Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 6/11/2018 at 5:51 PM, Articulated said:

Spotted a Safeway-branded coach with the fleet # of 8803 this afternoon. Too far away to see the legals. Anyone know which company this is?

It's Pacific Western. They did not use the 58xx series. It must be at the request of Safeway to use the 88xx series.

On 6/7/2018 at 10:17 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

Great Canadian and Attridge definitely got at least one new one.  GTA Crew probably not and Pacific Western is a maybe.

They all got new buses, PW numbered the new buses in the 88xx series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New Buses have arrived and some have been out since this past weekend. I am hearing Attridge has 6 for Safeway (2 have seat modifications) and Coach Canada has 4. Great Canadian is expected to debut t

GTA has at least one new h3-45.  Coach Canada has at least one in service with the fleet number 93XXX.  I assume there is no 93004 due to chinese people's superstition over the number 4.     Edit

Posted Images

  • 5 months later...

Coach Canada is done with Safeway for their Casino Runs according to my source. They may pull out by next year spring when the remaining companies take delivery of the new buses.Safeway can still use them for their US Tours but with a Coach Canada brand bus.

Attridge may purchase 13 brand new Coaches for Safeway.

Great Canadian Coaches is supposed to buy 13 brand new Coaches for Safeway but still not confirmed.

I heard nothing from PW or GTA Crew about bus purchases.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NeOn Bus Rider said:

Coach Canada is done with Safeway for their Casino Runs according to my source. They may pull out by next year spring when the remaining companies take delivery of the new buses.Safeway can still use them for their US Tours but with a Coach Canada brand bus.

Attridge may purchase 13 brand new Coaches for Safeway.

Great Canadian Coaches is supposed to buy 13 brand new Coaches for Safeway but still not confirmed.

I heard nothing from PW or GTA Crew about bus purchases.

It’s not surprising about coach Canada, they shot themselves in the foot with Safeway management by cutting their drivers max hours to 10 vs 13 and governing all coaches to 109 km/h. Safeway demands at least 2 round trips by buses from fallsview to as far as Scarborough and that really only leaves CC with the overnight runs because of no traffic 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uwe said:

Yeah... putting operator, customer, and other road user's safety by taking steps to limit fatigue and excessive speeding is a real bad move.  

I’d agree with you if I had not worked for them before my current position 

limiting the hours we could drive really affected the bottom line in terms of work we could get and as a professional driver we’re more then capable of doing the legal max of 13 

the speed, although you may not realize all charter companies go at least 116km/h, as a coach operator when I can’t get over 109 and I’m constantly stuck in the slow lane having to brake then accelerate but not able to go around a car doing 107, it poses a safety risk greater then a constant speed. The higher speeds aren’t for aggresive driving, it’s for safe consistent defensive driving 

@Shaun they do need the work Safeway gives them because without it there’s a lot of drivers not working, when Safeway first started coach Canada was purposely ordering the MCI J series with the ZF transmission causing extremely jerky operations because it was cheaper for maintenance and purchase. When Safeway started using CC they told them you need the H3-45 so they did but bought them with the ZF again and that didn’t please Safeway, it wasn’t until recently they went with Allison’s because now coach Canada is relying on Safeway contracts due to lack of charter work from cheaper competitors. Unfortunately with the news of the acquisition a lot of drivers at cc are being told to slowly start looking for employment elsewhere and go PT at coach Canada

Link to post
Share on other sites

So what was the reason for management or who ever that made the decision to govern buses to 109kmph instead of 116kmph? Fuel savings? Maintenance? Safety? 

 The newer ZF transmissions are much less jerky than their older counterparts. Isnt the VOLVO transmission also a manual/automatic transmission?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shaun said:

So what was the reason for management or who ever that made the decision to govern buses to 109kmph instead of 116kmph? Fuel savings? Maintenance? Safety? 

 The newer ZF transmissions are much less jerky than their older counterparts. Isnt the VOLVO transmission also a manual/automatic transmission?

From what I heard from the Grapevine, Coach Canada was originally Governed at 113 km/h and then went down to 109 km/h. When that happened, all the cruise control functions were disabled and Green Roads was added in addition to the E-Log device. The purpose of it was Safety and Green Roads monitored Driver Behavior to drive as smooth as possible. To my knowledge, Fuel and Maintenance was not a factor in that decision. This also applies to Coach USA.

It's not anything to do with what is more "Jerky" its how the vehicle is operated. If the driver, paid attention in training, there would not be any discomfort with the ZF AsTronic. It took me a month to figure out how to properly drive with a ZF AsTronic. Till this date none of the passengers have complained about my driving with a ZF AsTronic.

The Volvo I-Shift is just like the ZF AsTronic, a semi-automated transmission. The major difference besides the shift pad, is the ability to roll forward only without the clutch engaging. The ZF AsTronic always had the clutch engaged when at a full stop and would only disengage if the accelerator pedal was pressed or if the brake pedal was released for 3 seconds or more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shaun said:

So what was the reason for management or who ever that made the decision to govern buses to 109kmph instead of 116kmph? Fuel savings? Maintenance? Safety? 

 The newer ZF transmissions are much less jerky than their older counterparts. Isnt the VOLVO transmission also a manual/automatic transmission?

I don't mind the ZF's as much from driving them now everyday. Amazing on the highway. In city, unless you really know how to massage the pedal, you will get a jerky ride. Off the line takes a couple years to start moving too. Maintenance wise, they're temperamental at times. I've replaced only 2 yokes so far in 2 ZF equipped buses. All that decelerating and downshifting starts to take a toll on the drive shaft over time and eventually just snaps from the hard torsion. I would love to try the Volvo I shift if I ever get the chance to.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NeOn Bus Rider said:

From what I heard from the Grapevine, Coach Canada was originally Governed at 113 km/h and then went down to 109 km/h. When that happened, all the cruise control functions were disabled and Green Roads was added in addition to the E-Log device. The purpose of it was Safety and Green Roads monitored Driver Behavior to drive as smooth as possible. To my knowledge, Fuel and Maintenance was not a factor in that decision. This also applies to Coach USA.

It's not anything to do with what is more "Jerky" its how the vehicle is operated. If the driver, paid attention in training, there would not be any discomfort with the ZF AsTronic. It took me a month to figure out how to properly drive with a ZF AsTronic. Till this date none of the passengers have complained about my driving with a ZF AsTronic.

The Volvo I-Shift is just like the ZF AsTronic, a semi-automated transmission. The major difference besides the shift pad, is the ability to roll forward only without the clutch engaging. The ZF AsTronic always had the clutch engaged when at a full stop and would only disengage if the accelerator pedal was pressed or if the brake pedal was released for 3 seconds or more.

You nailed it for everything about coach Canada’s decisions, as for driving the ZF on the highway and in snow they handle beautifully however as you said in the city it takes skill to make a smooth ride and leaving Toronto terminal daily gives you practice but for sure the older J series ( 53000s-86000s) were much better to drive then the newer 88.89s 

cruise control was disabled which I believe was a smart choice to keep operators alert and green roads has a shady history with stagecoach and many have said there’s a lot of kickbacks and bonuses given for the installation. It always made me laugh that by reversing with the ZF since you rev the engine a bit the green roads would go “caution-yellow” 

edit: realized this is a Safeway thread, my apologies for bringing this off topic 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

There will be not much new Coaches this year with Safeway as they are forecasting poor ridership for their Multiday Chinese Tours due to trade relations between China and the US and the detention of the  Huawei executive ordered by US Law.

As far as I know Attridge is getting 5 H3-45s, Great Canadian Coaches was told to only buy 1 H3-45 instead of 3. I am not sure of the other operators if they're each buying at least 1 H3-45.

Coach Canada will remain with Safeway until the end of this year and only 1 unit will be left with Safeway wrap on it.

Great Canadian has already took off the wrap from 1515 last year and then was re-wrapped in white for another client, 1516 just had its Safeway wrap taken off.

Also with Great Canadian Coaches, they did buy 2 brand new 2018 MCI J4500s (8847 and 8848) last year fall. They are both powered by a DD13 Engine just like their Van Hools (1975 and 4942) with Allison Transmission. The MCIs with Great Canadian Coaches feature the Audi dash display with a 360 Camera. The new MCIs at Coach Canada are also powered by DD13 Engines which were used for Safeway.

This is all I know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NeOn Bus Rider said:

There will be not much new Coaches this year with Safeway as they are forecasting poor ridership for their Multiday Chinese Tours due to trade relations between China and the US and the detention of the  Huawei executive ordered by US Law.

As far as I know Attridge is getting 5 H3-45s, Great Canadian Coaches was told to only buy 1 H3-45 instead of 3. I am not sure of the other operators if they're each buying at least 1 H3-45.

Coach Canada will remain with Safeway until the end of this year and only 1 unit will be left with Safeway wrap on it.

Great Canadian has already took off the wrap from 1515 last year and then was re-wrapped in white for another client, 1516 just had its Safeway wrap taken off.

Also with Great Canadian Coaches, they did buy 2 brand new 2018 MCI J4500s (8847 and 8848) last year fall. They are both powered by a DD13 Engine just like their Van Hools (1975 and 4942) with Allison Transmission. The MCIs with Great Canadian Coaches feature the Audi dash display with a 360 Camera. The new MCIs at Coach Canada are also powered by DD13 Engines which were used for Safeway.

This is all I know.

Great Canadian used to buy a lot of h3-45, I wonder why they switch to MCI

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 2:22 PM, NeOn Bus Rider said:

Great Canadian has already took off the wrap from 1515 last year and then was re-wrapped in white for another client.

Looks like 1515 is now on the Mirvish Express contract. Saw this photo floating around the other day.

Image result for great canadian 1515

On 3/22/2019 at 8:59 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

Great Canadian used to buy a lot of h3-45, I wonder why they switch to MCI

I think it might be fleet diversity. I was talking with their safety and training manager, and he indicated that they are working on reducing the average age of the fleet, and adding some diversity in the vehicle options that they have for riders. They have 4 or 5 other MCI's in their fleet including the new ones, along with a couple Setra's and VanHools, although it still seems like they are still mostly buying Prevost's for their main fleet. They have a couple brand-new looking Prevost units sitting at their new London yard, that don't even have a wrap or decals on them yet, just the legal's on the first luggage bay door.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JCWhite said:

Looks like 1515 is now on the Mirvish Express contract. Saw this photo floating around the other day.

Image result for great canadian 1515

I think it might be fleet diversity. I was talking with their safety and training manager, and he indicated that they are working on reducing the average age of the fleet, and adding some diversity in the vehicle options that they have for riders. They have 4 or 5 other MCI's in their fleet including the new ones, along with a couple Setra's and VanHools, although it still seems like they are still mostly buying Prevost's for their main fleet. They have a couple brand-new looking Prevost units sitting at their new London yard, that don't even have a wrap or decals on them yet, just the legal's on the first luggage bay door.

in a way it is good in the event if there is a major recall like nova hybrids.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

in a way it is good in the event if there is a major recall like nova hybrids.  

Very true. Some fleets in the area that are exclusive to one brand/model, could have some very difficult challenges to overcome if a manufacturer puts out a recall, or stop usage notice on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 10:32 PM, JCWhite said:

Looks like 1515 is now on the Mirvish Express contract. Saw this photo floating around the other day.

 

I think it might be fleet diversity. I was talking with their safety and training manager, and he indicated that they are working on reducing the average age of the fleet, and adding some diversity in the vehicle options that they have for riders. They have 4 or 5 other MCI's in their fleet including the new ones, along with a couple Setra's and VanHools, although it still seems like they are still mostly buying Prevost's for their main fleet. They have a couple brand-new looking Prevost units sitting at their new London yard, that don't even have a wrap or decals on them yet, just the legal's on the first luggage bay door.

The originally had 6 MCIs 2007-2008 MY with Cat C13 and ZF, unit 265 is the only one with Allison. 2 of those MCIs were traded in for the 2 2018 MCIs with DD13 and Allison.

The Setra's are retired and sold off. The Van Hools are used for a Tech Client between Toronto and Waterloo.

Prevost is for Safeway and of course they buy some more for themselves for Great Canadian Holidays.

The new Prevost Coaches should arrive any day since 1516 was pulled from Safeway. Some more older H3s would be retired as well.

1515 was a former Safeway Unit.

Was the Safety Manager you spoke with a former GRT driver?

On 3/22/2019 at 8:59 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

Great Canadian used to buy a lot of h3-45, I wonder why they switch to MCI

It's not a switch, they still buy Prevost.

On 3/24/2019 at 7:44 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

in a way it is good in the event if there is a major recall like nova hybrids.  

The 2016 H3-45s were junk, quality on Prevost started to fall apart in 2014.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeOn Bus Rider said:

The originally had 6 MCIs 2007-2008 MY with Cat C13 and ZF, unit 265 is the only one with Allison. 2 of those MCIs were traded in for the 2 2018 MCIs with DD13 and Allison.

The Setra's are retired and sold off. The Van Hools are used for a Tech Client between Toronto and Waterloo.

Prevost is for Safeway and of course they buy some more for themselves for Great Canadian Holidays.

The new Prevost Coaches should arrive any day since 1516 was pulled from Safeway. Some more older H3s would be retired as well.

1515 was a former Safeway Unit.

Was the Safety Manager you spoke with a former GRT driver?

It's not a switch, they still buy Prevost.

The 2016 H3-45s were junk, quality on Prevost started to fall apart in 2014.

Wow, really? What happened in 2014 that led to this change in quality? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Prevost said:

Wow, really? What happened in 2014 that led to this change in quality? 

Everything lol

2014, electrical on accessories such as the sound system would turn it self on and off after shutting down the coach. Engine Fire came on for no reason.

In 2015, the hat rack doors would snap and break and you can't close them. AC compressor had electrical issues than anything which has continued into 2018 MY Coaches. Steering wheel Buttons never work so no cruise control.

2016, Every owner with any 2016 MY Prevost just broke down randomly, the pulley for the alternator belt would break its self apart and then the coach would shut it self down. Prevost had one heck of a warranty job across the continent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NeOn Bus Rider said:

Everything lol

2014, electrical on accessories such as the sound system would turn it self on and off after shutting down the coach. Engine Fire came on for no reason.

In 2015, the hat rack doors would snap and break and you can't close them. AC compressor had electrical issues than anything which has continued into 2018 MY Coaches. Steering wheel Buttons never work so no cruise control.

2016, Every owner with any 2016 MY Prevost just broke down randomly, the pulley for the alternator belt would break its self apart and then the coach would shut it self down. Prevost had one heck of a warranty job across the continent.

Hat racks I agree as those mounts where struts attach to wear over time and snap off. Steering wheels buttons I have experienced. One of our early 2013 H3-45's steering controls went out and drivers didn't realize the bus had a back up retarder button on the dash besides the steering wheel. So they'd set the retarder on the steering wheel when it wouldn't work without knowing. Brake jobs ahoy on that bus. Haven't had a lower alternator pulley go on our 2016's. Should be checking pulleys and listening to the bearings on regular maintenance checks. 

What annoys me are the engine door light assemblies using a mid grade bolt that corrodes with plastic nuts that hold it. Closed a door one day and both came falling down. And if a light was out, you gotta shell out $300 for a whole replacement assembly. Can't just replace the individual light that was out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 10 months later...

For 2020 like 2019, don't expect much from Safeway Tours. From what I was told, they have no Tours booked from the Mainland this summer. Great Canadian Coaches was told to only buy 1 new coach for this year. I am sure Attridge will buy less than 5. I haven't heard if other companies are buying buses or if any have been removed from Safeway Tours. As for Great Canadian, 1619 and 1623 are now repainted blue and are awaiting for their Great Canadian Wraps. Attridge has 6508 up for sale. Coach Canada is only doing 4-5 runs for Fallsview Casino, they still do the 2 runs from Niagara Falls with a 4 driver crew on the Niagara Falls Safeway Board. I should mention and perhaps if someone wants to get a photo of this coach, Great Canadian's 1937 for Safeway Tours has the Brigade 360 camera with drip lighting and CCTV inside the Coach. This unit commonly does the 11: 45am from Splendid China and then the 6:10pm from Broadview and Gerrard. This is all I have for now!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

For 2020 like 2019, don't expect much from Safeway Tours. From what I was told, they have no Tours booked from the Mainland this summer. Great Canadian Coaches was told to only buy 1 new coach for this year. I am sure Attridge will buy less than 5. I haven't heard if other companies are buying buses or if any have been removed from Safeway Tours. As for Great Canadian, 1619 and 1623 are now repainted blue and are awaiting for their Great Canadian Wraps. Attridge has 6508 up for sale. Coach Canada is only doing 4-5 runs for Fallsview Casino, they still do the 2 runs from Niagara Falls with a 4 driver crew on the Niagara Falls Safeway Board. I should mention and perhaps if someone wants to get a photo of this coach, Great Canadian's 1937 for Safeway Tours has the Brigade 360 camera with drip lighting and CCTV inside the Coach. This unit commonly does the 11: 45am from Splendid China and then the 6:10pm from Broadview and Gerrard. This is all I have for now!

Attridge is still running the first H3-45 coaches they purchased in 2015 for the contract, 6503 and 6505-6507. Previously Safeway had a strict 3-year maximum age for coaches - to see them relax on this standard definitely indicates they are running into more financial difficulties. GTA casino bus competition has also increased in recent years, with One Gaming setting up their network to both Great Blue Heron Casino and Woodbine Casino, and Mohawk Casino is offering a shuttle route from Peel Region. This is certainly biting into Safeway's revenue.

I have seen Safeway coaches for all five contracted companies (Attridge, Coach Canada, Great Canadian, GTA Crew, Pacific Western) in recent weeks so nobody has been dropped from the roster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...