BC Transit Fleet/General Notes

Mainly accounting. They could get 20 years out of the newer buses if they wanted. In BCT's case, their research found that when factoring in the cost of running a modern bus 20+years and at the rate that new technologies are emerging, it's easier to take advantage of new developments with a higher fleet turnover - and avoid potentially costly repairs on a 15-17 year old vehicle. Plus it can also help eliminate some of that sticker shock for the smaller BCT communities that in the past have only replaced their buses every 20 years - prices go up a whole lot if you're only buying them once every 2 decades.

Buses pre-2008 have 2 engine replacements, 3 transmissions, differentials and a body refit over their 20- year lifespan.

2008 buses (incl. '08 deckers) are the same with those costs amortized over the 20 years.

Buses built 2009 and onwards have a 13 year lifespan with no body refit, no differential replacement, and only 1 engine and 2 transmission replacements.

EDIT: Made dinner while writing this post...see someone else answered it too :)

From what I understand, when the FTA in the US decided to push for 12-year replacement and actually help pay for it, that changed everybodies thinking very quickly.

The 39-passenger Vicinity buses have finally arrived!

Three senior managers from B.C. Transit travelled to China in late November to check on the assembly of 15 buses, only to be told that work on the first bus had not yet begun.

B.C. Transit representatives also expressed concern over the quality of workmanship.

The initial delivery date for the new buses was late December or early January. The 15 buses finally arrived May 1 in Vancouver, where they are undergoing inspections and licensing.

http://www.timescolo...s-show-1.175019

Agassiz/Harrison has approved replacing it's Polar and Arboc Community buses with 2 new "Viconity" buses. They will be operating on the Agassiz/Harrison beginning in late August/Early Sept. Was formally approved by the Fraser Valley Regional District thi past tuesday.

Oh and if you check out Bc Transit's site, you can take a virtual tour of the Vicinity bus.

http://www.photoplan...ano-project.swf

Though I scarily worry that this "New" bus, is nothing more than a hunk of crap bus similar to that of a Dennis Dart 30"

...That being said from a current driver (myself)

Here's a report I found online about the Yaxings going to the District of Kent (Agassiz/Harrison)

http://www.fvrd.bc.ca/InsidetheFVRD/MeetingsAgendasMinutes/BoardofDirectors/Agenda%20Documents/Staff%20report%20dtd%202013%2004%2017%20re%20BC%20Transit%20Review%20of%20Agassiz%20Harrison%20Transit%20Sys%20Capacity%20Problems.pdf

From the sounds of it, the route has experience a steady ridership increase since it's last service increase a few years ago. So much so, that people are being passed up during peak hours.

It'll be interesting to see how they do out there, and even more interesting to see what the locals think of them.

Agassiz/Harrison has approved replacing it's Polar and Arboc Community buses with 2 new "Viconity" buses. They will be operating on the Agassiz/Harrison beginning in late August/Early Sept. Was formally approved by the Fraser Valley Regional District thi past tuesday. Oh and if you check out Bc Transit's site, you can take a virtual tour of the Vicinity bus. http://www.photoplan...ano-project.swf Though I scarily worry that this "New" bus, is nothing more than a hunk of crap bus similar to that of a Dennis Dart 30" ...That being said from a current driver (myself)

Thanks for sharing! As a driver, would you rather drive an Arboc or the Vicinity?

Three senior managers from B.C. Transit travelled to China in late November to check on the assembly of 15 buses, only to be told that work on the first bus had not yet begun.

B.C. Transit representatives also expressed concern over the quality of workmanship.

Questionable quality? Made in China?! Nooooo. C'est impossible!

If you've seen the state of some of the King Long buses here in Taiwan, you'd question the quality of workmanship too...

Thanks for sharing! As a driver, would you rather drive an Arboc or the Vicinity?

The Arboc doesn't look proper to greet passengers with. All jammed up against the dash (same issue with the old "micro" handy darts)

I like new, so ill take the Vicinity. Though it does remind me an awful lot of a Dennis Dart

• 2 weeks later...

The 39-passenger Vicinity buses have finally arrived!

The initial delivery date for the new buses was late December or early January. The 15 buses finally arrived May 1 in Vancouver, where they are undergoing inspections and licensing.

http://www.timescolo...s-show-1.175019

There's a few subtle changes to the production batch, most noticeable is the headlights.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/8755168397/

Remember that mysterious C40LF that was parked at the BMT facility in West Sidney? According to Matt Dunlop - who talked to the staff at the former Gray Line yard where it is now - it is to be used as a cruise ship shuttle by Wilson's, and not at all by BC Transit. Of course that won't stop BC Transit from asking to use the bus as a demonstrator if they wish, but the coach is apparently not for BC Transit's use at this time.

(Edit May 26th: Avoiding double post)

This evening I noticed 9383 and 9384 heading onto the 5pm Swartz Bay sailing from Tsawwassen. At first I thought it was just a regular transfer from Prevost in Delta - but upon closer inspection I noticed that both buses had passengers on board. Not sure what to make of that.

IMG_3448.JPG

This evening I noticed 9383 and 9384 heading onto the 5pm Swartz Bay sailing from Tsawwassen. At first I thought it was just a regular transfer from Prevost in Delta - but upon closer inspection I noticed that both buses had passengers on board. Not sure what to make of that.

Was the bus rodeo in Vancouver recently held? Victoria has sent a bus or two over to BTC in the past with operators heading over to the bus rodeo. This is about the right time of the year for the bus rodeo if I remember correctly.

Laura and I saw those same two Novas waiting to catch the 9am over from Swartz Bay. They must have done a short trip into Vancouver for few hours.

Was the bus rodeo in Vancouver recently held? Victoria has sent a bus or two over to BTC in the past with operators heading over to the bus rodeo. This is about the right time of the year for the bus rodeo if I remember correctly.

BC Transit hasn't sent over a bus to a Vancouver rodeo for a number of years. Plus, the rodeo isn't until June I believe.

anyone got any news regarding to the 3 ex-Ottawa Enviro 500?

Yep, just haven't posted anything.

i am wondering where is the demo 7130 right now? Thx

Last time anybody saw it, it was in Victoria Transit Center during the CAW 333 strike action. Where it is now? Your guess is as good as mine, most likely it was sent back to Grande West Transportation or whoever it was that owned it.