BC Transit Fleet/General Notes

There's either a DE40LF at BMT, or a C40LF, I"m not sure which. I didn't get a close enough look at it to see if there were power cables running from the roof hump back. It was completely white, with Alcoa wheels, and no visible fleet numbers.

I bet that's ex-Kelowna #9102 now repaired and will probably show up in the new livery!

October conventional fleet movement report, from Mike Taylor-Noonan

Date:2012/10

8015 moved to Central Fraser Vly. from Victoria.

8015 status: to Stored(to Central Fraser Vly.)

9941 moved to Campbell River from Comox Valley.

9055 status: to Active ()

9088 moved to Fort St. John from Victoria.

9091 moved to Kitimat from Prince Rupert.

9909 moved to Kootenay (Trail) from Vernon.

8012 moved to Nanaimo from Victoria.

8012 status: to Stored(to Nanaimo)

9930 status: to Active ()

8023 status: to Stored()

9396 status: to Active ()

I don't know which bus it is, but I know it's not 9102 ;)

I'm over in Victoria for the weekend so I'll swing past BMT (if they're open) and see what I can find.

Chris Cassidy

No need Chris, I swung by myself and took a couple of shots. It's definitely not a BC Transit DE40LF, nor an ex. TransLink C40LF as I thought it might have been... the windows are the wrong type.

http://farm9.staticf...06faaaf6c_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticf...4512f2bb1_b.jpg

Also noticed a Dennis Dart peeking out of the bodyshop... but I couldn't identify it and dared not to stop outside and find out... :D

No need Chris, I swung by myself and took a couple of shots. It's definitely not a BC Transit DE40LF, nor an ex. TransLink C40LF as I thought it might have been... the windows are the wrong type.

http://farm9.staticf...06faaaf6c_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticf...4512f2bb1_b.jpg

That looks like US based NFI C40LF CNG bus! What the hell is that thing doing up here! I am not sure where from... I almost thought it was a former San Diego unit, but the rear doors are the wrong specs.

I was at BMT delivering parts again this morning. 8023 is now parked in the compound. The unidentified C40LF was turned around, but I don't know what the rear end of a Translink C40LF looks like, so I have no basis for comparison. I"ll try and post a pic tomorrow.

I was at BMT delivering parts again this morning. 8023 is now parked in the compound. The unidentified C40LF was turned around, but I don't know what the rear end of a Translink C40LF looks like, so I have no basis for comparison. I"ll try and post a pic tomorrow.

It's not an ex. TransLink C40LF... the windows are the wrong type.

Doubt they'd put a 6V92 into a much newer bus.My guess is they're pulling parts for spares before it gets crushed.

Sadly I have to agree. As much as we'd like to see an ex. C40LF roaring around with a 6V92TA engine in the rear, it's not going to happen.

It's a shame, I liked that bus. It had so much power on the highway... and it roared beautifully too. Not to mention it was missing that upper red stripe so it had a unique look from the front.

November garage movements

9905 moved to Port Edward from Prince Rupert.

0114 status: to Active ()

9082 moved to Cowichan Valley from Prince George.

9082 status: to Stored(to Cowichan Valley)

9345 moved to Whistler from Victoria.

9362 moved to Whistler from Victoria.

9363 moved to Whistler from Victoria.

9066 moved to Victoria from Cowichan Valley.

These would be the replacement buses for the 1994/95 Flyers. Bets on how many years those buses run after being replaced? 7 of 9 1991s still going strong, and a majority of 1992s.

I assume you mean Nanaimo's 1994/1995 Flyers? Victoria doesn't have the facilities for CNG buses. Nanaimo might...

Also, saw 9066 in service today on a Route 3. It just spent some time stored up in Duncan.

BC Transit has just put out this RFP for "Heavy Duty Low Floor Transit Buses - CNG" http://www.transitbc...transit_RFP.pdf

Nice find! And the Times Colonist is on the story. Article here:

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/natural-gas-buses-could-roll-into-victoria-1.35818

B.C. Transit is buying at least 25 and as many as 50 new buses powered by compressed natural gas that is cleaner and cheaper to use than the diesel fuel used for the majority of its fleet.

Transit hopes to identify the community that will get the new buses next month, Transit spokeswoman Meribeth Burton said Thursday. Greater Victoria is among the contenders, along with at least one community on the Lower Mainland.

The pilot program begins with five buses delivered by Feb. 28, 2014, followed by 20 more buses by the end of March 2014. If another 25 are purchased, they would be delivered by May 29, 2015.

I wonder if maybe BCT is trying to use this to jumpstart the Glanford facility/3rd garage ("We need somewhere for a CNG fueling station!").

Anyways, if more than 10 go to Nanaimo I'd expect a lot more to leave than just their 2-strokes moving/retiring and '94-'95s relegated to contingency, ditto for anywhere on Mainland, and if Victoria gets the bulk I'd speculate some of the T-Drives get dispersed to replace retirement age vehicles at diesel-only properties as the article suggests they are mainly to be replacements.

Bets on how many years those buses run after being replaced? 7 of 9 1991s still going strong, and a majority of 1992s.

I have a gut feeling that most won't last as long as however long the '91s and '92s end up going for. Although I also hope that the 2-strokes last forever :)

Victoria might be able to support a trial, I believe the City yard still has a CNG fueling station which is close by to VTC. The unit at BMT is certainly related to this project. As for who gets the big order, Vic would make sense there too as they have the greatest number of 1992 1994 and 1995 Flyers (about 40) and buuilding CNG facilites at one property makes more sense.

I swear I heard somewhere that Abbotsford was going to do a natural gas trial.....

Yes, there was a report about BC Transit doing an LNG trial in Abbotsford because there's an LNG station practically next door to the transit facility there. From what I remember it was for a trial of 2 buses, but I can't remember anything else about it.