mcooknell

BC Transit Fleet/General Notes

Ouch. The first BC Transit D40LF to die... RIP.

The last known location of that bus was Prince George. In the fall of 2009, all three of that system's remaining D40LFs were moved out. 8077 and 9852 appeared in Victoria in October, and 8076 became "unallocated", truth be told I had forgotten about the fact that we had a bus off the radar until Peter called me earlier today to tell me that this wrecked bus had appeared in Calgary.

I wonder if the bus lost control somewhere that caused a major damage.

P1150364.JPG

This is how quick it became unallocated from BC Transit. Not sure when this ended up in Calgary, however this joins another 2 former BC Transit bus that sits waiting for it's fate in Calgary... Ex-Victoria 871 has been sitting at National Motorcoach's yard since like 2003 or so, along with Ex-Victoria 858? that went in service with National as 159

P1150364.JPG

This is how quick it became unallocated from BC Transit. Not sure when this ended up in Calgary, however this joins another 2 former BC Transit bus that sits waiting for it's fate in Calgary... Ex-Victoria 871 has been sitting at National Motorcoach's yard since like 2003 or so, along with Ex-Victoria 858? that went in service with National as 159

Ex-Victoria 858 became 153 in National's fleet. They still have both of those Fishbowls as of today, but they have not moved in some time now.

Any word on the D40LF's that were sent to Calgary? Are they still at Big Rig and/or what's their status... photos?

I just got back from a weeks vacation and have not been down to Big Rig yet. I will try to get a look down there this coming weekend. Unless I find one parked outside the facility, I can't really get images of them. If I find anything I will post them here.

I've been informed by Coastal Skier that 6786 and 6756 are still active in Williams Lake!

Chris Cassidy

Right on Chris!..... I'd love to buy an 89 Orion if i could get my hands on one... 6713 sitting in Kelowna would be nice

Last year BC Transit was looking a solution to reduce particulate matter from the Tridents and 2004 Enviro500s. Does anyone know the result of that? The first time they tried, they couldn't find a DPF that fit the buses. I'm curious as to what they've come up with.

Any word on the D40LF's that were sent to Calgary? Are they still at Big Rig and/or what's their status... photos?

The last time I was down there about a week ago, I could still see them inside the closed bay doors through the little windows, but that's it.

The last time I was down there about a week ago, I could still see them inside the closed bay doors through the little windows, but that's it.

I spotted one BC Transit D40LF sitting on a flatbed truck at the Petro-Can truck stop on the trans canada west of Calgary last night on my way to Banff. Didn't make out the number though.

I spotted one BC Transit D40LF sitting on a flatbed truck at the Petro-Can truck stop on the trans canada west of Calgary last night on my way to Banff. Didn't make out the number though.

Interesting! What livery was it in?

Interesting! What livery was it in?

The newer one, white body with green and black stripes running the length. The truck hauling it was pulled up in front of the station, so its probably back in BC by now. I had hoped it was still there when I came back late last night so I could try to see the fleet number, but it was gone by then.

The newer one, white body with green and black stripes running the length. The truck hauling it was pulled up in front of the station, so its probably back in BC by now. I had hoped it was still there when I came back late last night so I could try to see the fleet number, but it was gone by then.
Heh! That's what I suspected. I know that one stripe looks black, but it is a dark blue stripe.

Kinda kickin myself for not going down to check out Big Rig the last couple of days.

Excellent! I await your photos! :P

9849.jpg

9849 in Chilliwack in May of 2007^^

I was the irst one to drive this bus when we got it back in 1998, and drove it for 4 years... if you get pics, post them... was a sad day when it left a couple of months back

I was the irst one to drive this bus when we got it back in 1998, and drove it for 4 years... if you get pics, post them... was a sad day when it left a couple of months back

I remember when this one and 9850 arrived in Chilliwack. There was quite the hoopla over Chilliwack finally getting wheel chair accessible buses. They tried to make the same hoopla when 9923 and 9930 arrived a couple of years later. That never materialized though. Sad that they left Chilliwack. I thought for sure that they would run the rest of their years of service there.

Well they basically own all public buses in the province of BC, except for the Greater Vancouver area.

This information may not be current as of right now with all the bus moves, but is pretty recent: http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=BC_Transit

I knew that, but I just didn't realize that it was over 1000 buses. And the addition of 400 buses from last year. that is $160 million worth of buses (assuming $400k/bus, which is likely low). That seems strangely high to me.

I knew that, but I just didn't realize that it was over 1000 buses. And the addition of 400 buses from last year. that is $160 million worth of buses (assuming $400k/bus, which is likely low). That seems strangely high to me.

According to the current wiki-roster, there are between 550-611 conventional buses operating for BC Transit at this time. The rest will be small cutaway vans, and commuter coaches. Almost every community in BC has at least 1 cutaway bus.

Still 1000 seems a bit high to me, a figure of 800 seems more realistic.

The rest will be small cutaway vans, and commuter coaches.

Does BC Transit operate any commuter coaches?

Does BC Transit operate any commuter coaches?

They did during the games around the Olympics, but I have no idea if those continued. If they do, it would likely be in Fraser Valley. (For that matter, does Translink operate any commuter coaches? It seems to be a big thing for a lot of other transit operators.)