around as backup/contingency.

So that gives the allocation for 15 of the 33 35' Vicinity buses to arrive in 2018, and none of the 30' Vicinity buses arriving in 2018. Some systems running Darts (Fort St. John, Williams Lake to name a few) don't have any info on future deliveries, so some will probably go there too.

• Like 1

Im thinking Squamish could be a potential candidate for 2-3 of the 30 footers since they still have 2 darts (9084 and 9905)  in service. Their recent service expansion had 5 vicinitys replacing 4 of 6 darts. There is also another expansion planned for 2018/19 requiring another bus

8 hours ago, Rd320 said:

Im thinking Squamish could be a potential candidate for 2-3 of the 30 footers since they still have 2 darts (9084 and 9905)  in service. Their recent service expansion had 5 vicinitys replacing 4 of 6 darts. There is also another expansion planned for 2018/19 requiring another bus

How are they even able to store 7 buses (plus the HandyDart vehicles)?! Their yard is a postage stamp that has difficulty making even making 5 30' Darts fit...

2 hours ago, Articulated said:

How are they even able to store 7 buses (plus the HandyDart vehicles)?! Their yard is a postage stamp that has difficulty making even making 5 30' Darts fit...

It looks like they can store 3 behind the garage, 4 or 5 beside it and they have 3 bays inside the garage. They've put up fencing in the last year which now restricts the space they have but I remember when whistler retired all their 35 foot orions they were all stored in the squamish yard before they got scrapped, along with the 4 darts and 3 mci classics and 2 handydarts squamish had at the time

• 2 weeks later...

For those who recall or have knowledge of the process: when were the Dennis Darts ordered? I'm curious as to BC Transit didn't end up getting the Thomas Dennis SLF since they are essentially the same bus.

4 hours ago, ADB said:

For those who recall or have knowledge of the process: when were the Dennis Darts ordered? I'm curious as to BC Transit didn't end up getting the Thomas Dennis SLF since they are essentially the same bus.

I just talked to a Victoria mechanic (who's been around since 1990) and he said the Darts were ordered in 1998, same time as 2000 Trident III deckers. The Darts first showed up in late 2000. I actually just read an old riders guide online where BC Transit had 150 low-floor accessible buses in late 2000. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I just talked to a Victoria mechanic (who's been around since 1990) and he said the Darts were ordered in 1998, same time as 2000 Trident III deckers. The Darts first showed up in late 2000. I actually just read an old riders guide online where BC Transit had 150 low-floor accessible buses in late 2000. 

Interesting, thanks. So the order just predates the joint venture between Dennis and Thomas.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2017 at 12:53 PM, Vancouver said:

And they are now back from refurbishing at Big Rig and on their way back to BC in the new livery. Saw them heading Westbound between Morley and Highway 22 this afternoon. Are they going back to Sunshine Coast?

1 hour ago, Vancouver said:

And they are now back from refurbishing at Big Rig and on their way back to BC in the new livery. Saw them heading Westbound between Morley and Highway 22 this afternoon. Are they going back to Sunshine Coast?

Saw a picture today of 9230 refurbished in Langdale, so I would assume they are all returning to their original system. Sunshine Coast still seems to be holding onto its contingency D40LF 9752; if the refurbished LFS were going to a different system, there should have been permanent fleet movements to replace them.

• 4 weeks later...