BC Transit Fleet/General Notes

A friend who is an Operator in Victoria drove 9442 last Friday and mentioned that this batch have ZF transmissions. I would guess that they are the Eclolife model then. I am a bit surprised BCT got these with the ZF transmissions after years and years of Voith transmission.

He was so excited to drive it!

Not sure what sort of life span BC Transit is expecting from their Novas... Walking home the other day, I heard 9378 pass me with what sounded like a rod knock...

That wouldn't have anything to do with the manufacturer of the bus though as engines can be swapped out for new or rebuilt engines and the bus goes back on the road. However, I am sure you are completely aware of these things :P !

Do they really expect less life from the newer buses or is this just an accounting change?

My belief is that in 2006/7 when the last L-Drive Novabuses were ordered, they were to be the last ones that will be subjected to a mid-life rebuild around the 11-year mark, whereas the newer Novabuses (and perhaps the LFRs in Whistler too) will be retired around the 13-year mark and not given a mid-life (at least not at the 11-year mark anyway).

On 4/17/2013 at 11:59 AM, MAX BRT said:

Do they really expect less life from the newer buses or is this just an accounting change?

Mainly accounting. They could get 20 years out of the newer buses if they wanted. In BCT's case, their research found that when factoring in the cost of running a modern bus 20+years and at the rate that new technologies are emerging, it's easier to take advantage of new developments with a higher fleet turnover - and avoid potentially costly repairs on a 15-17 year old vehicle. Plus it can also help eliminate some of that sticker shock for the smaller BCT communities that in the past have only replaced their buses every 20 years - prices go up a whole lot if you're only buying them once every 2 decades.

Buses pre-2008 have 2 engine replacements, 3 transmissions, differentials and a body refit over their 20- year lifespan.

2008 buses (incl. '08 deckers) are the same with those costs amortized over the 20 years.

Buses built 2009 and onwards have a 13 year lifespan with no body refit, no differential replacement, and only 1 engine and 2 transmission replacements.

EDIT: Made dinner while writing this post...see someone else answered it too :)

That wouldn't have anything to do with the manufacturer of the bus though as engines can be swapped out for new or rebuilt engines and the bus goes back on the road. However, I am sure you are completely aware of these things :P !

It was more just a comment on the quality of the vehicle in general. It may well have been something completely different, as rod knock can only be properly diagnosed by dropping the pan and finding the loose rod, something difficult to do on the side of the road.

Something I've been meaning to post since Thursday... That morning around 0930 I spotted 8038 heading southbound on the Pat Bay Highway sporting temporary operating permits...

Mainly accounting. They could get 20 years out of the newer buses if they wanted. In BCT's case, their research found that when factoring in the cost of running a modern bus 20+years and at the rate that new technologies are emerging, it's easier to take advantage of new developments with a higher fleet turnover - and avoid potentially costly repairs on a 15-17 year old vehicle. Plus it can also help eliminate some of that sticker shock for the smaller BCT communities that in the past have only replaced their buses every 20 years - prices go up a whole lot if you're only buying them once every 2 decades.

Buses pre-2008 have 2 engine replacements, 3 transmissions, differentials and a body refit over their 20- year lifespan.

2008 buses (incl. '08 deckers) are the same with those costs amortized over the 20 years.

Buses built 2009 and onwards have a 13 year lifespan with no body refit, no differential replacement, and only 1 engine and 2 transmission replacements.

EDIT: Made dinner while writing this pos...see someone else answered it too:)

Considering that they bought heavy duty buses, those figures fall in line with the expectations of other properties.

Don't know exact details, but Nova gives a 12 year warranty on the chassis/shell, this could be a factor, since D40LFs, Darts, and Tridents have all had frame and sidewall issues requiring rehabilitation.

8038 on a temp going southbound? either being test driven, or the bus scared the driver on the way to another property and he turned around before Swartz Bay.

Spotted one of the 9435-9440 group in the coumpound at VTC. Can't remember which one.

Don't know exact details, but Nova gives a 12 year warranty on the chassis/shell, this could be a factor, since D40LFs, Darts, and Tridents have all had frame and sidewall issues requiring rehabilitation.

8038 on a temp going southbound? either being test driven, or the bus scared the driver on the way to another property and he turned around before Swartz Bay.

Spotted one of the 9435-9440 group in the coumpound at VTC. Can't remember which one.

Call it 803x then. I was heading the other way in the work truck, so with a closing speed of 200 km/h, I could have easily been mistaken. I am certain, however, that whichever bus it was did indeed have temporary permits.

Spotted 9938 heading NB Pat Bay Hwy just north of Haliburton this afternoon around 3pm, while I was headed SB in my truck.

1440 NB at Mt Newton. I was wondering which bus that was, I didn't catch the number myself.

All the D40LFs which were at the yard formerly known as Pacific Steel have been crushed. A couple of polars still there.

Several 1992s have been deplated and parked at LTC's back wall. 8022, 8027, 8029, 8030, and at least one other, 8018 or 19, couldn't read it for sure. Have seen 8014 8021 and 8024 in service this week. LTC fleet now includes a few novas.

All the D40LFs which were at the yard formerly known as Pacific Steel have been crushed. A couple of polars still there.

Several 1992s have been deplated and parked at LTC's back wall. 8022, 8027, 8029, 8030, and at least one other, 8018 or 19, couldn't read it for sure. Have seen 8014 8021 and 8024 in service this week. LTC fleet now includes a few novas.

It took them long enough to be crushed :( hopefully the 92s won't be the next to go

Those are all 1992s.

All except 8026 which was one of the three 1993-built buses.

the good 92s should be around as contingency buses. the dead (8011, 8020) or dying (8016) ones maybe not so lucky

It's believed 8011 has already been shredded. 8016 is falling apart, so yes I agree. As far as 8020 goes - I think the only problem with it is a bad starter or a bad battery. I was probably the last one to see it at Royal Oak exchange back in February when it refused to start, it's been at the east wall since.

All except 8026 which was one of the three 1993-built buses.

It's believed 8011 has already been shredded. 8016 is falling apart, so yes I agree. As far as 8020 goes - I think the only problem with it is a bad starter or a bad battery. I was probably the last one to see it at Royal Oak exchange back in February when it refused to start, it's been at the east wall since.

Would it be possible to post some pics? :)